Apaches (and other PIFs)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Apaches (and other PIFs)

Post by Nick Barlow on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Charlie Brooker posted a link to this on Twitter earlier: http://www.vimeo.com/3772540 It's Apaches, possibly the scariest Public Information Film ever made. It's reported that when the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water saw this, he soiled himself in fear.

If you've never seen Apaches, imagine being 6 or 7 and seeing something on TV one Sunday morning that looks like a film about a group of kids. They're chasing each other around, playing games...and then it turns into a particularly vivid farm-related snuff movie. If you ever want to know why British people are the way we are - especially why people of around my age are probably more likely to have nightmares about drowning in slurry pits than anyone else on Earth - then watch this and understand

It's directed by John McKenzie, who went on to direct The Long Good Friday, by the way.

Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Apaches (and other PIFs)

Post by Patrick on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Yikes!

Watching this made me glad my Sunday morning fare was restricted to re-runs of the Bullwinkle and Rocky Show. Well, that and a PBS station that showed Doctor Who at 10:00 am. (Growing up, I was an altar server at Corpus Christi parish, and I used to volunteer for the Saturday evening vigil, in a selfish attempt to make sure God didn't interfere with my Doctor Who viewing.)

My first thought while watching this: why keep going back to the farm o' death? You'd think kids would learn to keep well away from the place after watching even one of their mates 'snuffed'. I lost a certain amount of credibility when we kept seeing farm machinery as the C.O.D.

Check Out My Book:
Licence: Reviewed, 50 Years Of James Bond Movies
Dr. No through Skyfall

Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)

What Are You Doing Here?
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7956
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 am

Patrick wrote:My first thought while watching this: why keep going back to the farm o' death? You'd think kids would learn to keep well away from the place after watching even one of their mates 'snuffed'. I lost a certain amount of credibility when we kept seeing farm machinery as the C.O.D.

You misunderstand. The message of the piece is "ALL farm machinery wants you dead" - and therefore you have to carefully show each element of the farm's machinery as lethal. Kids will generally assume that unless it has been proven bad, a thing is safe. What they need to understand from this film is that farms are hungry, and savage, and they will eat you if they think no one is looking.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards :

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Dave Webb wrote:You misunderstand. The message of the piece is "ALL farm machinery wants you dead" - and therefore you have to carefully show each element of the farm's machinery as lethal. Kids will generally assume that unless it has been proven bad, a thing is safe. What they need to understand from this film is that farms are hungry, and savage, and they will eat you if they think no one is looking.

The thing is, you can extend that "farm machinery wants you dead" logic to include lots of things outside: train tracks and trains, swimming pools/lakes/rivers, boats, motor vehicles, inclement weather, old trees that drop big branches, being a pedestrian at an intersection. It's enough to make you fearful of venturing outdoors at all. And so you stay inside, where, thanks to the Final Destination movies, lots of things in your home are perfectly capable of killing you, as well.

Perhaps I'll just stay in bed with the covers pulled over my head.

Check Out My Book:
Dr. No through Skyfall

Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)

What Are You Doing Here?
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Patrick wrote:Perhaps I'll just stay in bed with the covers pulled over my head.
If you thought the farm machinery was bad, wait till you hear about the killer covers...

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Patrick wrote:Perhaps I'll just stay in bed with the covers pulled over my head.
If you thought the farm machinery was bad, wait till you hear about the killer covers...

What? My 600 thread count sheets? Out to kill me?

That's it. My last ounce of strength to fight this "fill-in-the-blank is out to kill you" paranoia has found a loophole: I'm building my own Zero Room. Completely cut-off from outside influences, even the gravity will be local. Ha! Try and do me in now!

Check Out My Book:
Dr. No through Skyfall

Now Available On:

What Are You Doing Here?
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Patrick wrote:What? My 600 thread count sheets? Out to kill me?

That's it. My last ounce of strength to fight this "fill-in-the-blank is out to kill you" paranoia has found a loophole: I'm building my own Zero Room. Completely cut-off from outside influences, even the gravity will be local. Ha! Try and do me in now!
So I assume you'd rather not hear about Fox's recent When Zero Rooms Attack! special then?

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:20 am

Zoltar wrote:So I assume you'd rather not hear about Fox's recent When Zero Rooms Attack! special then?

Sorry, that doesn't count. Now, if they'd made "Zero Room Apaches," I might be more persuaded.
Wink

Check Out My Book:
Dr. No through Skyfall

Now Available On:

What Are You Doing Here?
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Patrick wrote:Sorry, that doesn't count. Now, if they'd made "Zero Room Apaches," I might be more persuaded.
Wink
Don't give them any ideas... Wink

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Nick Barlow wrote:Charlie Brooker posted a link to this on Twitter earlier: http://www.vimeo.com/3772540 It's Apaches, possibly the scariest Public Information Film ever made. It's reported that when the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water saw this, he soiled himself in fear.

If you've never seen Apaches, imagine being 6 or 7 and seeing something on TV one Sunday morning that looks like a film about a group of kids.
Forget that-- living near a farming community meant we watched Apaches in an assembly at school around the age of 8! Shocked

No wonder the video nasty boom took off in the 80s: after Apaches, I Spit On Your Grave seemed like a stroll in the playground.
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top