Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Series 7 Discussion

+2
The Co=Ordinator
Patrick
6 posters

Go down

Series 7 Discussion Empty Series 7 Discussion

Post by Patrick Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:57 am

Hey, you knew someone was going to start this thread sooner or later!

Right, so we don't know exactly what the scheduling is going to be like. Series 6 is only just concluded (and is due out on DVD and BluRay starting November 22nd). But we do have a few words from The Moff himself about series 7.

Make of this what you will, this is a direct copy-n-paste from the blog of one Keith 'Telly' Topping as of this past Tuesday:
"Doctor Who showrunner, executive producer and lead writer Steven Moffat has provided some hints for the show's next series in the new Brilliant Book of Doctor Who. In a Meet The Boss interview for the book, Moffat reveals: 'I've got a broad picture of the next fourteen [episodes]. Now I'm thinking, we had more public interest from Let's Kill Hitler - just those three words - than any trailer we've ever done, so let's do a series like that, where we really slut it up. That's what I've been saying in my writers' briefings just this week: "Write it like a movie poster. Let's do big, huge mad ideas."'

Any thoughts?
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Series 7 Discussion Person10

Series 7 Discussion Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Series 7 Discussion Empty Re: Series 7 Discussion

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:14 am

I think he needs to reign in the big huge mad ideas tbh.

Dear Moff, do remember wonderful storytelling like "The Empty Child" or the superb ingenuity of "Blink"? Can't we have more stuff like that please?
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Series 7 Discussion Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 am

I dunno, I don't mind big, huge and mad one bit. Flashy just to get more public interest? Meh. Really, it's way too soon to judge though.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Series 7 Discussion Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:I think he needs to reign in the big huge mad ideas tbh.

Dear Moff, do remember wonderful storytelling like "The Empty Child" or the superb ingenuity of "Blink"? Can't we have more stuff like that please?
The one with the second episode called "The Doctor Dances," and the one which Mrs Lee still refuses to rewatch because the concept is so frightening (Hey kids-- statues move when you look away)? Not to mention a love story fractured by time, or shadows that eat you.

Moffat has always written for the marquee effect.

As did Russell before him (hey kids: Doctor Who in Big Brother! Cybermen versus Daleks! The return of the Master! Every companion in the new series reunited and teaming up with Torchwood to fight the Daleks! Look, a regeneration you weren't expecting! Look, the build up to a regeneration we did tell you about, but before that, who's this Next Doctor chappy?))

And many peoples favourite story from the entirety of series six (the Doctor's Wife) did likewise. The thing Doctor Who really needs again is that standout from normality feeling-- if anything this year the quality has been as good as any other year, yet for some reason the programme seems to have become more lost amongst the tv landscape in comparison to previous years. That said, stand out marketing moments (such as a new Doctor or companion in the opening episode) were missing this year.

So no problems with that as an idea. As always in Doctor Who, it's the execution, not the concept, that will be important. Remember when we were told that season 23 would feature the Doctor put on trial by the Time Lords and we all thought "Great, a revisitation of the end of the War Games and The Deadly Assassin. And instead we got 14 weeks of some of the worst written Doctor Who evah! To this day I still can't make it through an entire episode of any of Trial of a Time Lord. Doctor Who at its worst.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Awards : Series 7 Discussion Poster10
Series 7 Discussion Creato10

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:16 am

Another kernel of information concerning Series 7, again from Keith Topping's blog:

Doctor Who's Karen Gillan has discussed how she would like to eventually exit the show in the new Brilliant Book of Doctor Who. In an interview, Gillan explains: 'I don't want Amy to pop up again every so often, because for me it would take away from the big, emotional goodbye.' She adds: 'Steven Moffat wants it as well. When Amy actually, properly leaves, we both really want it to be for good.' Pondering whether this could mean that Amy would be killed off, the actress comments: 'I think it could be done, if you tackled it right. Death could be an option.'

I can't believe the Moff would pull an Adric on us.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm

I can't believe we're going to have more Amy in Series 7.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Series 7 Discussion Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:53 am

[quote="Lee Carey"]
The Co=Ordinator wrote:
So no problems with that as an idea. As always in Doctor Who, it's the execution, not the concept, that will be important. Remember when we were told that season 23 would feature the Doctor put on trial by the Time Lords and we all thought "Great, a revisitation of the end of the War Games and The Deadly Assassin. And instead we got 14 weeks of some of the worst written Doctor Who evah! To this day I still can't make it through an entire episode of any of Trial of a Time Lord. Doctor Who at its worst.

I completely agree. I want to wait and see season 7 before deciding whether it's any good.

Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards : Series 7 Discussion Poster10
Series 7 Discussion Person10

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Dear Mr. Moffatt,

Please, if you must do a story arc, please return to the subtle blink and you will miss it references of Series 27 and 28. You know, when the whole "Bad Wolf" thing was an afterthought that spiced up the series as a whole, and when Torchwood references carefully peppered through out the series were important but not so important that if you missed an episode you were completely lost. As always, it is a case of less is more.

Yours sincerely,
The Browncoat Cat.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content