Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special?

+11
Ginger Ninja
stanmore
Rich Flair
Starfighter Pilot
The Browncoat Cat
barnaby morbius
Patrick
Zoltar
Hacky
lucy_who
The Co=Ordinator
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special?

Post by Ginger Ninja Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:55 am

I'm looking foreward to Bill Bailey, my most favoraitest comedian ever, being in it, but no not really looking foreward to it as such. I am concerned that the Christmas specials have just lost all meaning and are just one more of the "annual Christmas specials" like so many other shows...
Ginger Ninja
Ginger Ninja
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 229
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Lionhe10
Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special?

Post by Zoltar Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

stanmore wrote:It's a little sad that there isn't the same level of giddy excitement for a new episode that there has been for the rediscovery of old episodes, especially when the old episodes in question are known to be of... questionable... quality.
Well, that's prettty special. Even if the episodes in question aren't your cup of tea, it's cool to have some more of what was lost found again.

I find myself looking forward to the special more, it helps BBCA keeps advertizing it (along with ads for re-airings of Christmas specials past).
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Person10
Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy_who Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am

The old episodes have charm and nostalgia on their side, and a degree of comfort in that we know pretty much what sort of bad they're going to be. New episodes, on the other hand, are unknown and threatening - especially since we hope for so much and fear that they'll deliver so little.

Frankly if it avoids emotional torture and exploding babies, I'll be ... Well, not happy, necessarily, but profoundly relieved.
lucy_who
lucy_who
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 380
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Richfl10

Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Person10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://www.notaclique.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm looking forward to it - if only because it means I'll have done my duty as a daughter and popped over to hold the fort at Mum's between one brother staying on Christmas Eve and the other coming at 1:30 Christmas day afternoon, fed the family and be relaxing with wine and chocolate Very Happy
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:13 am

Not in the way I used to, but that's generally the way I feel about the series now, though I am eagerly awaiting the start of the Whithouse Era when/if it comes about.

I was coming up with a metaphor for Moffat as the coalition - it seemed a good idea at the time, but now I just want it over with...
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2008-11-04

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:16 am

Blogtor Who is not over keen.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:13 am

Zoltar wrote:
stanmore wrote:It's a little sad that there isn't the same level of giddy excitement for a new episode that there has been for the rediscovery of old episodes, especially when the old episodes in question are known to be of... questionable... quality.
Well, that's prettty special. Even if the episodes in question aren't your cup of tea, it's cool to have some more of what was lost found again.

Yes, I suppose that I must say that it is special that these episodes, missing after all these years have come back from the dead (and in fairness, the two clips were entertaining - far more so than when I heard them on audio). However, to me, it is far more special that the Doctor Who continues to grow. That we get to see new worlds, or new ways of looking at our one.

lucy_who wrote:The old episodes have charm and nostalgia on their side, and a degree of comfort in that we know pretty much what sort of bad they're going to be. New episodes, on the other hand, are unknown and threatening - especially since we hope for so much and fear that they'll deliver so little.

Frankly if it avoids emotional torture and exploding babies, I'll be ... Well, not happy, necessarily, but profoundly relieved.

Not all of the old episodes have charm.

I think the issue I have is that I'm seeing very little of the "hope for so much". Even to the point of not expecting it to be better than Galaxy 4.

Moffat does like to put his characters through the wringer, so emotional torture is a possibility, though I would guess is that it won't have exploding babies... Smile

Nick Barlow wrote:I was coming up with a metaphor for Moffat as the coalition - it seemed a good idea at the time, but now I just want it over with...

Well, you could also make the argument that it was the only real solution at the time...
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 am

stanmore wrote:Yes, I suppose that I must say that it is special that these episodes, missing after all these years have come back from the dead (and in fairness, the two clips were entertaining - far more so than when I heard them on audio). However, to me, it is far more special that the Doctor Who continues to grow. That we get to see new worlds, or new ways of looking at our one.
Well, I certainly agree that DW's continuing growth is a fantastic thing, long may it continue. No doubt viewers have come to expect a Christmas special at this stage, whereas the recovered episodes were a surprise.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:42 am

There's one comment on that Blogtor Who post that sums up a lot of my problems with the current approach:
In trying to put my finger on what simply doesn't gell for me. I think it is that the geist of the current series is smugness - look at how clever this bit is, isn't it clever how I just did this - see and if you can see how clever this is, you're clever too. Now just wait for the next clever bit and don't worry too much about the fact that it doesn't make sense in between, because we're both clever and anyone who wants to complain is not part of our clever gang.
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:42 am

I agreed with quite a lot in the Blogtor Who post and the comments. Moffat's Who is not sitting right with me but it's an overall feeling, so to speak, as a lot of the episodes are, taken individually, really good. However, I always felt that there was a joy in RTD's Who which is not now there. As with the Sarah Jane Adventures (yes, I loved them), I got an uplifting feeling of 'The universe is wonderful but occasionally awful things happen.' Moffat's universe just seems, as lucy_who said, much bleaker; almost like an awful place where occasionally good things happen. I miss that joy.

And yes, no more complicated arcs please.

Still, hoping for the best with the Christmas episode.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:12 am

Christmas specials tend to be ruined for me by elderly relatives that keep asking what's going on and getting bored and deciding to talk very loudly over the TV. I'm looking forward to it, but not to watching it with family. At least this year I can threaten to talk all the way through Downton Abbey if they don't shut up.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:14 am

Shrewd call.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:20 am

Johnstone McGuckian wrote:Christmas specials tend to be ruined for me by elderly relatives that keep asking what's going on and getting bored and deciding to talk very loudly over the TV. I'm looking forward to it, but not to watching it with family. At least this year I can threaten to talk all the way through Downton Abbey if they don't shut up.
If said elderly relatives were children during the War, they will probably spend the entire special reminiscing about their childhood and moaning about all the factual inaccuracies in the production.
And don't even think of talking through Downton Abbey, said elderly relatives will skin you alive.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy_who Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:00 am

My nana always goes for her bath during the Chrustmas Special. Since she cant manage the stairs very well, she does her goodnights to everyone, individually, on the way.

This is why I spend Christmas Day wee, and watch the repeat.
lucy_who
lucy_who
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy_who Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 am

Dear Profanity Filter Bot

"Wee" is not a grammatically appropriate replacement for the word I actually used, as it is a noun whereas I utilised an adjective.

Love and kisses

Lucy
lucy_who
lucy_who
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:19 am

Yeah, it's stupid. I just tried changing it but seem to have failed miserably.

wee.

Bugger.

Still, try typing d-e-u-s e-x m-a-c-h-i-n-a: without the dashes obviously. Nowt like a bit of humourous irony!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:43 am

I'll be out most of the day on Christmas, won't be home till late. And I doubt BBCA is carried where I'll be. So I guess I'll either see the special sometime that night or in the early part of the next day.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:53 am

lucy_who wrote:Dear Profanity Filter Bot

"Wee" is not a grammatically appropriate replacement for the word I actually used, as it is a noun whereas I utilised an adjective.

Love and kisses

Lucy

You'd have thought the little bugger might at least have changed it to we-ed
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfighter Pilot Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:01 pm

ending I didn\'t like Very Happy
Starfighter Pilot
Starfighter Pilot
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 802
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger Ninja Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:27 pm

BRIAN BLESSED!
Ginger Ninja
Ginger Ninja
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 229
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Lionhe10
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:51 am

BRIAN BLESSED! is a wee ****
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 am

****. Just checking Wink
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:21 am

Ginger Ninja wrote:I'm looking foreward to Bill Bailey, my most favoraitest comedian ever, being in it, but no not really looking foreward to it as such. I am concerned that the Christmas specials have just lost all meaning and are just one more of the "annual Christmas specials" like so many other shows...
The Co=Ordinator wrote:Blogtor Who is not over keen.
So it looks like Ninja may be disappointed:
Blogtor Who review wrote:Bailey especially is horrifically underutilised and someone as beloved as he is, someone who is on most fan lists to appear on the show (including mine) should have been gifted a larger part.

lucy_who wrote:Dear Profanity Filter Bot

Love and kisses

Lucy

Seems like even this forum doesn't want to let you forget that whole "weeing mod" meme.
Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 83
Awards : Are you excited about this year's Christmas Special? - Page 2 Creato10

Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum