Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock"

2 posters

Go down

Rate: The Horror Of Fang Rock

Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_left0%Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]
Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_left67%Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_right 67% 
[ 2 ]
Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_left33%Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_right 33% 
[ 1 ]
Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_left0%Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Empty Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock"

Post by Patrick Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 am

A foggy night on an island in the English Channel, and several high-society types are being brought by rescue boat onto the island after the ship they were on capsized. The only structure on the island is a large lighthouse, that is, until the TARDIS arrives. Strangely, the electrical problems which had been plaguing the passengers from the ship, and been responsible for the death of one of the ships maintenance crew, seems to have followed this group to the island. The Doctor and Leela discover that it isn't merely bad luck that that's come ashore, its a shape-shifting Rutan (the sworn enemies of the Sontarans), and is about to make an attempt to summon mothership to Earth to rescue it. And as the stranded, isolated folks who've taken shelter in the lighthouse begin to end up dead, one by one, it seems this time the Doctor may be too late to save anyone.

So, what did you think of the story that not only kicked off Season 15, but gave us our first (and only) glimpse of a Rutan? Fully charged? Or just re-Volt-ing?
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Person10

Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Empty Re: Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock"

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 am

I know that Fang Rock is highly regarded in fandom but I've long found it overrated. 3/5.

Last edited by The Co=Ordinator on Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu May 08, 2014 3:01 pm

I think this story has gained its reputation based on the presence of the Rutans in this story. They are a significant back story element to understanding the Sontarans, and for the glimpse we got of them alone, I appreciate Fang Rock.

The story is a relatively straight forward whodunnit with the twist of the murderer being a panicky alien trying to manipulate circumstances to call for a pick-up. That takes nothing away from the fact that once again, the strength of a BBC production is that they get period correct down to the slightest details. I always love that in an episode of Who. Mind you, I don't think this episode is quite in a league with Talons of Weng-Chiang, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it over-rated. Not when it has dialogue like "I think his mind is broken."

I give Fang Rock a 4.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Rate "The Horror Of Fang Rock" Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 am

I think your mind is broken Fang Liver.