Rise of the Netbook

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Dave Webb on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Customisable keyboard of the "put the keys anywhere" variety.

Laser keyboard, with bluetooth.

Das Keyboard Ultimate - entirely blank keys, gorgeous keyboard.

Optimus Maximus Oh my...still QWERTY, over a grand price tag. But...but...*drool*

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Optimus Maximus is a serious toy, pretty cool.

I have to say, the laser one appeals to me the most.

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 am

Optimus Maximus is a technotoy for people with more money than sense. Imagine the amount of electricity it uses, just to display all the keys on a keyboard. Once you have paid of the second mortgage needed to pay for the thing, you would have to take out a third to pay the uncreased Electricity Bill.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

View user profile http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Zoltar wrote:
I have to say, the laser one appeals to me the most.
Me too! I want one!!!

*goes for a lie-down in a dark room*
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-09

View user profile http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Optimus Maximus is a technotoy for people with more money than sense. Imagine the amount of electricity it uses, just to display all the keys on a keyboard. Once you have paid of the second mortgage needed to pay for the thing, you would have to take out a third to pay the uncreased Electricity Bill.
Sure. But it's fun to "window shop" a gadget like that. It's one of those "If I became fabulously rich tomorrow, I'd buy..." type of things.

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
Zoltar wrote:I have to say, the laser one appeals to me the most.
Me too! I want one!!!

*goes for a lie-down in a dark room*
A dark room with a glowy laser keyboard? Very Happy

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:40 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Optimus Maximus is a technotoy for people with more money than sense. Imagine the amount of electricity it uses, just to display all the keys on a keyboard. Once you have paid of the second mortgage needed to pay for the thing, you would have to take out a third to pay the uncreased Electricity Bill.

Oh, agreed. Completely. I'd want my own nuclear pile before buying an Optimus. I'm much more interested in Das Keyboard, beacuse it has the same gubbins as the awesome old IBM keyboard and is therefore typing heaven.

But that said, it's just so cool. Really, really cool. It's the Bugatti Veyron of keyboards - you know you'll never own one, you know that even if you did you'd have no use for it, you even know that it's a ridiculous proposition to even have built one...none of which stops it being a geek-toy beyond all others. With a case mod of a similar style, you could have the Las Vegas of personal computing, complete with Elvis.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Indeed. I have seen the future, and it has lasers in it.
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-09

View user profile http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
Indeed. I have seen the future, and it has lasers in it.
It's about time we got something future-y, what with the flying cars still being a ways off.

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Lee on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Dave Webb wrote:Customisable keyboard of the "put the keys anywhere" variety.

Laser keyboard, with bluetooth.

Das Keyboard Ultimate - entirely blank keys, gorgeous keyboard.

Optimus Maximus Oh my...still QWERTY, over a grand price tag. But...but...*drool*

Yep, thats the one I was talking about. I'd have the three button version of the Optimus Maximus.
Mrs Lee
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 252
Awards :

Registration date : 2009-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:49 pm

shifting away from keyboards for the moment: how do people feel about "cloud" computing, as opposed to having all your stuff stored locally?

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Lee on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:23 am

Dave Webb wrote:shifting away from keyboards for the moment: how do people feel about "cloud" computing, as opposed to having all your stuff stored locally?
As much as it might be 'safer'(i.e not having a load of memory sticks to lose) cloud computing is not for me. I have a sky drive via university and I have not one thing saved in that sky drive. I prefer my information closer to home where I have a little more control over the security etc.
From a security point of view, it may take off in smaller businesses but for businesses where information security and assurance is prime I just can't see the benefits outweighing the risks. Part of my course involves discussing the advantages and disadvantages of cloud database systems and security is something which is hardly discussed; which is incredibly silly in this day and age.
What's your view on it?
Mrs Lee
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:08 am

I think it's a very urban-centric way of looking at computing; it assumes that you are always inside the wifi/wireless broadband network. It assumes that you trust whichever company is holding your data - someone like Google? I think not .

I also don't like the idea of the apps being elsewhere too. I'm a tinkerer, in a rather limited way, but I do tweak things when I get bored or when they stop being interesting.

So, handing over control is an issue. It's mine, I want it to stay mine, I also want to mess with it when I feel like doing so.

The security issue is interesting. I'm not sure there really is such a thing as Computer Security. Recent events have shown that no-one and nothing is safe, and the best defence against malware is also the computer's biggest weakness: the user.

So, being reasonably savvy, I'm content to proceed with the knowledge that when I screw up it's my fault. I am not happy at all to put all my stuff in the hands of a data warehouse. It's been bad enough owning domains and watching someone hose the DNS, or accidentally move an important folder. I don't have the level of trust to make it worthwhile.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Dave Webb wrote:shifting away from keyboards for the moment: how do people feel about "cloud" computing, as opposed to having all your stuff stored locally?
I think it is an utterly stupid idea. If your PC goes west, then at least only you have lost your data. If a large section of the Cloud goes down then hundreds, maybe thousands of people have lost data.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Yeah, it's kind of what I'm afraid of too - but then it would take a monumental incident to take out part of a cloud.

In terms of service, you'd be looking at Google (and maybe one or two other companies) with enough hardware to offer the sort of service in the first place, and enough nous to make it work. While natural disasters might be a factor, as might acts of war, I sincerely doubt whether any of the current bot-nets have the capability to take them on let alone take them out.

I think my major concern is having that data exposed by accident or intent, but that's still possible with any online storage system, or any network for that matter.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Dave Webb wrote: While natural disasters might be a factor, as might acts of war, I sincerely doubt whether any of the current bot-nets have the capability to take them on let alone take them out.
Doesn't Silicon Valley, home for so many severs that might be used in the Cloud, have the San Andreas Fault running through it? See what I mean about it being a dumb idea.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Lee on Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Dave Webb wrote:
The security issue is interesting. I'm not sure there really is such a thing as Computer Security. Recent events have shown that no-one and nothing is safe, and the best defence against malware is also the computer's biggest weakness: the user.

There is such thing as Computer Security but the biggest problem is anything made by man can be broken by man. The point with security is that you have to know how much the information is worth and then make it much more time consuming to gain access to the information than it is worth.

Recent events show that the user is the biggest flaw in computing security; I know that in a lot of cases in the UK the person who was out with the laptop with all the important information shouldn't have either taken the laptop out of the office or hadn't followed security policy.

Personally I'd rather have my information on USB sticks and run the risk of losing the information when/if I lose my USB sticks. At least I know that the information is with me and it'll be there when I want it to be there. There are downsides, the viruses that go around via USB sticks, I'm fed of the Forensics Lab giving me viruses.
Mrs Lee
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:52 pm

I like using things like Google Documents when creating Interconnective Collaborative Projects (I think that's how the stupid moniker goes) but other than that, my data is backed up regularly onto my 250GB external hardrive as well as Sid and my shared external hardrive - the idea that my data is out there in the ether scares me silly.

Kate
Antipodean Eye of Sauron

Number of posts : 858
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:22 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:
Doesn't Silicon Valley, home for so many severs that might be used in the Cloud, have the San Andreas Fault running through it? See what I mean about it being a dumb idea.

No.

Silicon Valley doesn't have the data centers. A number them are in Arizona, which is geologically stable and, pretty much, weather proof. In fact, other than getting hot in the summer, AZ is nice and inert in all kinds of aspects.

I know that the locations for other data centers are picked for similar reasons and circumstances; what Silicon Valley does contain is a large number of IT companies that, were they to fall into the sea tomorrow, would certainly badly inconvenience the economy but probably wouldn't mean beans to the connectivity of the internet or the ability to pull stuff off a Cloud.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Mrs Lee wrote:I'm fed of the Forensics Lab giving me viruses.

I've taken to having a couple of sticks with me, attached to my keys. Those are the things I am least likely to forget. One of them, a Corsair traveller, packs 4gig into something that is literally the size of my thumbnail.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Dave Webb wrote:I've taken to having a couple of sticks with me, attached to my keys. Those are the things I am least likely to forget. One of them, a Corsair traveller, packs 4gig into something that is literally the size of my thumbnail.
The USB Pen Drive is probably one of the greatest inventions of the twenty-first century. Its very simplicity is what makes it genius, one of those definite "Why didn't I think of that" ideas. In fact, if I actually had a TARDIS, the first thing I would do, after going back to Memphis in the 1950's and wasting "Colonel" Parker before he ever met Elvis, would be to patent the idea before anyones had.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Lee on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:38 am

Dave Webb wrote:
Mrs Lee wrote:I'm fed of the Forensics Lab giving me viruses.

I've taken to having a couple of sticks with me, attached to my keys. Those are the things I am least likely to forget. One of them, a Corsair traveller, packs 4gig into something that is literally the size of my thumbnail.

I've got that same one, they're getting smaller! The smaller the better though to some extent to fit on keys etc. I'm remember having a non-working prototype and no one believed me that this would take off yet still most of them have one now.
Mrs Lee
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 am

I'm keeping a bunch of PC repair apps on one, which I intend to expand to include portable versions of things like Firefox. The other stick I have is an Ubuntu livestick, which is just nice to have around.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Lee on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Don't have a Ubuntu livestick, I have a linux netbook for that. Although on of my sticks is an app stick which just has firefox, datashred and stuff like that. Just the essentials lol and another with every piece of work for University.
Mrs Lee
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:39 am

I had a chance to play with an Acer Aspire One netbook with an 8.9 inch screen. Interesting little techotoy, but I think I still prefer my 13 inch laptop. Everything was a bit too cramped for my liking.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next