Rate "Fear Her"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rate "Fear Her"

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
10% 10% 
[ 1 ]
10% 10% 
[ 1 ]
50% 50% 
[ 5 ]
30% 30% 
[ 3 ]
 
Total Votes : 10

Rate "Fear Her"

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:18 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here!


Last edited by The Co=Ordinator on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
avatar
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Age : 58
Location : On a box, in TC7, long long ago..........
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by Patrick on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Well, I guess I'll venture in first. This story is proof that if you plan to remove the Doctor from a story, you'd better have both a strong idea to hold it together, and a cast up to the challenge. Unfortunately, it failed on both counts.

In my Series 2 DVD set, this is easily the story I have watched the fewest times. I can appreciate the enthusiam about the 2012 Olympic Games as a story point, but that's about all I can appreciate about it. The story simply does nothing for me, entertainment-wise.

I can only give this a 1/5, as I find this the weakest story of Series 2 by a country mile.

_________________

Check Out My Book:
Licence: Reviewed, 50 Years Of James Bond Movies
Dr. No through Skyfall


Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)


What Are You Doing Here?
avatar
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7956
Age : 50
Location : 5,900 feet above sea level
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by Nick Barlow on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 am

I disagree with Patrick - the weakest story in season 2 (and the whole RTD era) is The Idiot's Lantern. This isn't that much better, though it's more the case of a decent idea being cocked up. 2/5

_________________
"You\'re wrong, and you\'re a grotesquely ugly freak."
blog | livejournal | flickr | facebook | twitter
avatar
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Age : 45
Location : The oldest town in Britain
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 am

I was wondering if anyone dared enter!

For me this is the absolute low of Nu-Who, with little or nothing to recommend it. Fear Her starts with the filming of what is meant to be Summer 2012 in February 2006 and everyone blowing out cold air when speaking, and ends with the gut wrenchingly awful "Doctor with the Olympic torch" nonsense.

In view of the fact that this is the nadir, I have no qualms at all about giving it 1/5.

_________________
avatar
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Age : 58
Location : On a box, in TC7, long long ago..........
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by Patrick on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 am

Nick Barlow wrote:I disagree with Patrick - the weakest story in season 2 (and the whole RTD era) is The Idiot's Lantern. This isn't that much better, though it's more the case of a decent idea being cocked up. 2/5

While it isn't my intention to defend The Idiot's Lantern, I have to say if you compare a story where the Doctor is missing from the second half of the episode, versus one where Rose is missing, it's easy to come to the conclusion that Rose is a bit more expendable than the Time Lord. Besides, The Idiot's Lantern at least had some nice Quartermass references in it.

_________________

Check Out My Book:
Licence: Reviewed, 50 Years Of James Bond Movies
Dr. No through Skyfall


Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)


What Are You Doing Here?
avatar
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7956
Age : 50
Location : 5,900 feet above sea level
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by barnaby morbius on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:58 am

it's not very good.
avatar
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Age : 44
Location : Location Location
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by Zoltar on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 am

Tough one to rate for me, I've been pondering how to score it. On the one hand, I think there's some good stuff to be had here. Good dialogue, good interplay with David and Billie, some solid foreshadowing. But it doesn't really come together. I don't dislike this episode, but I can't rate it highly. 2/5.

_________________
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
-Mark Twain
avatar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Age : 46
Location : The wilds of New Jersey
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by Rich Flair on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 am

It's down there with most of series 5!
avatar
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Age : 46
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by stanmore on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:16 am

I thought it was alright....
avatar
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Age : 32
Location : wishing you peace
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:25 am

You appear to be in a small minority, certainly Wrinkly wise.

_________________
avatar
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Age : 58
Location : On a box, in TC7, long long ago..........
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by andrea on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, OK, I shouldn't have given it a 4 as it is really a solid, average 3. I justify the four as, if forced to choose between 2 and 4 because 3 wasn't an option I'd go for 4 (somewhat tortuous logic there I must admit).

Not even the worst of this season let alone of the RTD era, as far as I'm concerned.
avatar
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Age : 61
Location : Dundee
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by stanmore on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:46 pm

andrea wrote:Yeah, OK, I shouldn't have given it a 4 as it is really a solid, average 3. I justify the four as, if forced to choose between 2 and 4 because 3 wasn't an option I'd go for 4 (somewhat tortuous logic there I must admit).

Why wasn't three an option?

I liked the scribble monster. And there was something about the feel of it that reminded me of early nineties CBBC sci-fi....
avatar
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Age : 32
Location : wishing you peace
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Did I not include 3 on the poll? Question

_________________
avatar
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Age : 58
Location : On a box, in TC7, long long ago..........
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by andrea on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:50 pm

stanmore wrote:
andrea wrote:Yeah, OK, I shouldn't have given it a 4 as it is really a solid, average 3. I justify the four as, if forced to choose between 2 and 4 because 3 wasn't an option I'd go for 4 (somewhat tortuous logic there I must admit).

Why wasn't three an option?
Ssh - it wasn't an option because I wanted to boost the average score and I rather think you said you felt that way about an episode earlier in this season so you should understand!

I liked the scribble monster. And there was something about the feel of it that reminded me of early nineties CBBC sci-fi....
I thought the scribble monster a brilliant idea - loved it. It really made me jump.

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Did I not include 3 on the poll? Question
Yes, yes, you know you did! I just wanted to vote four because - well, see above...

I do genuinely like this episode and there are some episodes I don't like. My honest opinion is that it is a solid 3 but I do prefer it to some of the other episodes I have given, or will give, a three. And I certainly much prefer it to New Earth which I gave a 2.
avatar
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Age : 61
Location : Dundee
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 pm

You stick to your guns andrea. A core value of Wrinklydom is respecting each others opinions and yours is as valid as anyone else's - especially mine, which isn't normally worth the pixiedust it takes up on the interweb. Razz

_________________
avatar
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Age : 58
Location : On a box, in TC7, long long ago..........
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "Fear Her"

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum