The West Wing thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 am

Just for Sheringham. And me Smile.

Best non-"genre" show ever. Yay or nay?
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:32 am

Doc Filth wrote:Just for Sheringham. And me Smile.

Best non-"genre" show ever. Yay or nay?
Certainly in the very top of the best category. A series that simply repays multiple reviewings in spades.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by sheringham on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:35 am

I love it with all my heart.

Ringo (AKA Toby) is my hero.
avatar
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Age : 50
Location : On the sofa. Or at my desk.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

View user profile http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:37 am

I like Toby, but I'm much more of a Bartlett, Leo, Josh and CJ fan.
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 am

Doc Filth wrote:I like Toby, but I'm much more of a Bartlett, Leo, Josh and CJ fan.
Josh, CJ and Toby - the perfect trinity of over-lapping dialogue practitioners.

*although Sam wasn't exactly a slouch at it either*
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Zoltar on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Doc Filth wrote:Just for Sheringham. And me Smile.

Best non-"genre" show ever. Yay or nay?
Excellent series, though I lost touch with it somewhat after Sorkin left.
avatar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Age : 46
Location : The wilds of New Jersey
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:20 am

Zoltar wrote:
Doc Filth wrote:Just for Sheringham. And me Smile.

Best non-"genre" show ever. Yay or nay?
Excellent series, though I lost touch with it somewhat after Sorkin left.
Yes, same here. Although I plan on doing a mammoth "catch-up" session before too long. I freely admit I was more than a bit miffed by Sorkin's being unceremoniously forced out.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by sheringham on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:03 am

Series 5 is a bit 'meh'. Except for 'The Supremes'. And the explosive end of season finale. Series 6 picks up a bit and gets properly good once Josh resigns to go and work for Santos. The last 3 or 4 episodes are as good as most of TWW ever was. Series 7 is great, in the main. Although I hate what they did to toby. Sad
avatar
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Age : 50
Location : On the sofa. Or at my desk.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

View user profile http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Graymalkin on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:33 am

Never mind 'non-genre', it's clearly the best television programme ever. It may well be the best thing ever, in fact.

And made the real Presidential 'debates' look even more of a disappointing joke than they actually were.

Although the Toby stuff was clearly bollocks. I heard Schiff interviewed on Simon Mayo's Five Live programme once, where Mayo brought up how out-of-character Toby's actions were, and he said that, as far as he was concerned, Toby was merely covering for someone and taking the blame - and that he'd played it as such.

This may not be canon, however...

PS - Sam Seaborn FTW!!!
avatar
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Age : 44
Location : (Lucifer over) Lancaster
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by sheringham on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:50 am

Graymalkin wrote:Never mind 'non-genre', it's clearly the best television programme ever. It may well be the best thing ever, in fact.

And made the real Presidential 'debates' look even more of a disappointing joke than they actually were.

Although the Toby stuff was clearly bollocks. I heard Schiff interviewed on Simon Mayo's Five Live programme once, where Mayo brought up how out-of-character Toby's actions were, and he said that, as far as he was concerned, Toby was merely covering for someone and taking the blame - and that he'd played it as such.

This may not be canon, however...

PS - Sam Seaborn FTW!!!

I have always said he was covering for Leo. Or even Jed himself. But more likely Leo.
avatar
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Age : 50
Location : On the sofa. Or at my desk.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

View user profile http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Nick Barlow on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:00 am

sheringham wrote:I have always said he was covering for Leo. Or even Jed himself. But more likely Leo.
It'd have to be Leo, really, given that Jed had to be persuaded into giving Toby a pardon at the end of his Presidency.

I do recall reading somewhere that there are suggestions Sorkin had a bit of a hand in S7, which explains a lot. It also helped that they got away from the event-driven storylines of the last couple of years, let the electoral process become the important factor and got back to exploring the characters again.

_________________
"You\'re wrong, and you\'re a grotesquely ugly freak."
blog | livejournal | flickr | facebook | twitter
avatar
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Age : 45
Location : The oldest town in Britain
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Balbinder Mann on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

I've only just started watching this, believe it or not. I've just seen five episodes of Series 1.

I'm watching it on DVD through LoveFilm, really enjoying it so far.

One question - on the DVDs, are there any commentaries? I love commentaries, and especially for a series like this, they could be quite interesting....
avatar
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Age : 49
Location : Loiner-Land
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by delgadofan on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:21 am

Doc Filth wrote:Just for Sheringham. And me Smile.

Best non-"genre" show ever. Yay or nay?

A Yay from me, with David Simon's "The Wire" probably on a par.

In fact we watched all seven seasons of "The West Wing" within 4 months via that wonder of box-sets. Lapped it up even though Aaron Sorkin's departure was felt during the final few seasons.

delgadofan
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 121
Location : Surrey, Jupiter.
Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 am

Balbinder Mann wrote:I've only just started watching this, believe it or not. I've just seen five episodes of Series 1.

I'm watching it on DVD through LoveFilm, really enjoying it so far.

One question - on the DVDs, are there any commentaries? I love commentaries, and especially for a series like this, they could be quite interesting....

There's no commentaries on the season-by-season sets, but the full series boxset has a few. I'll let you know what they're like, after Christmas...Very Happy

_________________
Wielder of the Big Stick of Admin-dom. It has a nail in it.

From The Gospel According to Zoltar: "He's The Oncoming Spillage.

He's like whisky on ice, well-aged. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the pub. He's ancient and forever. He spills at the center of time and he can see the turn of the drinkliverse."

the-alchemist.org.uk siskoid.com/whoccg docfilth.blogspot.com
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:13 am

delgadofan wrote:
Doc Filth wrote:Just for Sheringham. And me Smile.

Best non-"genre" show ever. Yay or nay?

A Yay from me, with David Simon's "The Wire" probably on a par.

In fact we watched all seven seasons of "The West Wing" within 4 months via that wonder of box-sets. Lapped it up even though Aaron Sorkin's departure was felt during the final few seasons.

Yourself and Balbinder aren't the only ones to discover it late - I'd never seen a single episode until this summer, when I borrowed all the boxsets off a mate. Perhaps it's having a bit of a popularity resurgence this year, which seems quite apt considering the current state of American politics Smile.

And I agree with you about the post-Sorkin episodes - Seasons 5, particularly, seems incredibly laboured, compared with what came before. The last two seasons pick up again, but they never recapture the giddy heights of the previous 4 years.

_________________
Wielder of the Big Stick of Admin-dom. It has a nail in it.

From The Gospel According to Zoltar: "He's The Oncoming Spillage.

He's like whisky on ice, well-aged. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the pub. He's ancient and forever. He spills at the center of time and he can see the turn of the drinkliverse."

the-alchemist.org.uk siskoid.com/whoccg docfilth.blogspot.com
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Balbinder Mann on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:54 am

Doc Filth wrote:
Balbinder Mann wrote:I've only just started watching this, believe it or not. I've just seen five episodes of Series 1.

I'm watching it on DVD through LoveFilm, really enjoying it so far.

One question - on the DVDs, are there any commentaries? I love commentaries, and especially for a series like this, they could be quite interesting....

There's no commentaries on the season-by-season sets, but the full series boxset has a few. I'll let you know what they're like, after Christmas...Very Happy

Do you mean the £50 gubbins that they're selling in HMV?

I've seriously been thinking about buying that - it'll take me ages to copy borrow & watch the whole lot on LoveFilm! if its got commentaries, then its a definite for the New Year. Or it's a big hint to my brother for a Crimbo present - my God, this time of year is useful for all sorts of things..... Wink
avatar
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Age : 49
Location : Loiner-Land
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:07 pm

Balbinder Mann wrote:Do you mean the £50 gubbins that they're selling in HMV?

I've seriously been thinking about buying that - it'll take me ages to copy borrow & watch the whole lot on LoveFilm! if its got commentaries, then its a definite for the New Year. Or it's a big hint to my brother for a Crimbo present - my God, this time of year is useful for all sorts of things..... Wink

Precisely that boxset, yes. I'm getting it for Christmas, and apparently it has a handful of commentaries on each series - but, even if it was commentary-free, it'd be worth £50 for all 150-odd episodes.

_________________
Wielder of the Big Stick of Admin-dom. It has a nail in it.

From The Gospel According to Zoltar: "He's The Oncoming Spillage.

He's like whisky on ice, well-aged. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the pub. He's ancient and forever. He spills at the center of time and he can see the turn of the drinkliverse."

the-alchemist.org.uk siskoid.com/whoccg docfilth.blogspot.com
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Balbinder Mann on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 am

Doc Filth wrote:

Precisely that boxset, yes. I'm getting it for Christmas, and apparently it has a handful of commentaries on each series - but, even if it was commentary-free, it'd be worth £50 for all 150-odd episodes.

Money's tight this year...pressies, utilities bills, car insurance (I spent £300 last month getting that together)....but hey, I'm getting a pay-rise increment for Crimbo (thank God for UNISON!), and I don't care about my family, my house, our car or the clothes on my back, I'm going to get this damned box-set! Very Happy

Of course, I won't tell the missus..... Wink
avatar
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Age : 49
Location : Loiner-Land
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:21 am

Well, the boxset is lovely. Nice slim digipack cases, and a nice couple of discs of bonus material. Well worth the price tag.

Due to enforced internet absence, I've been working my way through the episodes at quite an alarming rate, and I'm enjoying them just as much the second time round.

_________________
Wielder of the Big Stick of Admin-dom. It has a nail in it.

From The Gospel According to Zoltar: "He's The Oncoming Spillage.

He's like whisky on ice, well-aged. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the pub. He's ancient and forever. He spills at the center of time and he can see the turn of the drinkliverse."

the-alchemist.org.uk siskoid.com/whoccg docfilth.blogspot.com
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Graymalkin on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:14 pm

As I've said before, The West Wing is, televisually, the best thing ever. And I'm including Doctor Who in that*. If it were a band, it would be Okkervil River, and I know no higher praise.

Can you tell I got the boxset for Chrimbo (I had the individual seasons anyway, but it's always nice...)?

*But being 'a Doctor Who fan' is a thing in itself, and one that's head-and-shoulders above obsessing over any other TV programme. Even ones with Jeremy Brett in...
avatar
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Age : 44
Location : (Lucifer over) Lancaster
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Balbinder Mann on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:32 am

Doc Filth wrote:Well, the boxset is lovely. Nice slim digipack cases, and a nice couple of discs of bonus material. Well worth the price tag.

Due to enforced internet absence, I've been working my way through the episodes at quite an alarming rate, and I'm enjoying them just as much the second time round.

Yep, I bought it as well. Seriously lacking in cash now!, but well worth it. I'm leaving the extras til last, I don't want to be spoiled!

I've just spent the last week going through Season 2 and Season 3. Does this show get much better than that Season 2 opener? Smile Which planet have I been on the last few years - how did I miss this show the first time around? Sad

Graymalkin wrote:As I've said before, The West Wing is, televisually, the best thing ever. And I'm including Doctor Who in that*.


I'd still rate The Wire (especially) and Hill Street Blues over this. But it's up there. I love DW like no other TV show, but I'm under no illusions as to where it stands against stuff like this. The best of US TV is absolutelyely fantastic, and it really pains me that British TV can't come up with long-running shows like this on a more regular basis.

However I'm a bit wary of Season 5 onwards. From what little I've seen on E4 and what I've read on the web the show declines in quality after S4 - is this true in your opinion, and by how much? I'ts not going to stop me watching, but I like to be prepared!

BTW, Richard Schiff for Doc 11. Anyone else, and its a crime. Laughing
avatar
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Age : 49
Location : Loiner-Land
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Graymalkin on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:41 am

Balbinder Mann wrote:However I'm a bit wary of Season 5 onwards. From what little I've seen on E4 and what I've read on the web the show declines in quality after S4 - is this true in your opinion, and by how much? I'ts not going to stop me watching, but I like to be prepared!

It does dip noticably in 5 and 6, but gets a fresh head of steam when the elections arrive - 6 and 7, while not as good as the first four years, are fantastic again. And who knew how accurately they'd predict the candidates for the real-life election?
avatar
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Age : 44
Location : (Lucifer over) Lancaster
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Series 5 sucks pretty badly - but it's almost redeemed single-handedly (single-episodedly?) by The Stormy Present - a fantastic three-hander between Sheen as [President!] Bartlett, James Cromwell as D.Wire Newman, and
Spoiler:
John Goodman as Glen Allen Walken
.

But I hate how much the regulars, particularly Josh, get redeuced to their most basic personality types in this season.

_________________
Wielder of the Big Stick of Admin-dom. It has a nail in it.

From The Gospel According to Zoltar: "He's The Oncoming Spillage.

He's like whisky on ice, well-aged. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the pub. He's ancient and forever. He spills at the center of time and he can see the turn of the drinkliverse."

the-alchemist.org.uk siskoid.com/whoccg docfilth.blogspot.com
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 40
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Balbinder Mann on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Doc Filth wrote:Series 5 sucks pretty badly - but it's almost redeemed single-handedly (single-episodedly?) by The Stormy Present - a fantastic three-hander between Sheen as [President!] Bartlett, James Cromwell as D.Wire Newman, and
Spoiler:
John Goodman as Glen Allen Walken
.

But I hate how much the regulars, particularly Josh, get redeuced to their most basic personality types in this season.

I've just got on to Season 5 today, it's all become a little geekish hasn't it, policy-wonkish. Very dry. Althoughh so far, its not quite as bad as i thought it was going to be ( the "Shutdown" episode was quite good). I just can't wait until the next election comes around!
avatar
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Age : 49
Location : Loiner-Land
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Coyote Cutie on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 pm

I have to say that I really loved this series, no matter what season. I suspect that the reason for the "Toby" situation towards the end is because "Leo" had died. Had John lived, I suspect we'd have seen that storyline be for Leo. The storyline of betrayal would have made a whole lot more sense then I think.
avatar
Coyote Cutie
Youngster

Number of posts : 21
Age : 60
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The West Wing thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum