Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Frank on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:36 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:
Frank wrote:Precisely. That's exactly how it felt as if I'd been allowed to witness the director's personal nightmare or dream. And it's actually very full on for a film made in 1960. I tell you, I could write a whole book about it!
It actually sounds as if there is, indeed, a potential book to be mined from it.

Oh, someone will have beaten me to it, no doubt. Need to be quicker off the mark.

One of the few features on the DVD is an extract from a French documentary in which the director Georges Franju explains two of the odder scenes. I watched that and thought what a bloomin' genius. It has a very Surreal edge to it, reminding of Cocteau's work on 'Orphee' and 'Testament D'Orphee'. Which reminds me, I've got the latter to watch!
avatar
Frank
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 922
Age : 55
Location : Over the rainbow
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://www.cathoderaytube.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 am

Frank wrote:Oh, someone will have beaten me to it, no doubt. Need to be quicker off the mark.
Sadly so. But there's always potential for a fresh take on most subjects - especially something within this field.

Frank wrote:One of the few features on the DVD is an extract from a French documentary in which the director Georges Franju explains two of the odder scenes. I watched that and thought what a bloomin' genius. It has a very Surreal edge to it, reminding of Cocteau's work on 'Orphee' and 'Testament D'Orphee'. Which reminds me, I've got the latter to watch!
That sounds fascinating. I bet there's so many marvellous foreign documentaries out there that we're missing out on by dint of the narrowness of the market for them over here.


Last edited by Sid Seadevil on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Frank on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:53 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:That sounds fascinating. I bet there's so many marvellous foreign documentaries out there that we're missing pout on by dint of the narrowness of the market for them over here.

Indeed

This one was an extract from a series called Cinema Du Notre Temps. I've only ever seen one other edition of that series and it was about another of my favourites - Andrei Tarkovsky. A dream job would be working with Eureka on their Masters Of Cinema DVDs. They are truly labours of love those DVDs. Their editions of Metropolis, M, Vampyr, Nosferatu and Kuroneko and Onibaba are just to die for.
avatar
Frank
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 922
Age : 55
Location : Over the rainbow
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://www.cathoderaytube.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:01 am

Frank wrote:Indeed

This one was an extract from a series called Cinema Du Notre Temps. I've only ever seen one other edition of that series and it was about another of my favourites - Andrei Tarkovsky. A dream job would be working with Eureka on their Masters Of Cinema DVDs. They are truly labours of love those DVDs. Their editions of Metropolis, M, Vampyr, Nosferatu and Kuroneko and Onibaba are just to die for.
I've seen their editions of the first four you list and agree that they're absolutely superb. You know, it wouldn't hurt for you to have a sniff around to see what Eureka's submission policy is.

You might just be surprised.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Aspadistra on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Frank wrote:
Sid Seadevil wrote:That sounds fascinating. I bet there's so many marvellous foreign documentaries out there that we're missing pout on by dint of the narrowness of the market for them over here.

Indeed

This one was an extract from a series called Cinema Du Notre Temps. I've only ever seen one other edition of that series and it was about another of my favourites - Andrei Tarkovsky. A dream job would be working with Eureka on their Masters Of Cinema DVDs. They are truly labours of love those DVDs. Their editions of Metropolis, M, Vampyr, Nosferatu and Kuroneko and Onibaba are just to die for.

I like Tarkovsky. When I was a student in Russia, it was sometimes possible to see his films, but they were seen as being quite subversive.
avatar
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1458
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by TOMSPY77 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Last two movies were both Christopher Nolan films, the Prestige and Memento.

Memento gets a 7/10, but the Prestige gets a 10/10 and if you have not seen it I highly recommend it.
Imagine the twists of Dark Knight even more twisty and about dueling magicians, Tesla and a special magic trick. Great stuff.

Edit: Can I make a kind request for this thread to be stickied??
avatar
TOMSPY77
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 82
Age : 39
Location : The Void
Registration date : 2009-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Zoltar on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Prestige is quite good. I'd been meaning to see it for a while when Doc recommended it and The Illusionist as a double feature. A fine recommendation and an excellent pair of films.

_________________
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
-Mark Twain
avatar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Age : 46
Location : The wilds of New Jersey
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 am

Zoltar wrote:Prestige is quite good. I'd been meaning to see it for a while when Doc recommended it and The Illusionist as a double feature. A fine recommendation and an excellent pair of films.
Absolutely agree. I'm planning my own Nolan double bill sometime over the weekend if I get the chance with Batman Begins/The Dark Knight.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Rich Flair on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 am

Oh yeah, The Prestige rules - but I prefer Memento. The Dark Knight is very good, but not the best super-hero film of the year!
avatar
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Age : 46
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 am

Rich Flair wrote:Oh yeah, The Prestige rules - but I prefer Memento. The Dark Knight is very good, but not the best super-hero film of the year!
Momento is a superb film. And I agree re Dark Knight - Iron Man takes the award as far as I'm concered.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Rich Flair on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:38 am

Indeed - Iron Man f'n rules!

The Dark Knight needed the nonsense with the boat and the entire Two-Face plot taking out.
avatar
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Age : 46
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:48 am

Rich Flair wrote:Indeed - Iron Man f'n rules!
Not arf!

Rich Flair wrote:The Dark Knight needed the nonsense with the boat and the entire Two-Face plot taking out.
I can see what Nolan was doing with the whole Two-Face subplot - but it really warranted a film to itself for maximum milage from the character.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Rich Flair on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:05 am

Yeah, the thing about the Harvey Dent character was they spent too much time telling us how great he was, instead of showing us, then didn't provide a convincing reason for his turn.

Or something!
avatar
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Age : 46
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:28 am

Rich Flair wrote:Yeah, the thing about the Harvey Dent character was they spent too much time telling us how great he was, instead of showing us, then didn't provide a convincing reason for his turn.

Or something!
I suppose they were originally planning to spin it over into the next film and bring it down to a revenge against the Joker/Batman thing for Dent - with Gotham caught in the middle. But with Ledger's death...
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Patrick on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:36 am

On the subject of super-hero movies, I recently watched 'Hancock.' A fascinating post-modern version of a super-hero tale where the super-hero isn't particularly well liked.
avatar
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7956
Age : 50
Location : 5,900 feet above sea level
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 am

Patrick wrote:On the subject of super-hero movies, I recently watched 'Hancock.' A fascinating post-modern version of a super-hero tale where the super-hero isn't particularly well liked.
Kate and I also enjoyed it very much indeed. It was a very refreshing sideways look at the standard film superhero shenanigans.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Rich Flair on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 am

Patrick wrote:On the subject of super-hero movies, I recently watched 'Hancock.' A fascinating post-modern version of a super-hero tale where the super-hero isn't particularly well liked.

I refused to watch it. Any film that recasts the great Tony Hancock as a black American isn't for me. It's political correctness gone mad.
avatar
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Age : 46
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 am

Rich Flair wrote:I refused to watch it. Any film that recasts the great Tony Hancock as a black American isn't for me. It's political correctness gone mad.
Bad move. Charlize Theron was wonderful as Sid James.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Rich Flair on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 am

I hear that the Hattie Jacques role was played by a thin woman. What about the Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?
avatar
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Age : 46
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 am

Rich Flair wrote:I hear that the Hattie Jacques role was played by a thin woman. What about the Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?
No. Not in vain. I hear she passed in Baker Street tube station. Just after meeting Tom.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 58
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Zoltar on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Rich Flair wrote:Indeed - Iron Man f'n rules!
Haven't seen that yet, but it's on the list.

_________________
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
-Mark Twain
avatar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Age : 46
Location : The wilds of New Jersey
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Dave Webb on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Iron Man was good. A better superhero flick than Dark Knight, but Dark Knight was a better movie and a much better story. And the boat thing made perfect sense to me.

The last film I watched was Sin City, and I think I never need to watch anything based on, or indeed read anything by, Frank Miller ever again.

It was ok. Stylistically lovely, some rather variable performances, some nice hardboiled dialog, but after the opening scene and Marv, everything else was a bit of a let down.

_________________
Nucleus Cetum Ex Orbita. Unus Caetis Maximus.
sparacus wrote:Invalid response.
avatar
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Age : 48
Location : Leicester
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Zoltar on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Dave Webb wrote:The last film I watched was Sin City, and I think I never need to watch anything based on, or indeed read anything by, Frank Miller ever again.

It was ok. Stylistically lovely, some rather variable performances, some nice hardboiled dialog, but after the opening scene and Marv, everything else was a bit of a let down.
I liked Sin City, it was remarkably accurate to the comics. I do agree with you though, Marv's segment and the opening were the best parts of the film.

_________________
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
-Mark Twain
avatar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Age : 46
Location : The wilds of New Jersey
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by TOMSPY77 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 pm

I don't usually like 'modern' horror films, but the film Mirrors was pretty good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790686/
avatar
TOMSPY77
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 82
Age : 39
Location : The Void
Registration date : 2009-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Graymalkin on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:47 pm

I rewatched Punch-Drunk Love last night - Eccleston out of ten.
avatar
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Age : 44
Location : (Lucifer over) Lancaster
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum