Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sherlock... What did you think?

+14
Nick Barlow
Lee Carey
Rich Flair
Zoltar
Sid Seadevil
Jennyjenkins
Starfighter Pilot
barnaby morbius
Dave Webb
lucy_who
andrea
Johnstone McGuckian
Lucy McGough
John the Vic
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock... What did you think?

Post by Rich Flair Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 am

It's encouraging to find that Gattis hasn't completely lost his ability to write something decent!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Poster10
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock... What did you think?

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:10 am

Ah, you saw "First Men in the Moon" too...but seriously: what say all all try to forget about that Dalek mess. It's for our own good.

Last edited by Sid Seadevil on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Agreed with you both re the ending to three. But that was no way near enough to tarnish enjoyment by itself. More a minor niggle.
Indeed. It's a compliment to the series and its stars that we're impatient to see more.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Person10
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Poster10
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:13 am

Absolutely. It's not often these days on our televisual screens that we see a widely popular instant classic is born .
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 am

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten First Men in the Moon. Also very good.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 am

You know, I almost can't blame entirely for the Dalek misfire. After all it wasn't him who greenlit it. And let's face it, it wasn't really a proper episode, just an extended marketing ploy for the horrifically ill-conceived "iDalek" design.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:03 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Agreed with you both re the ending to three. But that was no way near enough to tarnish enjoyment by itself. More a minor niggle.
Yes, the ending was the one big flaw.

Sid Seadevil wrote:You know, I almost can't blame entirely for the Dalek misfire. After all it wasn't him who greenlit it. And let's face it, it wasn't really a proper episode, just an extended marketing ploy for the horrifically ill-conceived "iDalek" design.
I found quite a few things to enjoy in Victory of the Daleks. Unfortunately they were rather overshadowed by the things I didn't enjoy. A real mixed bag. Still, I preferred it to the Silurian two parter (probably - I haven't rewatched either which is not a good sign).
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:12 am

andrea wrote:I found quite a few things to enjoy in Victory of the Daleks. Unfortunately they were rather overshadowed by the things I didn't enjoy. A real mixed bag. Still, I preferred it to the Silurian two parter (probably - I haven't rewatched either which is not a good sign).
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that there was nothing enjoyable about the episode. Just that anything good was crucially overshadowed by dictates beyond the script/story itself. And I agree with you about the Silurian story. It certainly in no way justified its two part status.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 am

Thoroughly enjoyed Sherlock, even if the middle story was the most pedestrian of the three. Moffat's opener was a textbook example of pushing the boundaries of genre television; and Gatiss' final episode confirmed my long held belief that the problem with his Dr Who stories is an over reverence for the original series which means they never seem as innovative as his other work (I think Chris Chibnal may have the same problem).

I also like the shape of the series following the first three Doyle collections: two "feature length" works followed by a collection of short stories (and hats off to Gatiss for presenting the ideal way of adapting the Holmes short stories into one continuous narrative).

One of my favourite pieces of tv this year, Sherlock. Up there with Dr Who and the scene in Celebrity Big Brother when Brian reacted to Nikki wondering whether Nadia was having a period...
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Creato10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:15 am

Excellent points, well made, Lee old fellow. Certainly I think there's a lot to your observation of Gatiss and Chibbers over reverence. Particularly Gattis - whose work outside DW has often been highly impressive and never less than enjoyable.

Hmmm...you've given me definite food for though.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:26 am

So, Moffat's second series ends with a confusing series of nested plots and a hero who has to fake his own death to take the pressure off him and can't tell his friends he's still alive.

Should I cross-post this to the 'The Wedding of River Song' thread too? Smile
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 am

Nicely observed, Nick!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 am

Nearly all I hear is about how great Sherlock is. And yet one or two people I know are quite scathing, and given what you've posted Councillor I now understand why.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 am

i thought it was a terrific series- moffat, gatiss and thompson have produced some truly mediocre doctor who over the last 2 years but this was great. brilliant chemistry between the 2 main characters as well.

nothing much to look forward to on tv now until game of thrones at easter. anyone got any tv reccomendations?

(except masterchef, obviously)
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Lionhe10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:24 am

I agree with Barnaby!

Do you watch the show Tony? You're missing out if you don't.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

No, I haven't watched any of it.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 pm

My word! Sort this out at once!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:13 pm

It's hard not to see a parallel, yeah. Still, very entertaining telly. A Scandal in Belgravia being the best of this series I thought.

One hopes they somehow find time to film a third series sooner rather than later.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 am

I think it's a good series, just not the second coming of televisual Jesus that some people seem to think it is.
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:22 am

It is an incredibly good series. It does have its faults here and there and in both series, Thomson's have been the weakest by a long shot. But otherwise its a very fun series and it does very well, despite its challenging premise.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 am

I hadn't seen the parallels but having had them pointed out, have to agree. The difference, for me, is that I thought they were fine in Sherlock - which I love - but not Doctor Who. Which probably indicates that I simply have too strong a notion of what DW should be rather than there being anything wrong with Moffat's take on it.

I actually thought Thomson's episode was rather good this time - I can't remember what he did last year.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:05 am

Series 3 Confirmed.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

Patrick wrote:Series 3 Confirmed.
Can't say I'm a bit surprised. Still, nice to know it's confirmed.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 am

Nick Barlow wrote:So, Moffat's second series ends with a confusing series of nested plots and a hero who has to fake his own death to take the pressure off him and can't tell his friends he's still alive.

Curse that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for stealing the end of The Wedding of River Song one hundred and twenty years before it was shown.
Nick Barlow wrote:I think it's a good series, just not the second coming of televisual Jesus that some people seem to think it is.
I think it's an excellent series, and I doubt I'll watch much that equal its quality this year, but am interested in "the second coming of televisual Jesus that some people seem to think it is" as I've yet to see anyone claim that.

Or is an expression of enjoyment about anything to be disregarded nowadays? That's an incredibly adolescent opinion to have. To paraphrase the gospels of St. Julian of Cope, the archdrude himself, cynicism and irony are simply things to hide behind out of fear that others may dislike the things you do.

That said, Stormaggeddon only made it through the first third of A Scandal In Bohemia, and then the sight of the naked Irene Adler made him hungry.

Which is a positive reaction, I think.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Sherlock... What did you think?  - Page 2 Creato10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Lee Carey wrote:
Nick Barlow wrote:So, Moffat's second series ends with a confusing series of nested plots and a hero who has to fake his own death to take the pressure off him and can't tell his friends he's still alive.

Curse that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for stealing the end of The Wedding of River Song one hundred and twenty years before it was shown.
Wow, anyone might think that the Blessed Moffat couldn't come up with his own ideas.
Lee Carey wrote:
Nick Barlow wrote:I think it's a good series, just not the second coming of televisual Jesus that some people seem to think it is.
I think it's an excellent series, and I doubt I'll watch much that equal its quality this year, but am interested in "the second coming of televisual Jesus that some people seem to think it is" as I've yet to see anyone claim that.
Yes, no one used that exact phrase and under the Poetic Licence Act of 2007, I'm no longer allowed to exaggerate or slightly tweak what's really been said for mildly comic effect.
Lee Carey wrote:Or is an expression of enjoyment about anything to be disregarded nowadays? That's an incredibly adolescent opinion to have. To paraphrase the gospels of St. Julian of Cope, the archdrude himself, cynicism and irony are simply things to hide behind out of fear that others may dislike the things you do.
So is only mindless admiration to be allowed? Are people not allowed to say 'I liked it, but it had a few issues with sexism that I found rather disconcerting' or 'it's good, but there are other things I enjoy watching more', or is that level of discernment and nuance only allowed to adolescents now?
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum