[ 4 ]
31% 31% 
[ 4 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 13

Rate "The Almost People"

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Thu May 26, 2011 1:11 am

What do you think of Episode 6 of Series 6? Thank goodness it's not starting at 6pm! Razz

Open for business immediately after UK transmission.

Last edited by The Co=Ordinator on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Number of posts : 11054
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rate "The Almost People"

Post by Rich Flair on Sat May 28, 2011 12:18 pm

I've heard that it might start to make sense soon, but that may just be an urban myth.
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfighter Pilot on Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 pm

I thought that was brilliant! Answered a few questions, asked a whole lot more, and was tense throughout. And what a finish! Much better than last weeks average opener.
Starfighter Pilot
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 802
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore on Sat May 28, 2011 12:41 pm

2/5, which I think is my lowest rating since we started doing this. I didn't believe the character motivation; people switched from violent opposition to hippy shangalang I'll-die-for-you in a blink of eye. I mean, perhaps that is how people react whilst being attacked by themselves, but it was certainly odd. It's a shame because it was certainly ambitious. A story trying for both traditional base-under-seige hokum and a philosophical debate about the nature of self must be praised for its audacity.
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Sat May 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Pleased to see the return of the critter from The Lazarus Experiment. Smile

Although it had its moments, and some nice nods to fans, most of that was a mess. The contradictions in the plot grew as the episode progressed, and I really couldn't give a stuff for the characters, whether human or ganger. And the conclusion to the main narraative was just rubbish.

Matthew Graham should NEVER be allowed near Who again. 2/5.

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sat May 28, 2011 2:09 pm

I totally called Amy as being a Rutan and I was darned close.

The plot seemed to have a lot of holes and there did seen to be stuff that was lobbed in to add peril where there wasn't any before.

It's getting a two from me because no matter how brilliant Matt Smith is, he can't carry everything on his own and there was criminal underuse of Known Good Cast.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Sat May 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Marshall Lancaster in particular.

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow on Sat May 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a mess, and I thought the direction was poor too - when you've got that many dopplegangers running around, it's hard to keep track of just who you're watching in a particular scene, not made any easier by them having pretty inconsistent motivations.

Plus, while the ending's good as a shock, when the last two episodes have been about showing how gangers are living creatures, it's a bit odd to end it with the Doctor killing Amy's ganger. They might just have got away with it as it not really being alive...if they hadn't had the scene where Rory and Jennifer find the mass of still-alive gangers.

Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Awards :

View user profile http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Sat May 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Agreed. One of the numerous irreconcileable differences.

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar on Sat May 28, 2011 3:44 pm

A good cliffhanger does not a good episode make. At the moment I'm leaning towards a 2, I'll have to rewatch it. Smith was excellent but the story itself didn't do much for me.

Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius on Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Nick Barlow wrote:Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a mess, and I thought the direction was poor too - when you've got that many dopplegangers running around, it's hard to keep track of just who you're watching in a particular scene, not made any easier by them having pretty inconsistent motivations.

Plus, while the ending's good as a shock, when the last two episodes have been about showing how gangers are living creatures, it's a bit odd to end it with the Doctor killing Amy's ganger. They might just have got away with it as it not really being alive...if they hadn't had the scene where Rory and Jennifer find the mass of still-alive gangers.

fair point although i'm hoping that will be addressed next week....

er 3- i'm not quite sure why the jenny creature suddenly became a massive monster and not sure why the almost doctor and whatsername had to die..

i've been avoiding spoilers but i couldn't really avoid hearing that there was a big one this week and that sort of ruined it. a bit.

anyway...Barcelona are a bit good.
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat on Sat May 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Nick Barlow wrote:Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a mess, and I thought the direction was poor too - when you've got that many dopplegangers running around, it's hard to keep track of just who you're watching in a particular scene, not made any easier by them having pretty inconsistent motivations.
The gangers are not stable so their motivation is inconsistent. They flip between the influence of the Flesh and the influence of their new fully human memories. This could have been made a lot clearer. Also the fact that the Flesh was fully sentient and not surprisingly hates the human race was mentioned in a blink and you will miss it sort of way, which was a bit weak. When the gangers go all Voldermort, they are under the influence of the Flesh and want to kill the humans. When they are under the influence of their human memories they are rational and civilised.

Nick Barlow wrote:Plus, while the ending's good as a shock, when the last two episodes have been about showing how gangers are living creatures, it's a bit odd to end it with the Doctor killing Amy's ganger. They might just have got away with it as it not really being alive...if they hadn't had the scene where Rory and Jennifer find the mass of still-alive gangers.
I read it that the discarded semi-melted gangers had experienced the same liberation as their fellows, but because they were so badly broken they had been reborn in agony and were slowly dying. Which brings us to the Amy-Ganger that The Doctor melted. It was a puppet, controlled by the real Amy, where ever she is. So melting down that version of Amy, which would be completely lifeless without the link to the real Amy was not a problem as it was not really alive.
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

View user profile http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky on Sat May 28, 2011 8:16 pm

I had no problem with this episode but then I'm a bit cloudy from a day spent pruning, mowing, walking down to the town street fair, getting rained on and having several drinks.

A level headed might have seen the Amy is a Ganger thing coming, but I was genuine surprised. And it actually makes some sort of sense of the eyepatch lady appearances.

OK, now that I think about it though, I still don't get why the Doctor had to go to the trouble of making a Flesh duplicate. Dammit, no, I'm not going to think this too deep. Going to watch the rest of the Mutants instead.
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 83
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb on Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 am

You know what really bothered me? The Doctors exchanged shoes. How? In every other case it was shown that the.clothes were part of the Ganger. Also, the.sonic screwdriver, which should have melted itself first, being closest to the source of the flesh meltyness.

Hmmm.

Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards :

View user profile http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Sun May 29, 2011 2:04 am

Hacky wrote:Going to watch the rest of the Mutants instead.

lol!

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian on Sun May 29, 2011 4:11 am

As with part one, no idea where to rank this really. Characters motives were all over the place, as was the Sonic Screwdriver. Ganger Doctor gave it to real Doctor who went off with it, yet two minutes later Ganger Doctor still has it. Were there two running around? Did it get gangered too?

And what was the message? In one scene the Doctor gives a big speech about Gangers being alive in the same way as humans and in the next scene HE KILLS ONE????

We know that Graham can write fantastically, so why does he deliver messes like this for DW? I'm also getting bored of characters choosing to die when they're no longer any use to the plot. Granted this wasn't as bad as Vampires of Venice for doing that though.

Really this is a 2.5/5 but I'm rounding down to two (I rounded down to 3 last week).

Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair on Sun May 29, 2011 4:51 am

I wouldn't blame Graham for all of it - there's a lot of the last ten minutes that either Moffat wrote or Graham was just acting on instructions.
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow on Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 am

Rich Flair wrote:I wouldn't blame Graham for all of it - there's a lot of the last ten minutes that either Moffat wrote or Graham was just acting on instructions.
Yes, it's interesting seeing some of the people who used to blame RTD for everything bad in every episode on his watch, suddenly claiming that problems in this series are nothing to do with Moffat...

Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Awards :

View user profile http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore on Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote:
The gangers are not stable so their motivation is inconsistent. They flip between the influence of the Flesh and the influence of their new fully human memories. This could have been made a lot clearer. Also the fact that the Flesh was fully sentient and not surprisingly hates the human race was mentioned in a blink and you will miss it sort of way, which was a bit weak. When the gangers go all Voldermort, they are under the influence of the Flesh and want to kill the humans. When they are under the influence of their human memories they are rational and civilised.

One way it would have been easier to see the pull between the influence of the flesh and the influence of human memories if the non-ganger versions of the characters weren't similarly pulled between outright violence and group hugs. And if it was Flesh inflence, how come The Doctor's ganger wasn't similarly tormented?
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Sun May 29, 2011 7:04 am

I found this to be a bit of a convoluted mess. Yes, it had some disturbing imagery, but I think my objection to this was that I couldn't find any connection to the characters. Some of that was down to the fact that I had a hard time, at points in the story, figuring out if the actor I was watching was a human or a ganger. Some of it was down to the fact that I just didn't find these characters interesting or sympathetic.

I'm going to have to give this a 2.

Check Out My Book:
Licence: Reviewed, 50 Years Of James Bond Movies
Dr. No through Skyfall

Now Available On:
AMAZON (for Kindle Readers); BARNES & NOBLE (for Nook Readers);  Apple iTunes (for iBooks on Mac or iOS); and KOBO  (for Kobo Book Readers)

What Are You Doing Here?
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair on Sun May 29, 2011 7:27 am

At least we're getting a consistent series this year - I've given a 3 to everything apart from the aberration that was The Doctor's Wife. If we did these things over a 10 point scale I would have probably sprung for a few 5s and 7s.
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator on Sun May 29, 2011 10:46 am

Don't forget to vote in the combined story thread folks! Smile

Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John the Vic on Sun May 29, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm afraid I must differ from most views given here.. I loved it, and thought it was the fourth episode in a row which gets at least 8 or 9 out of 10.. Yes, it was confusing in some ways, but it wouldn't be the same if it was all solved in 45 minutes.. It's good to see the dark Doctor coming out too, instead of the slight Jim Carreyness that threatened to ruin the characterisation at one stage.. And the cliffhanger? That opens up a whole cacophony of new questions.. Bring it on... Smile
John the Vic
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea on Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 pm

I watched this again last night (my sister had missed it travelling up and I thought she had to see it before next Saturday or she'd really wonder what was going on in the next episode!) I found I enjoyed it very much more on this second viewing; of course I understood it better as well. It still had some problems for me but actually I'd rather like to watch it again - and I didn't think i'd be saying that!
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:18 pm

So, what about The Almost People, eh?

Personally, I enjoyed much of what was on offer. Not least of which was how many of the questions regarding identity, individuality and our innate sense of self posed in the first part of the story were expanded upon here to such an extent that they highlighted, for me at least, aspects of the on-going story arc threads that have been running since this series’ opener. Nothing is clear-cut here: from the overshadowing spectre of prejudice which taints humans and gangers alike, that is neatly highlighted by Amy’s unconscious attitude towards the “Flesh Doctor” to the subtle hint that the Doctor might just be more aware of the larger machinations that have been going on around him since The Impossible Astronaut, than any one suspected.

It’s good, very enjoyable – but not perfect. Especially when it comes to the handling of certain characters; Buzzer and Dicken being both the prime examples and victims when it comes to that. Especially Dicken – whose noble self-sacrifice is rendered hollow by dint of the fact that we know sod all of him apart from the fact that he tends to err on the sneezing side. To call him on dimensional would be an understatement. He’s barely a creditable cardboard cut-out – yet we’re expected to empathize when he meets his heroically grisly end. It’s a minor, if rather exasperating misstep from an otherwise well-honed script. Rather more worryingly, it’s a mistake we’re destined to see replayed in the following episode. But more of that a little later.

So, over all The Almost People garners a 4/5 from me, as did its first part. Entertaining and sporting several really interesting ideas. Yes, it could have been better – but not by much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum