Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Walking Dead

4 posters

Go down

The Walking Dead Empty The Walking Dead

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:57 pm

If you haven't caught Frank Darabont's sensational televisual adaptation of Robert Kirkman's celebrated comic book series starring our very own Andrew Lincoln, do yourself a favour and beg, borrow or steal this short, six episode, first season. (Season 2 will be a full 13 episodes).

Atmospheric, smart, intelligent and very, very well acted and produced. It's a genuine cult gem in the making.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : The Walking Dead Poster10
The Walking Dead Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

The Walking Dead Empty Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Zoltar Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:If you haven't caught Frank Darabont's sensational televisual adaptation of Robert Kirkman's celebrated comic book series starring our very own Andrew Lincoln, do yourself a favour and beg, borrow or steal this short, six episode, first season. (Season 2 will be a full 13 episodes).

Atmospheric, smart, intelligent and very, very well acted and produced. It's a genuine cult gem in the making.
I've been watching it, definitely a great series thus far. Far too short a first season, which ends in the US tomorrow if memory serves. I've never read the comic, though I was familiar with some of the characters from conversations I've had with folks who do read it.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : The Walking Dead Person10
The Walking Dead Poster10
The Walking Dead Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 am

Zoltar wrote:I've been watching it, definitely a great series thus far. Far too short a first season, which ends in the US tomorrow if memory serves. I've never read the comic, though I was familiar with some of the characters from conversations I've had with folks who do read it.
Agreed about the undesired shortness of the season - but understandable in a way. AMC was uncertain how well the show would be received so opted for an almost mini-series approach to season one to minimise possible financial losses if it bombed with the public. Happily their fears were unfounded - so it's all go for next year.

I haven't read the comics myself, although I do have them. From what I've read, the deviations from the comic storyline are justified and logical, given the constraints the production team were under. Besides, I for one wouldn't welcome a slavish adaptation. There should and must always be wriggle room for the show to become its own thing.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 am

I have heard nothing but good about this series, and hope it will transfer to more accessible broadcast methods in due course.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
The Walking Dead Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:17 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:I have heard nothing but good about this series, and hope it will transfer to more accessible broadcast methods in due course.
Actually old chap if you have access to Sky the show can be found on the FX channel. Not certain what night - but it might be worth you 'avin' a gander at the weekly listing for the channel.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:57 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Agreed about the undesired shortness of the season - but understandable in a way. AMC was uncertain how well the show would be received so opted for an almost mini-series approach to season one to minimise possible financial losses if it bombed with the public. Happily their fears were unfounded - so it's all go for next year.
Indeed. It's a been quite a success, even improving on it's numbers rather than seeing a decline.

Sid Seadevil wrote:I haven't read the comics myself, although I do have them. From what I've read, the deviations from the comic storyline are justified and logical, given the constraints the production team were under. Besides, I for one wouldn't welcome a slavish adaptation. There should and must always be wriggle room for the show to become its own thing.
I don't mind it being a loose adaptation at all, particularly with Kirkman so involved.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Well, tonight's the night when it comes to an end for this year. I'll be *ahem* acquiring it early tomorrow. Hope we don't have to wait until late 2011 for its return.

Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm

I haven't seen the show- I should probably make an effort to check it out.

However, I came across something at Amazon.com that might interest folks who like The Walking Dead: the The Zombie Survival Kit.

I should note that the Council on American/Zombie Relations opposes stuff like this, on the grounds that it could lead to "Zombiephobia."
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Well, tonight's the night when it comes to an end for this year. I'll be *ahem* acquiring it early tomorrow. Hope we don't have to wait until late 2011 for its return.
That's the rumor, Fall 2011. But I don't think AMC's confirmed that, so I'm still hoping for an earlier return.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Zoltar wrote:That's the rumor, Fall 2011. But I don't think AMC's confirmed that, so I'm still hoping for an earlier return.
An earlier return would be desirable. but if it means the quality is ensured to maintain the standard set by this first season, then I'm grudgingly prepared to wait.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:40 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:An earlier return would be desirable. but if it means the quality is ensured to maintain the standard set by this first season, then I'm grudgingly prepared to wait.
Yep, as am I. Twas a rather good finale episode, I thought.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Bear in mind that the principal problem with starting the next season of The Walking Dead earlier than it did this year is that it occupies the same time slot as AMC's other big sensation, Mad Men. In fact, The Walking Dead premiered the week following the season finale of Mad Men this year.

Thus, I think unless Mad Man's schedule is adjust to have it start weeks earlier than it has in the past, or unless AMC were inclined to have The Walking Dead occupy a different time slot, I'm not sure that you'll see The Walking Dead premiere any earlier than next October.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Sid Seadevil wrote:An earlier return would be desirable. but if it means the quality is ensured to maintain the standard set by this first season, then I'm grudgingly prepared to wait.
Yep, as am I. Twas a rather good finale episode, I thought.
Agreed. All in all it was a more than satisfactory close to the mini season. Certainly I think the best possible one given they had no way of knowing whether or not they would be renewed.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Patrick wrote:Bear in mind that the principal problem with starting the next season of The Walking Dead earlier than it did this year is that it occupies the same time slot as AMC's other big sensation, Mad Men. In fact, The Walking Dead premiered the week following the season finale of Mad Men this year.

Thus, I think unless Mad Man's schedule is adjust to have it start weeks earlier than it has in the past, or unless AMC were inclined to have The Walking Dead occupy a different time slot, I'm not sure that you'll see The Walking Dead premiere any earlier than next October.
That makes sense. While I'm not exactly thrilled at possibly having to wait close to a year until the show returns, I'll cut them some slack because of Mad Men.

Eek! I just realised - we also lost another top quality series today with Broadwalk Empire's first season reaching an end. Sad
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Agreed. All in all it was a more than satisfactory close to the mini season. Certainly I think the best possible one given they had no way of knowing whether or not they would be renewed.
Spoiler:

Sid Seadevil wrote:Eek! I just realised - we also lost another top quality series today with Broadwalk Empire's first season reaching an end. Sad
Which is actually a good thing for me, as it gives me time to catch up on all the episodes I missed.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Spoiler:
Yep, that possibility crossed my mind as well. Although another is that he...

Spoiler:

Sid Seadevil wrote:Eek! I just realised - we also lost another top quality series today with Broadwalk Empire's first season reaching an end. Sad
Which is actually a good thing for me, as it gives me time to catch up on all the episodes I missed.
Well that is an upside, I'll certainly give you that.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content