Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined

+5
stanmore
Johnstone McGuckian
Zoltar
Patrick
The Co=Ordinator
9 posters

Go down

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_left27%Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_right 27% 
[ 4 ]
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_left53%Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_right 53% 
[ 8 ]
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_left13%Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_right 13% 
[ 2 ]
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_left7%Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_right 7% 
[ 1 ]
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_left0%Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Empty Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 am

For the first time, this year as well as the rate and discuss threads for each episode in the case of 2 parters we'll also be running dedicated threads for the entire story.

So do please pop in here and say what you thought about the opening story as an entire entity. Open for business at 6.45pm BST Saturday. Smile

Last edited by The Co=Ordinator on Sun May 22, 2011 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Person10
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Empty Re: Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sun May 01, 2011 12:27 pm

No-one commenting on the whole? Shocked Overall for me 4/5, a slow strat that built up nicely and left me wanting more!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Empty Re: Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined

Post by Patrick Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:No-one commenting on the whole? Shocked Overall for me 4/5, a slow strat that built up nicely and left me wanting more!

I had the advantage of BBC-America playing a reprise episode of Impossible Astronaut right before the 7:00 PM premiere of Day of the Moon. Maybe it's just me, but this two part presented me with a similar theme of reality battling it out with illusion that we saw in The Eleventh Hour.

I absolutely loved this two parter- completely bonkers ride that forced you to pay attention for fear of missing a clue. And what a bunch of unresolved questions to get sorted out in this series:
-Is Amy pregnant, or not? And why was there a picture of her holding a baby in the child's room?
-Who was the face that appeared in the sliding window of the child's room, and what did "I think she's dreaming" mean?
-If the Silence has, indeed, been defeated, what's become of the one being held in the dwarf star cell in Area 51?
-The NASA space suit was left without an occupant in 1969. So was in the suit in 2011 to shoot the Doctor on the beach at Lake Powell?

And I'm still not convinced all that random nonsense of the Doctor "waiving" to Amy and Rory from history in the pre-credit sequence to Impossible Astronaut was irrelevant. Remember just following the scene where the Doctor is caught hiding under the skirts of a lady who was painting his picture? Just after that, Amy is recounting the scene from a history book, and goes on to state that after being taken to the Tower of London, the following night a golden orb appeared and "spirited" the Doctor away. Well, last night, after Day of the Moon was over, BBC-America showed a special on the making of this 2-parter in America, and toward the end, there was a clip I had not seen in any trailer: an image of the TARDIS bouncing along in the vortex being pursued by a gold-colored sphere. Certainly caused my eyebrows to raise.

I'm giving this two-parter a 4/5- and I'm guessing that when all the questions get answered, my rating may go up.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun May 01, 2011 1:28 pm

I'll give it a 4/5, same score I gave the two parts.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Sun May 01, 2011 3:04 pm

A good solid 4 from me. A fun ride with many mysteries still yet to be solved. The solution was a bit of a letdown but then again I can't be expecting overly-epic from a series opener. More enjoyable that the last series finale though.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Sun May 01, 2011 3:26 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:No-one commenting on the whole? Shocked

I'm not absolutely sure it is a whole.

A dizzying and intriguing sequence of events, with some of my favourite scenes for many a year, though, by itself, unsatisfying. I'm sure it'll be satisfying come November, though.
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 am

A superb story on the whole and I pretty much agree with much of what Patrick said. One thing does surprise me though is that thus far, nobody has commented on the fact that the woman Amy's see's looking out from the child's room was non other than noted thesp Francis Barber herself.

So clearly, this and the scenes immediately following are going to pay off heavily down the line.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Poster10
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 am

Johnstone McGuckian wrote:A good solid 4 from me. A fun ride with many mysteries still yet to be solved. The solution was a bit of a letdown but then again I can't be expecting overly-epic from a series opener. More enjoyable that the last series finale though.

i enjoyed it but was confused by it. i'll have to watch it again.

definitely a lot better than the last finale though.
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Lionhe10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am

I was a bit miffed that the cliffhanger from part one was resolved via a 'with one bound the Chums were free' flashback, because the buildup was properly nailbitey.

I was confused by Part Two, although I now have lots of complicated wild speculation to amuse myself with. I saw it again the following day and it did make more sense. There were two 'did not do the research' issues, a bit of flubbing and some jiggery pokery, but I take it as a sign of growing maturity that I didn't once let them stop me actually enjoying the show.

I was going to say 3.5 out of 5, but I really like leads and the supporting cast, and the superbly creepy children's home, so let's call it a solid 4.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon May 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:A superb story on the whole and I pretty much agree with much of what Patrick said. One thing does surprise me though is that thus far, nobody has commented on the fact that the woman Amy's see's looking out from the child's room was non other than noted thesp Francis Barber herself.

So clearly, this and the scenes immediately following are going to pay off heavily down the line.
It's an intriguing scene, I just rewatched it. It's as if the children's home isn't what it seemed to be at all and Barber's character was the reality of the place peeking in for a moment through the illusion.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Zoltar wrote:It's an intriguing scene, I just rewatched it. It's as if the children's home isn't what it seemed to be at all and Barber's character was the reality of the place peeking in for a moment through the illusion.
Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I read that scene too. A rather nice seemingly throw-away moment that's actually a major piece of foreshadowing.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue May 03, 2011 12:41 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I read that scene too. A rather nice seemingly throw-away moment that's actually a major piece of foreshadowing.
I had a thought about that which I posted in a GB thread, some speculation. I'll spoiler tag it.

Spoiler:
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger Ninja Tue May 03, 2011 3:27 am

As a standalone, part 1 was a convoluted mess but together. Brilliant!
It builds up and up and up and the very end, OH YEAH!
Ginger Ninja
Ginger Ninja
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 229
Awards : Rate "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon" Combined Lionhe10
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue May 03, 2011 6:57 am

Zoltar wrote:
Sid Seadevil wrote:Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I read that scene too. A rather nice seemingly throw-away moment that's actually a major piece of foreshadowing.
I had a thought about that which I posted in a GB thread, some speculation. I'll spoiler tag it.

Spoiler:
This makes a lot of sense. Nice thinking, old chum.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down