The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Go down

The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Chat about the books here.
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 41
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Oh, I think the title's...functional, rather than Unimaginatively-Titled.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Colin Hicks on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Well, I'm not editing it now.

So there Razz .
avatar
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Age : 41
Location : Everywhere and nowhere, baby
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Doc Filth wrote:Well, I'm not editing it now.

So there Razz .
A sentiment echoed by Justin Richards and Stephen Cole on more than one occasion, I'd wager. Wink
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by barnaby morbius on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:07 pm

i always liked "doctor who and the day of the daleks"
avatar
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Age : 45
Location : Location Location
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 pm

barnaby salton wrote:i always liked "doctor who and the day of the daleks"
Haven't read that in years - must put it on the rereading list.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Graymalkin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:03 am

After I finish Shadowchaser I am going to read 'Fallen Gods'. I hope it will be okay*.

That is all.






*The four years of literary training I received at university just shine out from this post, don't they?
avatar
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Age : 45
Location : (Lucifer over) Lancaster
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 am

Graymalkin wrote:After I finish Shadowchaser I am going to read 'Fallen Gods'. I hope it will be okay*.

That is all.






*The four years of literary training I received at university just shine out from this post, don't they?
Blimey, mate. After reading Shadowchaser even your hastily scribbled shopping list should read like it was written by Neil Gaiman!*


*The above comment might or might not be accurate
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Graymalkin on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:57 pm

I read 'Fallen Gods' today. It was, in fact, okay.

Faint praise...
avatar
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Age : 45
Location : (Lucifer over) Lancaster
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:22 am

I've decide to play Damaged Goods on my reading list. Haven't read it since it was originally release and I recall enjoying it very much. It should be interesting given magic RTD and Co. have wrought over the ensuing years to see just how much of the kind of atmosphere is inherent in the novel.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Balbinder Mann on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:I've decide to play Damaged Goods on my reading list. Haven't read it since it was originally release and I recall enjoying it very much. It should be interesting given magic RTD and Co. have wrought over the ensuing years to see just how much of the kind of atmosphere is inherent in the novel.

I read it last year, I didn't really enjoy it, TBH. I suppose its because I've seen the other side of RTD-Who, the side we all know, the optimism, the fun, the love of humanity, and this book just goes far too much the other way.

Far too bleak and depressing, it was a real struggle to finish this. Very well written in places, especially characterisation (as you'd expect from RTD), very good prose style, but my God, I felt like topping myself after I read this! Very Happy I never expected to feel like that after reading anything Who-related by Russell Davies.

I might well read it again, to see if I feel differently, but at this stage its not a book I look back on fondly.
avatar
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Age : 50
Location : Loiner-Land
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Balbinder Mann wrote:I read it last year, I didn't really enjoy it, TBH. I suppose its because I've seen the other side of RTD-Who, the side we all know, the optimism, the fun, the love of humanity, and this book just goes far too much the other way.

Far too bleak and depressing, it was a real struggle to finish this. Very well written in places, especially characterisation (as you'd expect from RTD), very good prose style, but my God, I felt like topping myself after I read this! Very Happy I never expected to feel like that after reading anything Who-related by Russell Davies.

I might well read it again, to see if I feel differently, but at this stage its not a book I look back on fondly.
Thanks Baldy - that's actually pretty much how I recall my own reactions to it from my original reading.
avatar
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Age : 59
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Unimaginatively-Titled Book Spin-Off Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum