Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Episodes

+12
Nick Barlow
Witchypoo
Magister
Glendenning
Rich Flair
Lee Carey
Johnstone McGuckian
Hacky
andrea
Starfighter Pilot
Patrick
The Co=Ordinator
16 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Missing Episodes - Page 4 Empty Re: Missing Episodes

Post by Glendenning Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Why would an overseas station retain all of Enemy but not all of Web?
Glendenning
Glendenning
Youngster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:27 pm

The gentleman we have to thank for today is Mr Philip Morris. Philip worked in Nigeria for some years, and therefore knows the region well. He is also a Doctor Who fan. 2 or 3 years ago he decided to use his local knowledge to try and track down missing television/Doctor Who episodes. But, how did these episodes still come to exist after all the decades of searches across the region?  

Basically although the BBC and ITV sold shows to other countries, they didn’t do any of the actual distribution. They used a company to do that. “Television International Enterprises Sales Limited” was the firm that sold everything overseas in the ‘60s and ‘70s, but is now defunct, having been struck off in 1999. So Morris set up his own company called “Television International Enterprises Archives Limited”

With his knowledge of the region, in 2011 he went around the region and in Nigeria he hit the jackpot  by discovering there was a storage centre, a ‘bicycle hub’ where copies of the prints were kept after having been ‘bicycled’ between different countries to be screened on their own channels – no prints remained in any specific broadcaster’s archives, but there were lots in this central office.

To cut a long story short, these were eventually shipped back to the UK, and in a few short hours time remastered versions of both Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear will be available for download. At the moment episode 3 of Web is missing, but the download will include the audio track mixed with telesnaps. DVD's of the two stories will follow in due course.

The question to which we don't have the answer yet is, what else may be back? I firmly believe that the next story to see the light of day will be Marco Polo. After that, well who knows. But what a truly wonderful day this has proven to be for millions of fans of the Doctor around the world.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Person10
Missing Episodes - Page 4 Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm

But why the piecemeal approach to returning them?
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Poster10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Like I said Rich, I really don't know and can't get my head around it.

But rather than get stressed out by that like an uberfan will, I'm going to celebrate the fact that, for certain, there are now only 97 missing episodes ( whatever happened to 110? Wink) and I will be able to watch 5 of the 6 episodes of my 2nd favourite 60's story this weekend. Smile
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:37 pm

There will always be 97 missing episodes!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Poster10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 pm

In the word of the Emperor. "UNTRUE"!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:24 pm

That's really interesting C=O. I love tales of how lost episodes were found!
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Kindes10
Missing Episodes - Page 4 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm

There is more to it Andrea, but I think that will suffice: for now at least, especially as there are more episodes we want returned!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:58 pm

The Indepedent

Doctor Who fans will raise a Sonic Screwdriver to archivist Phillip Morris, the Indiana Jones of film, whose ceaseless search for lost episodes uncovered two classic stories languishing in Nigeria, made available for download at midnight on Thursday via iTunes.

Viewers might wish the BBC had shipped more of its programming to Africa during the period in which it systematically wiped the jewels in its crown, given the magnificently-preserved condition of the two episodes, which have not been seen for some 45 years.

Morris found The Enemy of the World (1967) and The Web of Fear (1968), both starring Patrick Troughton as the second doctor, gathering dust at a television relay station in Nigeria, after tracking records of BBC overseas shipments.

But this mysterious Saviour of Sci-Fi declined to appear at a Soho screening of the episodes, sending a message from an unnamed distant land which read: “I cannot be with you as the search is endless. My work must continue.”

The six-part Enemy of The World, now complete with the discovery of five lost episodes, bursts with the energy of the Swinging Sixties.

Matt Smith’s latter-day giddy enthusiasm is reflected in Troughton’s playful splashing in the sea when the Tardis lands at sun-kissed Australian beach (actually Littlehampton in Sussex).

The Doctor and his kilted assistants, Jamie (Frazer Hines) and Victoria (Deborah Watling), are soon menaced by a sinister vehicle which floats across the sand. “It’s like a sea monster,” ventures Victoria. “No, it’s a Hovercraft,” the Doctor corrects her.

The fast-paced episode features much gun-play and a daring rescue by helicopter, piloted by plucky agent Astrid.

The Doctor, it emerges, bears a close resemblance to Salamander, a ruthless scientist/politician who claims to have solved global famine by redirecting the sun’s rays but is actually trying to take over the planet.

However, Troughton’s Doctor, sporting a skew-whiff bow-tie and Harry Hill wing collar, would really rather return to the beach than get involved in any saving-the-world heroics, before circumstances force his hand.

There’s a charm to this alien-free story, often lacking in the rebooted series, with its conscious delivery of “blockbuster” episodes to feed a global audience.

Mark Gatiss, a writer for the revived Doctor Who, said had “hoped and prayed” that missing episodes of the six-part Web Of Fear would one day turn up.

It is actually more a case of Doctor Where? as Troughton is nowhere to be seen in episode two, screened to the media.

The Yeti are running amok on the Underground. The Doctor is missing, presumed dead, after soldiers blast the tunnel and the claustrophobic atmosphere builds during the subterranean storyline.

“If only the Doctor would turn up,” bemoans Yeti-expert Professor Travers in a brave episode which proceeds without its title character – a decision forced on the writers when Troughton negotiated an extra week’s holiday for playing the dual role of Salamander in the earlier story.

The characters trapped underground include a newspaper journalist, accused of working for the “gutter press”, who has a reputation for “sensationalism” and “distorting the truth”. The episode aired months before Rupert Murdoch broke into Fleet Street by acquiring the News of the World and The Sun.

Morris, who recovered a total of nine episodes, can’t rest on these welcome additions to the Doctor Who canon – there are 97 more still unaccounted for.

The first four Doctor Who episodes from 1963 will be screened on BBC4 as part of the show's 50th anniversary celebrations next month.

Asked whether viewers might also see the recovered episodes, without having to pay Apple £1.89 per episode or £9.99 to download the complete stories, BBC Worldwide said licence-fee payers had already enjoyed a chance to watch the programmes in the late 60s.

It is the type of commercial deal, with the proceeds being ploughed back into licence fee funds, which the BBC will increasingly pursue under its Director General, Tony Hall.

So with reports of a further cache of Doctor Who episodes locked away in Ethiopia, it’s time for the archive Indiana Jones to spring into action once again.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Bit shocked that each story is £9.99. I was expecting between £6-£8.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfighter Pilot Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Ian Levine mentioned £15 on twitter, although it was unclear whether that was per story, for both, or just a number plucked out of the air. I was hoping for a bit less too, maybe £1.50 per episode or £8 for six or something. Still, I'll be paying it! I thought other places were offering them too, maybe there'll be a cheaper deal somewhere else?
Starfighter Pilot
Starfighter Pilot
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 802
Missing Episodes - Page 4 Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by wishful_sinful Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Turns out I registered on this place in 2009, and I got an email telling me it was missing episodes day and I should pop on over. I recognise some names from the old OG forum as was and I'm delighted to read we've got 9 episodes back. I was so sceptical for so long about these rumours, even thepress conferences - I guess I forgot that all recoveries always sound unlikely (like those 2 episodes of DMP a few years back.)
wishful_sinful
wishful_sinful
Youngster

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Hm, 10 pounds is well... more than that in dollars, assuming they will be available in North America.
I hope Phil took a camera crew with him on his adventures. It'd make a great DVD extra.
Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 83
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Creato10

Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:25 pm

wishful_sinful wrote:Turns out I registered on this place in 2009, and I got an email telling me it was missing episodes day and I should pop on over.  I recognise some names from the old OG forum as was and I'm delighted to read we've got 9 episodes back.  I was so sceptical for so long about these rumours, even thepress conferences - I guess I forgot that all recoveries always sound unlikely (like those 2 episodes of DMP a few years back.)
Nice to see you. Smile

Missing Episodes - Page 4 TheLostDoctor_zps3c9760bb
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:31 pm

45 years, Daily Mirror. 45 years.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:05 pm

And there they are, Web and Enemy first entries on the iTunes TV New and Noteworthy section. $9.99 each. Hooray.
Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:07 pm

£9.99 over here. Grrrr. Very Happy

Ne'er mind, just about to watch Enemy 1 then go to bed. Laters everyone!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Enjoy. It's already downloaded over here. I have to wait for my son to get out of the shower before we can watch.
And while we're getting a good price on digital, we've been gouged on DVDs over the years.
Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Well, the Doctor Who Magazine site says the Enemy DVD will be released on 25 November and the Web DVD early next year.  If this is true, I am a bit surprised really.  Delighted but surprised.

Off to bed now.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Missing Episodes - Page 4 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:41 pm

I've been down the pub celebrating. The Brigadier's first adventure is back. Think about that. And both of these stories will soon be out on DVD. I will now dance a jig.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Lionhe10

Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Ooh, I should have paid closer attention. I'd have downloaded Web and waited for the Enemy DVD.

Hey, spara! Fish People coming to DVD soon too!
Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Currently on Enemy Episode 1. I have always wanted to see this and it hasn't let me down at all.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:00 am

sparacus wrote:I've been down the pub celebrating. The Brigadier's first adventure is back. Think about that. And both of these stories will soon be out on DVD. I will now dance a jig.
If it makes you jig then truly Philip Morris is a legend. Very Happy

I've only watched episode 1 of Enemy so far, but this really is a happy day.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:14 am

Have now watched the first two episodes of Enemy and there is much to praise. The opening is filmic in ambition and realisation, in a similar vein to Tomb of the Cybermen. Big up to Barry Letts there.

Troughton chews up the scenery as Salamander. The plot is well written, the intrigue develops nicely. There are also some nice throw away gags (spots, jetty/yeti). 2 hours by rocket from Australia to Hungary in 2017 - splendid, look forward to it!

Overall so far this is a perfect example of the vision and driving that Innes Lloyd gave the show. For a very long time now, Season 5 has been my 3rd favourite of the classic era. I hope these 9 episodes will persuade disbelievers to embrace the fantastic work that went on in the Mid-Troughton era, when he was at the absolute peak of his powers.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:09 am

I'm going to wait for the DVDs as I'd rather wait that little bit longer rather than spoil the pleasure of getting each DVD by watching them in advance. Its rather like cooking the Christmas dinner early and scoffing half of it for breakfast. Philip Morris has done us all proud and deserves maximum praise. A Whovian hero.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : Missing Episodes - Page 4 Lionhe10

Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down