Rise of the Netbook

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Dave Webb on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote:
The Co=Ordinator wrote:Have to say that, for me, the lightness & compactness of the netbook is what makes it so user friendly.
Don't get me wrong, I love the compactness of my netbook. However, I remember when computers that powerful were the size of a desk, my old brain just cannot equate something so light with something so powerful, so a little (but not much) extra weight would be an advantage.

It's interesting how we relate to technology in this way.

I know what you mean about technology needing a certain weight, even a certain chunkiness, in order to feel 'proper'. My smartphone, for example, is heavier than the standard model because it has a qwerty keyboard and - to me - feels like a real object because it's slightly bulkier and heavier than my colleague's iPhone.

The two devices do more or less the same thing (mine's a droid phone, so it lacks a bit of Apple grace and flair) so there's not much to choose between them other than mass.

_________________
Nucleus Cetum Ex Orbita. Unus Caetis Maximus.
sparacus wrote:Invalid response.
avatar
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Age : 49
Location : Leicester
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sid Seadevil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:03 am

Dave Webb wrote:It's interesting how we relate to technology in this way.

I know what you mean about technology needing a certain weight, even a certain chunkiness, in order to feel 'proper'. My smartphone, for example, is heavier than the standard model because it has a qwerty keyboard and - to me - feels like a real object because it's slightly bulkier and heavier than my colleague's iPhone.

The two devices do more or less the same thing (mine's a droid phone, so it lacks a bit of Apple grace and flair) so there's not much to choose between them other than mass.
It is interesting isn't it. I also think it's very much a generational thing. Particularly for those of us who are Sci-Fi/Who fans whose view of 'futuristic' technology was very much influenced by the design of of then current technology. It coloured our expectations of how advanced kit should look/feel.

This is particularly noticeable to me when I see the younger members of my family's reactions to the tech around then. If it isn't slim, sleek and preferably touch screen - then it's just 'old fashioned' or 'clunky' or 'a brick'.

Horses for courses, I suppose.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Patrick on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 am

Dave Webb wrote:It's interesting how we relate to technology in this way.

I know what you mean about technology needing a certain weight, even a certain chunkiness, in order to feel 'proper'. My smartphone, for example, is heavier than the standard model because it has a qwerty keyboard and - to me - feels like a real object because it's slightly bulkier and heavier than my colleague's iPhone.

The two devices do more or less the same thing (mine's a droid phone, so it lacks a bit of Apple grace and flair) so there's not much to choose between them other than mass.

That's a great point, Dave.

This past July, I bought a smartphone- a Samsung Intercept. It weighs roughly half what the old palm-powered phone it replaced weighed, and that old phone was one I bought in 2005. And yet, despite the fact that my smartphone can fit in my pocket and not feel like a deadweight, it's capabilities run rings around my old phone.

From this ultra-thin phone, I can connect to the internet, watch videos, translate languages, scan bar-codes on products to see where I might be able to buy them more cheaply than the store I'm in, get directions, buy movie tickets, summon roadside help, even file an insurance claim.

And yet, with all this capability, I have to marvel at how un-phone like it feels.


_________________

Check Out My Book:
Licence: Reviewed, 50 Years Of James Bond Movies
Dr. No through Skyfall


Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)


What Are You Doing Here?
avatar
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Age : 51
Location : 5,900 feet above sea level
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sid Seadevil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 am

Patrick wrote:That's a great point, Dave.

This past July, I bought a smartphone- a Samsung Intercept. It weighs roughly half what the old palm-powered phone it replaced weighed, and that old phone was one I bought in 2005. And yet, despite the fact that my smartphone can fit in my pocket and not feel like a deadweight, it's capabilities run rings around my old phone.

From this ultra-thin phone, I can connect to the internet, watch videos, translate languages, scan bar-codes on products to see where I might be able to buy them more cheaply than the store I'm in, get directions, buy movie tickets, summon roadside help, even file an insurance claim.

And yet, with all this capability, I have to marvel at how un-phone like it feels.

Yep, know what you mean. And I'd actually argue that for the younger generation at least, a modern mobile phone's ability to actually, you know, make calls is the least important feature it possesses.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Dave Webb on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Yep, know what you mean. And I'd actually argue that for the younger generation at least, a modern mobile phone's ability to actually, you know, make calls is the least important feature it possesses.

I spent an hour or so on Kettering station t'other day, watching people react to rail delays. So many of us reached for a phone as yet more bad news came in. Some of us called people, some texted, some updated facebook pages. I read a couple of chapters of Moab is my Washpot on the basis that there's always time for a book, even when the book is also a phone.

The interesting thing was, instead of disconnecting us from eachother, the multifunctional phone allows humans to continue doing what humans do best - talking to one another.

_________________
Nucleus Cetum Ex Orbita. Unus Caetis Maximus.
sparacus wrote:Invalid response.
avatar
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Age : 49
Location : Leicester
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Dave Webb wrote:I spent an hour or so on Kettering station t'other day

You have my deepest sympathy. Laughing

_________________
avatar
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Age : 59
Location : On a box, in TC7, long long ago..........
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 pm

And I have crashed one of my helicopters and broken its rotor. Only a four inch long infra-red remote control helicopter, but it was the best Christmas Present I've had in years and years. I have decided the inside of my house is too small for helicopters, but the inside of Treherbert Branch Library, when it is closed to the public during the lunch hour will be ideal for flying my surviving helicopter.
avatar
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Age : 51
Location : Treherbert, Rhondda
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sid Seadevil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:17 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:And I have crashed one of my helicopters and broken its rotor. Only a four inch long infra-red remote control helicopter, but it was the best Christmas Present I've had in years and years. I have decided the inside of my house is too small for helicopters, but the inside of Treherbert Branch Library, when it is closed to the public during the lunch hour will be ideal for flying my surviving helicopter.
Go for it, Cat. Only don't wait until it's closed for lunch - attack the public!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Patrick on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Go for it, Cat. Only don't wait until it's closed for lunch - attack the public!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Down, boy! Down!

Honestly, can't we get an obedience collar for the Seadevil or something?

_________________

Check Out My Book:
Licence: Reviewed, 50 Years Of James Bond Movies
Dr. No through Skyfall


Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)


What Are You Doing Here?
avatar
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Age : 51
Location : 5,900 feet above sea level
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sid Seadevil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Patrick wrote:Down, boy! Down!

Honestly, can't we get an obedience collar for the Seadevil or something?
I say, that's a tad harsh innit? I'm only promoting more interactivity between staff and public.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:08 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:
The Browncoat Cat wrote:And I have crashed one of my helicopters and broken its rotor. Only a four inch long infra-red remote control helicopter, but it was the best Christmas Present I've had in years and years. I have decided the inside of my house is too small for helicopters, but the inside of Treherbert Branch Library, when it is closed to the public during the lunch hour will be ideal for flying my surviving helicopter.
Go for it, Cat. Only don't wait until it's closed for lunch - attack the public!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Much as I would like to, with certain people, I love my job too much.

Although the helicopter set is set up for mini dogfights. Each has an infrared canon, and when you get a got line of sight on your opponents copter, you press a button on the remote, it make a suitable "wee-kapow" noise, and if you score a hit, you stop the rotor of your opponent, causing it to crash.
avatar
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Age : 51
Location : Treherbert, Rhondda
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Dave Webb on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:34 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote: Each has an infrared canon, and when you get a got line of sight on your opponents copter, you press a button on the remote, it make a suitable "wee-kapow" noise, and if you score a hit, you stop the rotor of your opponent, causing it to crash.

I've never wanted a remote control helicopter before, but now I do. Quite a lot.

_________________
Nucleus Cetum Ex Orbita. Unus Caetis Maximus.
sparacus wrote:Invalid response.
avatar
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Age : 49
Location : Leicester
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 am

Dave Webb wrote:
The Browncoat Cat wrote: Each has an infrared canon, and when you get a got line of sight on your opponents copter, you press a button on the remote, it make a suitable "wee-kapow" noise, and if you score a hit, you stop the rotor of your opponent, causing it to crash.

I've never wanted a remote control helicopter before, but now I do. Quite a lot.
Move over. I'm about to join you in that particular boat.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Zoltar on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:35 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:
Dave Webb wrote:
The Browncoat Cat wrote: Each has an infrared canon, and when you get a got line of sight on your opponents copter, you press a button on the remote, it make a suitable "wee-kapow" noise, and if you score a hit, you stop the rotor of your opponent, causing it to crash.

I've never wanted a remote control helicopter before, but now I do. Quite a lot.
Move over. I'm about to join you in that particular boat.
He certainly does make it sound like a cool gadget.

_________________
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
-Mark Twain
avatar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Age : 47
Location : The wilds of New Jersey
Awards :


Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 am

Doesn't he just. We should all have received a set for Christmas.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Elliott H. Seadevil on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:27 pm

We should have, shouldn't we?
avatar
Elliott H. Seadevil
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Age : 19
Location : In sheldons apartment block in the closed off lift
Awards :
Registration date : 2010-12-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the Netbook

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum