Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Stories: Season 15

+4
Patrick
Frank
Dave Webb
Colin Hicks
8 posters

Go down

Favourite Stories from Season Fifteen

Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_left39%Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_right 39% 
[ 13 ]
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_left18%Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_right 18% 
[ 6 ]
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_left6%Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_right 6% 
[ 2 ]
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_left21%Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_right 21% 
[ 7 ]
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_left6%Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_right 6% 
[ 2 ]
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_left9%Favourite Stories: Season 15 Bar_right 9% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 33

Favourite Stories: Season 15 Empty Favourite Stories: Season 15

Post by Colin Hicks Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:39 am

What are your favourite stories from Season Fifteen?
Colin Hicks
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Awards : Favourite Stories: Season 15 Creato10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Favourite Stories: Season 15 Empty Re: Favourite Stories: Season 15

Post by Dave Webb Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Fang Rock is the Bees Knees. It has everything: a base under siege, inept upper class civilians, creepy (and badly realised) monster, Leela being a bit savage and disconcerting all around her, Tom Baker, buckets of period atmosphere and an implausible bit of sciens!!11 to round out the plot.

At the time, it was completely what I thought of as Good Doctor Who, and even now it's still pretty impressive.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards : Favourite Stories: Season 15 Poster10
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Reviews of the first three stories of Season 15 are now up in the Return To The Valley...thread. Enjoy.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 922
Awards : Favourite Stories: Season 15 Person10
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Creato10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://www.cathoderaytube.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Dave Webb wrote:Fang Rock is the Bees Knees. It has everything: a base under siege, inept upper class civilians, creepy (and badly realised) monster, Leela being a bit savage and disconcerting all around her, Tom Baker, buckets of period atmosphere and an implausible bit of sciens!!11 to round out the plot.

At the time, it was completely what I thought of as Good Doctor Who, and even now it's still pretty impressive.

I can't add anything to what Dave has said here. "Fang Rock" represented the bright spot for series 15 for me.

The irony is that the first episode of Doctor Who I ever saw was the one that came next- "Invisible Enemy." I had to wait until they got to the end of season 17 (which was all my local PBS station had access to in 1981) and have the series come back around before I ever saw it.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Favourite Stories: Season 15 Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Patrick wrote:
Dave Webb wrote:Fang Rock is the Bees Knees. It has everything: a base under siege, inept upper class civilians, creepy (and badly realised) monster, Leela being a bit savage and disconcerting all around her, Tom Baker, buckets of period atmosphere and an implausible bit of sciens!!11 to round out the plot.

I can't add anything to what Dave has said here.
Same here. Fang Rock is a favorite of mine.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Frank wrote:Reviews of the first three stories of Season 15 are now up in the Return To The Valley...thread. Enjoy.
And fine reviews they were, Frank.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Favourite Stories: Season 15 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by TOMSPY77 Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:58 pm

In order of best to worst, I like:

1. Sunmakers
2. Horror of Fang rock
3. Underworld

I know most don't care for Underworld, but until last year I had never seen most of these story's from this season, and I thought these three were the tops.

Image just lacked something for me, although i liked epiosde one a lot. I really for some reason don't have much more to say about this one.

Invisible Enemy was the story they were on when I was born but beside the parts where they are inside the Doctor's body, it rather bored me to be honest...

Invasion of Time was a mixed bag, some parts were o.k., like the cliffhanger where the Doctor seems to be evil, and does that perfect laugh. I am currently reading the NA No Future, and the Vardens are really terrible villains, I just don't like them.
I'll also make the usual comment about brickwork in the Tardis and leave it at that.

Of the three I like Sunmakers stand out of the best of three, a great view on taxation and a great baddie in the Collector.

Horror of Fang Rock is another good one, and I think what I like best about it is that it's a great example of those story's where diverse people are forced to interact together. I like that sort of thing for soem reason.
It also holds a place in my heart because on one of its many showing in my home town of Chicago, it was part of the strangest events to involve Who which I actually wrote an article about and also have videos for (Not a shameless plug, I'm just fascinated by it.):
http://www.freewebs.com/tomspy77/articlesintime.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycVTXtm0U0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mzkt4N77s

Underworld felt underrated to me, I especially loved idea that the Timelords at one time did not have the policy on non intervention. The story does dip in some spots, but like Battlefield and Time-Flight, it's just one of those story's that most everyone hates and I LOVE.
TOMSPY77
TOMSPY77
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:18 pm

The Horror of Fang Rock & Image of the Fendahl
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : Favourite Stories: Season 15 Lionhe10

Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Balbinder Mann Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:15 am

The Horror of Fang Rock and The Sun Makers are the two stories that work best, in their own individual ways. Neither are by any means classics, but they do what they do well. Image of Fendahl, I haven't seen for a long time, but I remember it being good, but lacking the sheer impact of some of the other 'horror' DWs of the time.

The rest.... No
Balbinder Mann
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down