Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season?

+3
The Co=Ordinator
Lucy McGough
delgadofan
7 posters

Go down

Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Empty Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season?

Post by delgadofan Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:42 am

Most seasons or producer-eras of DW keep to a certain tone template for their run - eg Season 7 grrrrrittiness and - oh, go on then, it's Christmas - grrrrrrrrrrrrravitas; a Masterly Season 8 with Dudley Simpson on high doses of LSD; a so-called Gothic trilogy of seasons from 1975-77; Key To Time etc etc. Despite obvious variety in storylines, its that Tone element that remains intact.

One of the strengths (or weaknesses for some) of RTD's reign was the remarkable shift in tone over 13 episodes, and maybe a reason for schizophrenic voting trends as the show segued, for example, from a knockabout Slitheen romp to intense high drama with a lone Dalek and continued this trend pretty much throughout the four years. Folks who can happily change Worzel heads each week will have been in hog heaven.

Now, although Moffat has hinted that he won't be veering wildly from RTD's template, Moffat's idiosyncratic stamp will surely make its presence felt on all episodes within a run to greater or lesser extents, just as RTD's fingerprints are left on every story thus far - with maybe Moffat's receiving the least 'tampering' due to contractual clauses, but I still *feel* the big Welshman's presence breathing over every ep's shoulder.

Will Moffat eventually settle into a house style where tone remains consistently solid as a rock despite variable storylines/ideas, and if so, will it actually begin to bore viewers who desire a bit of slap with their tickle and grrrrrrrrrrrrravitas?
delgadofan
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Empty Re: Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season?

Post by Lucy McGough Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:13 am

Tone should be in the midpoint between Human Nature (extremely bleak, only 'joke' is Baines' racist remark to Martha) and Aliens of London (almost 100% jokes, not bleak at all).

In fact, tone should be that of the two-parter The Doctor Dances - very dark, very scary but with quite a few laugh out loud moments.

Who was it who wrote The Doctor Dances again?
Lucy McGough
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Awards : Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Poster10
Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-09

http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Empty Re: Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season?

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:46 am

I think the Moff will be less prone to RTD 'quirky' self-indulgent stylee moments. BTW this is not a crticism of RTD! Very Happy
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Person10
Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balbinder Mann Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:30 pm

I hope we keep a variety of tone and style, TBH. A samey-ness can creep in, and things start getting a little predictable, no matter how good the stories are if you go that way (the Hinchcliffe era is a perfect example of that, and Moffats own DW stuff, come to that).

Keep the audience on their toes! One of the beauties of this show is how it can encompass loads of different story styles - it's a strength, not a weakness.

Last edited by Balbinder Mann on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Balbinder Mann
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Balbinder Mann Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:32 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:I think the Moff will be less prone to RTD 'quirky' self-indulgent stylee moments. BTW this is not a crticism of RTD! Very Happy

Having watched Jekyll, I'm not so sure if this is going to be true.... Wink
Balbinder Mann
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by delgadofan Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Balbinder Mann wrote:

Keep the audience on their toes! One of the beauties of this show is how it can encompass loads of different story styles - it's a strength, not a weakness.

Absolutely.

Allow audiences to throw their expectations regarding style into the bin before every story transmits; after all, expectation has been the downfall of many a Whovian, myself included - took me a few attempts to 'get' the Series 4 finale simply because of an RTD shopping list of delgadofan desires, theories, hopes and all the other rubbish that makes DW fandom such a wonderful but twisty obsession. Now I can't praise the finale enough for its ingenious conceit, scattered structure and constant punctuation of wit - DW as true Rock and Roll. He's sneaky, that Rusty - as clever as they come but a card-carrying cheeky bastid with it.
delgadofan
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 am

Balbinder Mann wrote:I hope we keep a variety of tone and style, TBH. A samey-ness can creep in, and things start getting a little predictable, no matter how good the stories are if you go that way (the Hinchcliffe era is a perfect example of that, and Moffats own DW stuff, come to that).

Absolutely. I like the variety of styles. It wouldn't be Doctor Who without variety and I think might lose some audience.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Kindes10
Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:28 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Tone should be in the midpoint between Human Nature (extremely bleak, only 'joke' is Baines' racist remark to Martha) and Aliens of London (almost 100% jokes, not bleak at all).

In fact, tone should be that of the two-parter The Doctor Dances - very dark, very scary but with quite a few laugh out loud moments.

Who was it who wrote The Doctor Dances again?
Well, I don't know Lucy. I loved both Human Nature and Aliens of London (yes, really) so I'd still want that variety personally.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Kindes10
Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ioan Morris Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Fortunately, we have someone taking over who's just as intelligent and TV-literate as RTD, and understands that variety is the name of the game.

The Doctor can travel anywhere in space or time (alright, mostly it's earth) so it stands to reason that each week, each adventure, is going to be different from the last. That, to me, has always been part of the programme's appeal.

If anything, I think Moffat will go more out-there and really annoy those 500 angry blokes in the Other Place. I'd love to see him do a tightly plotted - his forte - PG Wodehouse style farce. I can just imagine it being brilliant. He's also commented that he's excited about writing more big, ballsy action/adventure stories.
Ioan Morris
Ioan Morris
Youngster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:36 pm

Over here, BBC-America is now showing series 4 on Saturday evenings. And during commercial breaks (Yes, I know, commercial breaks. During Doctor Who. Good Heavens!) they have been showing some interviews with the Moff that are not on the series 4 box set. Two of these interview snippets (they're no longer than sixty seconds in order to be part of a commercial break) in particular are of interest in this discussion.

In one, which aired during Partners in Crime, the Moff noted and openly praised RTD for having the ability to write such completely different stories as Partners in Crime and Midnight, and having both work within the structure of the series 4 narrative. In another, he talked about the formula for creating an episode of Doctor Who as coming down to this: you open the episode with perhaps two minutes of the Doctor and a companion in the TARDIS, and then get into the meat of the story. From there, you have 45 minutes to introduce a whole new world, a plot, and a group of characters that you have to move around and then dispose of. And it takes a really big idea each episode to do that.

This tells me that his style of approaching creating a whole series of Doctor Who will not be too dissimilar to RTD's, in terms of having varying tones and styles being presented. I find that re-assuring, and I'm eager to see what he presents us.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Person10

Will Variety Of Tone Continue, Or Will Moffat Choose A Consistent Feel Throughout Each Season? Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down