Outcasts : BBC SF

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Outcasts : BBC SF

Post by Zoltar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Indeed. Oh and sad news for Browncoat Cat. It's almost certain that the final episode ends on a massive cliffhanger. One that's never going to be resolved now.
I took "Cultdom beckons" to be code for that. He's thinking a series with no ending will become a cult classic.

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 am

Zoltar wrote:I took "Cultdom beckons" to be code for that. He's thinking a series with no ending will become a cult classic.
Hmmm...I took "Cultdom beckons"to be code for "Bloody hell, I've just set my career back by about a decade."
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Hmmm...I took "Cultdom beckons"to be code for "Bloody hell, I've just set my career back by about a decade."
That might well be the reality, but I don't think he was admitting to it yet. Very Happy

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 am

Zoltar wrote:That might well be the reality, but I don't think he was admitting to it yet. Very Happy
Which is exactly way he said it in code, of course! Smile
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:09 pm

ben richards wrote:Cultdom Beckons

Ah, so now it's a science-fiction show is it?
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:32 pm

stanmore wrote:
ben richards wrote:Cultdom Beckons

Ah, so now it's a science-fiction show is it?
Oh no...not at all. Ben Richards would never associate himself with anything as tawdry as a science-fiction show. No never...

No, really...he means it...
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:I want some of whatever this guy is on.
Form an orderly queue there. Your not the only person who would pay good money for that sort of bottled optimism.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

View user profile http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Form an orderly queue there. Your not the only person who would pay good money for that sort of bottled optimism.
It seems the remainder of the episodes will go out late in the Sunday night 'graveyard' slot. What a wonderful way for an 8 million pound budget show to end up.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I suspect that this show was originally destined for the 9pm Sunday slot anyway, and was moved for no good reason. I'm looking forward to seeing #3 7 #4 on the Weekend.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 pm

No. It appears this show was destined for the slot it's been in from the beginning. Indeed it was thought of as being one of the major flagship dramas of the season by the Beeb bods.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:59 pm

The same idiots who'll likely schedule Who at 6.15pm.

Number of posts : 11054
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Oh yes. Those very same idiots to be sure.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:34 am

And yet more unintentional comedic god spews forth from the fingers of Ben Richards in futile defence of his creation, this time on the Guardian website's community section. :

Richards has also been defending the show on the Guardian website's community section.

Following a barrage of attacks from TV critics after the first episode, he said: "Sometimes I think it doesn't matter what you write, the same old chorus will start up like the critics on The Muppets (two of my favourite characters) 'Whaddya think? I hated it!'

"I'm not a snob, I like action myself; I don't want to do didactic treatises, etc. The show BUILDS. You may like it, you may not but I'm quite happy we took a risk. I'm glad the much maligned BBC did and some of the moaners would have been screaming blue murder about 'just another cop show'."

He continued: "People have a right not to like things although I think many of the loudest and least interesting critics get a little bit Rumpelstiltskin about it all, stamping the little boot of negativity so hard that they get locked into a discontinuous mindset only recognising 's**t' and 'great' on their radars."

Richards also argued that too many critics were not giving the show enough time, claiming that some of his favourite programmes such as The Wire and Friday Night Lights had not been immediate hits.

"It really takes time to build and I'm very proud of some of the later eps in Outcasts and I think it builds to a very moving finale," he said.

Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 am

Right, I have now seen all the episodes broadcast so far. The story has picked up a great deal. Sadly it is far to late to save this series. If I had been producing this series, I would have sent it back for a serious re-write before filming started.
  • The whole of Episode 1 would have been scrapped. The series would have started with the transporter crashing, then a flashback to the C23 incident, then back to the rest of the plot from the current episode 2.
  • The character of Tipper would have been changed, the clich├ęd "Oirish" elements removed. I would also have ditched the one night stand with Ison, but started the Lily/Tipper relationship a lot sooner.
  • Show more of Fort Haven, make it look like a real colony with thousands of occupants. Where do they get their clothes from, considering she only had the clothes she was wearing when she arrived, Lily Ison seems to have changed her outfit every episode, where did they come from. Also where is all the food produced. If yields from plants are as catastrophically low as was suggested in episode 5, why isn't there food rationing, and how the hell can they afford to brew the "pretty good beer" that Tate boasted about in episode one if there is a shortage of grain.
  • Likewise show more of the AC society. How have they survived for two years on a planet that apparently has no big game to hunt and no edible wild fruits and vegetables to cook? Where do they get their clothes, and where the hell do they get the ammunition for their guns? And the biggest question of all is how on Earth did they get a baby when we have never seen a female AC, only heard about them in conversation.
  • I would have kept Julius Berger whiter than white for longer, with Tate and Ison's suspicions looking like sour grapes. Although I would have had him communicate with the mystery ship from episode one. Tipper would have worked out he is a s*** around about episode three, and the whole kiddie-fiddling/cheating his way onto the escape shuttle plot would have started the following week and by episode five, the distrust of Berger would be spreading like wildfire.
  • Jamie Bamber's time and talents were horribly squandered in a boring subplot that lead nowhere. Although I would still used part of this plot in a later episode. It has been made perfectly obvious that Cass loves Fleur but the feelings are not reciprocated. I would have made it obvious to everyone but Cass that Fleur and Katrina were an item and that everyone was secretly laughing at Cass' love sick puppy act. In about episode six, have Katrina beaten up and have all the suspicion fall on Cass, who recently caught Fleur and Katrina in flagrante. Keep the fact that Katrina's husband had returned to Forthaven secret until later in the episode and then reveal he was the one who did the deed. Keep Katrina alive and set up a triangle between Cass, Fleur and Katrina.
  • Introduce the mystery of the fossils a lot sooner. The pacing of this series has sucked. Did Ben Richards honestly think that he had written a winner, and that a second series was guaranteed, so he could things in series one so slowly. What monstrous arrogance on his part. Also keep reminding him that he is writing Science Fiction, its got spaceships, its on another planet, there are genetically engineered characters, what else can it be?

You know the saddest thing about the failure of Outcasts is that Doctor Who will be the only SF that the BBC will even think about making for at least five years.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 am

About those fossils. Why on earth would a party of colonists waste precious space and weight aboard the colony ship by brining along fossils anyway? (Not to mention records)!

The actually could have saved this if somebody had noticed that Ben Richards 'imagination', consisted mainly of taking elements from past science fiction series and mashing them together in a totally unsubtle way.

For example many important elements of his 'plot' seem to have been lifted 'inspired' whole from the Battlestar Galactica remount.

The Cat is correct - Richard's has almost certainly killed Science Fiction on the Beeb for at least five years.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:26 am

I can't see how Servalan could be re-imagined!
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:31 am

Well that's certainly a little encouraging. Although to be totally honest I'd much, much rather see a single good new series hit the air than yet another re-imagining - no matter how good that re-imagining might potentially be.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 am

I can't see how Servalan could be re-imagined! Very Happy

Number of posts : 11054
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:21 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:I can't see how Servalan could be re-imagined! Very Happy
I shudder to think how Servalan would be re-imagined. Very Happy

Actually, this is one of those genuinely rare occasions where I can't imagine any other actor being as uniquely suitable for a role than the original.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:19 am

A man in drag.
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:32 am

Rich Flair wrote:A man in drag.
Wot. Like Lily Savage!
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I have just caught up with episode 6 of Outcasts, a good episode, one with pace and excitement. And guess what, another enjoyable episode not written by Ben Richards.
I am now fascinated by the alien life form that is so obviously living on the planet. I think it could even be the planet, that Carpathia is sentient and has taken a violent dislike to the people of Forthaven.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Too little, too late for me I'm afraid, Cat. Although when Helen Cutter complete with her amazing up-lift bra turned up on the scene, I did harbour the fleeting hope that that we were about to get a surprise cross-over with the ever so slight better Primeval.
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:16 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Too little, too late for me I'm afraid, Cat. Although when Helen Cutter complete with her amazing up-lift bra turned up on the scene, I did harbour the fleeting hope that that we were about to get a surprise cross-over with the ever so slight better Primeval.
And multiple Helen Cutters at that. As you say, too little too late.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Just watched Episode #7. Why couldn't David Farr have been the head writer on this project. He seems to have a far better grasp of the concept than series creator Ben Richards. All the episodes he has written have been bloody good.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next