Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

+2
Zoltar
Sid Seadevil
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Empty Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:53 am

Just spent the afternoon watching the first six episodes. Initial verdict. George, see what good things can happen when you allow other kids to play with you in your toybox?

Thus far these, and the film version - which I also watched today, are everything the prequel films should have been.

Highly, highly enjoyable, and I'm definitely in for the long haul.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Star Wars: The Clone Wars Poster10
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Empty Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Post by Zoltar Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Just spent the afternoon watching the first six episodes. Initial verdict. George, see what good things can happen when you allow other kids to play with you in your toybox?

Thus far these, and the film version - which I also watched today, are everything the prequel films should have been.

Highly, highly enjoyable, and I'm definitely in for the long haul.
Glad to hear you've enjoyed them. I agree completely, the Clone Wars movie and series have been great fun to watch. Ironic, these CG characters seem to have more life to them and their interactions with each other than the majority of the flesh and blood folks from the prequels ever managed to display. They've even made Anakin seem like a decent Jedi and not an angsty twerp.

So far, I've liked it all...even the Jar Jar episode was entertaining. Though I truly hope he doesn't make another appearance any time soon. affraid
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : Star Wars: The Clone Wars Person10
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Poster10
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Zoltar wrote:Glad to hear you've enjoyed them. I agree completely, the Clone Wars movie and series have been great fun to watch. Ironic, these CG characters seem to have more life to them and their interactions with each other than the majority of the flesh and blood folks from the prequels ever managed to display. They've even made Anakin seem like a decent Jedi and not an angsty twerp.
Yep, and their treatment of Anakin, and in particular their handling of his relationship with his own Padawan, are one of the prime reasons I buy this over the parent movies. There's genuine warmth on display here, wedded to recognisable emotional interaction. These characters are likeable - one of the most fatal of flaws when Georgie was playing with his toys alone.

Zoltar wrote:So far, I've liked it all...even the Jar Jar episode was entertaining. Though I truly hope he doesn't make another appearance any time soon. affraid
It speaks absolute volumes that they managed to make Jar Jar work. Although having said that, the character was always pitched deliberately at the youngst possible demographic - and that seems to have worked since I've never met a younger child yet who didn't love the character.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Yep, and their treatment of Anakin, and in particular their handling of his relationship with his own Padawan, are one of the prime reasons I buy this over the parent movies. There's genuine warmth on display here, wedded to recognisable emotional interaction. These characters are likeable - one of the most fatal of flaws when Georgie was playing with his toys alone.
Yep, Lucas seemed more interested in showy set pieces and galactic plots than making the characters likeable during the prequels.

Sid Seadevil wrote:It speaks absolute volumes that they managed to make Jar Jar work. Although having said that, the character was always pitched deliberately at the youngst possible demographic - and that seems to have worked since I've never met a younger child yet who didn't love the character.
Guess someone has to. Wink
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Zoltar wrote:Yep, Lucas seemed more interested in showy set pieces and galactic plots than making the characters likeable during the prequels.
Indeed. Perhaps if He had remembered he was making Star Wars and not attempting to remake I, Claudius, the prequels would have been met with more approval.

Zoltar wrote:Guess someone has to. Wink
Quite. Wink
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by delgadofan Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:38 am

Steven Moffat, when asked about the Time War, said that it should never be depicted on screen - rather like the Clone Wars which had a delicious air of mystery about them until Lucas decided in all his mojo-lost-wisdom to reveal them in all their glory during the dodgy prequels, ie a serious of - wow - meetings basically.

Still, I'll hold out judgement on this series until I see for myself.
delgadofan
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:36 am

delgadofan wrote:Steven Moffat, when asked about the Time War, said that it should never be depicted on screen - rather like the Clone Wars which had a delicious air of mystery about them until Lucas decided in all his mojo-lost-wisdom to reveal them in all their glory during the dodgy prequels, ie a serious of - wow - meetings basically.

Still, I'll hold out judgement on this series until I see for myself.
Agreed. totally, DF. The advantage with the new series is that action come first by a lonnnngggggg way and talk second. There's actually a nice line in character development the succeeds in going hand-in-hand with the action.

Of course, the downside for Lucas is that it's going to be impossible to square the development of Anakin in particular from this series, to the reversion to the Anakin we see in the prequel films. this is how the character should have been written from the outset.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by delgadofan Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:04 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:

Of course, the downside for Lucas is that it's going to be impossible to square the development of Anakin in particular from this series, to the reversion to the Anakin we see in the prequel films. this is how the character should have been written from the outset.

Cheers, Sid, I'm even MORE intrigued now. Smile
delgadofan
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Of course, the downside for Lucas is that it's going to be impossible to square the development of Anakin in particular from this series, to the reversion to the Anakin we see in the prequel films. this is how the character should have been written from the outset.
Agreed. I rather hope the creators of the Clone Wars series make no effort whatsoever to square their Anakin with Lucas' angsty film version by the end of the series. Let Angstakin stick out like a sore thumb. Wink
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 am

Zoltar wrote:Agreed. I rather hope the creators of the Clone Wars series make no effort whatsoever to square their Anakin with Lucas' angsty film version by the end of the series. Let Angstakin stick out like a sore thumb. Wink
Absolutely. In fact George should be tied to a chair and forced to rewatch this version until a light bulb goes off over his head.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:18 pm

I enjoyed the latest episode a great deal, particularly their handling of Master Luminara. Next week's episode looks to be very interesting as well.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Zoltar wrote:I enjoyed the latest episode a great deal, particularly their handling of Master Luminara. Next week's episode looks to be very interesting as well.
And so it was. Excellent portrayal of Jedi Kit Fisto.

He's become sufficiently cool enough a character to balance out having the name "Fisto". Very Happy
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sheringham Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:15 am

Zoltar wrote:
Zoltar wrote:I enjoyed the latest episode a great deal, particularly their handling of Master Luminara. Next week's episode looks to be very interesting as well.
And so it was. Excellent portrayal of Jedi Kit Fisto.

He's become sufficiently cool enough a character to balance out having the name "Fisto". Very Happy

Which episode was this? How can I get hold of it???? Joey's total favoutie character in the whole SW pantheon is Kit Fisto. Based on one cartoon strip in the clone wars annual - cos KF has about one line in the clone wars film. I have ordered the cloone wars TV show DVD volume 1 from Amazon - at least, I think that's what I ordered, if you don't really know what stuff is sometimes it's difficult to know what you're getting form there.......is there any other KF related stuff I could get? I have also ordered the first 10 Clone War books for him - he's going to have a KF Xmas! But he really really does love him. He has drawn about a million cartoons of KF comitting various acts of derring do!
sheringham
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:53 am

Just finally got around to seeing the film. Not bad, certainly a better direction to take it than the prequal movies but it does fall victim to some childish moments.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:52 pm

sheringham wrote:Which episode was this? How can I get hold of it???? Joey's total favoutie character in the whole SW pantheon is Kit Fisto. Based on one cartoon strip in the clone wars annual - cos KF has about one line in the clone wars film. I have ordered the cloone wars TV show DVD volume 1 from Amazon - at least, I think that's what I ordered, if you don't really know what stuff is sometimes it's difficult to know what you're getting form there.......is there any other KF related stuff I could get? I have also ordered the first 10 Clone War books for him - he's going to have a KF Xmas! But he really really does love him. He has drawn about a million cartoons of KF comitting various acts of derring do!
Very Happy

It was the 10th episode of the current Clone Wars TV series, "Lair of Grievous". It's out there on the interwebs, on torrent sites and the like. So far it's not been released to DVD. There are two different Clone Wars series, a short one done with traditional animation and the current which is CG. Fisto does appear in the traditionally animated one as well.

You can check here for a list of his appearances so far...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kit_Fisto#Appearances

And this link takes you to pictures of him...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_of_Kit_Fisto
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Pretty good two-parter they just finished this week.

Spoiler:
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:27 pm

An interesting episode last night, the ice environment did make for some nice visuals.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sheringham Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 am

Sigh. Someone on OG promised me a DVD of all the episodes shown so far but it never materialised. Poor Joey.
sheringham
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:05 pm

sheringham wrote:Sigh. Someone on OG promised me a DVD of all the episodes shown so far but it never materialised. Poor Joey.
That's too bad. At least we should be seeing the official releases starting in a couple of months.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Horizon Chaser Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:49 pm

sheringham wrote:Sigh. Someone on OG promised me a DVD of all the episodes shown so far but it never materialised. Poor Joey.

A friend of mine in Singapore watches it with his sons online. You can see the episodes a week later on the Star Wars website. Of course, now that the 1st season run is almost complete it hardly helps you.

So, I watch this show, but just think it is aimed a bit too young for me. I'm such a geek that I still can't help but watch.
Horizon Chaser
Horizon Chaser
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:So, I watch this show, but just think it is aimed a bit too young for me. I'm such a geek that I still can't help but watch.
Star Wars has pretty much always been family entertainment. Certainly, in this series, the Jar-Jar moments and the "comedy stylings" of the droids don't do much for me, but I think they do a nice job of balancing that stuff against the serious galactic peril. Smile
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Horizon Chaser Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:07 pm

True, but for me the comedic aspect of the droids weakens them as a credible threat. And with the "droid poppers" you can just take out a whole load of them with one shot. I hope they change that a little for next season.

At least the Bounty Hunters arc for S2 will add some tension.
Horizon Chaser
Horizon Chaser
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:True, but for me the comedic aspect of the droids weakens them as a credible threat. And with the "droid poppers" you can just take out a whole load of them with one shot. I hope they change that a little for next season.

At least the Bounty Hunters arc for S2 will add some tension.
No doubt. I agree, the normal droids do come across as comedy cannon fodder, but there are plenty of more advanced droids in that army to compensate.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Horizon Chaser Wed May 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Anyone watching the "decoded" version? What do you think?

Does anyone know if it will be an "extra" on the home video release?
Horizon Chaser
Horizon Chaser
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed May 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:Anyone watching the "decoded" version? What do you think?
I watched the first one, mainly because I really liked that episode. It's interesting enough, though clearly angled towards younger viewers.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content