Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR"

+2
barnaby morbius
sparacus
6 posters

Go down

The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Empty The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR"

Post by sparacus Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 pm

DRAGON’S EAR AND DRUID’S SPEAR: Part 1

The sound of laughter and clinking glasses echoed through the old, country house as the party was in full swing. Heavy metal music blared loudly from the speakers and outside in the gardens several couples were copulating in the bushes, in between swigging from bottles of wine. In the main hall, young, vivacious and nubile Anthropology student Gabriella Dent sidled up to her boyfriend the bearded Archaeology student Elliot Rhys-Mandeville:
“Hey I like still can’t believe you were able to rent this place for the whole weekend for next to nothing. This Kerrigan guy must really rate your research skills.” Elliot grinned at her and swept his long hair aside:
“Yeah babe, I can’t like believe what a great 21st party this is turning out to be. All my mates like wee as c***, Slayer blasting out of the speakers and me about to take you upstairs and shag you ragged. What more can a dude want?”
Gabriella laughed out loud and stroked his beard.

Outside, beyond the misty lawns and dark spinney, the surface of the lake gently rippled and glimmered in the moonlight. It was a warm, sultry summer night with the light mist gently drifting across the water. Occasionally bats glided and swooped between the trees of the spinney as the sound of the party in the distance punctuated the night with its incongruous and intrusive presence. Slowly something began to stir under the water of the lake. It sensed the noise in the distance, the sound of young people shouting and laughing. It moved towards the surface, the predatory senses alert and engaged……

Back at the party, two long haired youths wearing Iron Maiden T-shirts were dancing on the table kicking beer glasses at the walls as others laughed. Elliot was leading Gabriella up the stairs when there was a massive crash and the sudden sound of screaming. They turned and saw it…….
Elliot screamed at Gabriella to run as a clawed arm thrashed towards them, blood spattering in all directions as the sound of teeth crunching through bone could be heard……..

In Cambridge, Ben and Emma Chatham walked towards the car as Kyle Scott loaded luggage into the boot.
“Ere you two ‘ave a good time okay” Kyle said as Emma smiled:
“How could we not do? A honeymoon in the Algarve… wonderful.” Ben frowned:
“I would still have preferred that we stuck to my original plan of a serious trip to the excavation site near Rouen where they think they have discovered the site of one of the Frankish king Clovis’ battles.” Emma was irritated:
“Ben, I want a proper honeymoon not an Archaeology trip.” As she spoke, Ben’s mobile rang. He had a short, muttered conversation before looking up with a grin:
“Hey guys, looks like the honeymoon will have to wait. We have a case!” Emma frowned:
“What do you mean Ben?”
“That was one of my old university lecturers Professor Gus Renfew. One of his most promising current students has gone missing under very odd circumstances. I need to go and visit him at once. Kyle, you may come along. I’ll text you later Emma.”
Emma was disgruntled:
“Look I don’t care about your old lecturer or his students. We are supposed to be going on honeymoon Ben.”
“It is far more important that I follow up a potential Operation Delta case than swan off on some holiday Emma”, Ben firmly replied.
“You are not being fair Ben” Emma angrily stated.
“I will discuss this with you when you are less emotional. Come on Kyle”.

Ben drove Kyle to Katie Ryan’s flat to pick her up before heading off to Professor Renfew’s rooms in Magdalene College. Katie was disgruntled as she had missed her breakfast:
“I was about to prepare myself some poached eggs and lightly grilled tomatoes. I don’t appreciate being dragged out without having eaten so I hope that this turns out to be important Ben.”
Kyle looked out of the window:
“Ere there’s a McDonalds over there. Lets stop and gerrus a bite”. Ben was bemused:
“I do not and would never consider frequenting a McDonalds Kyle. It is low quality food for the lumpen masses.” Katie interjected:
“Well I’m f*** famished Ben. Pull in there.” Ben flicked his luscious blonde locks out of his sad, dreamy eyes and sighed deeply:
“On your own heads be it.”

Entering the McDonalds Ben felt slightly nauseous as he saw the room overcrowded with screaming children, obese women in skin-tight leggings shouting at each other and teenage youths wearing baseball caps who were scowling at everyone. Ben reluctantly sat down as Kyle and Katie went to order food. Looking around, Ben was sickened by the tasteless garish colours of the décor and the inability of the customers to interact without shouting. A smiley McDonalds worker approached him:
“*smiling* Good morning Sir. I hope you’re having a nice day. Can I take your order?”
“No”.
“*smiling* Oh I’m sorry Sir. I didn’t know you had ordered already.”
“I haven’t. I have no intention of doing so. Please don’t smile at me as if I am a close friend or something. I’m not.” The worker looked uncomfortable and left. Ben noticed a young woman with a lip piercing on the next table shoving food at two emaciated looking children:
“’that’s ‘alf an ‘appy meal each for yer. Gerrit down yer, its all I can afford till I get me giro.” Ben was disgusted:
“Excuse me, but if you bought your food wisely off the market and learned how to cook then you could feed those children far more nutritiously and for a fraction of the cost of the rubbish they serve in here. No doubt the reason that you don’t is that you are too idle to prepare food yourself.” The woman flares up:
“Who the f*** asked your opinion? Snotty ****!” Ben sighed:
“You clearly think it is appropriate to use such invective in front of children. You are a disgrace frankly.”
One of the children makes a rude gesture towards Ben and the mother laughs. Ben turned away and saw a middle-aged and smartly dressed man approaching. The man leant over to Ben:
“I’d just like to say that the way you told it like it is to that woman was admirable *gestures to an empty seat* may I?”
“Er yes” Ben replied. The man sat down.
“I must confess Mr Chatham that me encountering you in here is no coincidence. I also know that you are about to visit Professor Renfew about a missing student.”
“How do you know this….. Who are you?” Ben asked.

A short time later, Kyle and Katie returned to the table after ordering their food. Ben was nowhere to be seen.
“Eees probably in the bog” Kyle observed. However after a while there was no sign of him.
“Either he’s having a marathon dump or something is wrong. Ring his mobile” Katie stated. Kyle rang Ben’s mobile:
“Ere its switched off. Summat’s up ………”

…….to be continued.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Lionhe10

The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Poster10
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Empty Re: The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR"

Post by barnaby morbius Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:29 pm

“Either he’s having a marathon dump or something is wrong"

still cutting it

barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Awards : The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Person10
The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Lionhe10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Empty Re: The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR"

Post by Dave Webb Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm

barnaby morbius wrote:“Either he’s having a marathon dump or something is wrong"

still cutting it

Absolutely. It's these nuances that keep the Ben Chatham stories so engaging. It's hard to think of anyone else who handles character and dialogue the same way.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards : The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Poster10
The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:01 am

I do find the juxtaposition of the sublime and the profane startling.

A couple of editing points: the sequence of tense goes askew in a few places, and the first asterisked sentence isn't quite clear. (I'm assuming that this is a first draft.)
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1460
The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am

Aspadistra wrote:I do find the juxtaposition of the sublime and the profane startling.

A couple of editing points: the sequence of tense goes askew in a few places, and the first asterisked sentence isn't quite clear. (I'm assuming that this is a first draft.)

Such trifles can be ironed out in later drafts.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Absolutely.
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 am

OK folks. The plot thickens.

"DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Part 2

Kyle and Katie, having searched the toilets and all through the McDonalds, rushed outside and looked around the car park. However there was no sign of Ben.
"Ring his damn mobile again!" Katie shouted.
"I 'ave done. Its switched off as I said" Kyle answered, looking into the car windows.
"Well I'm going back inside. The food will be ready by now" Katie said, flouncing back into the building. Kyle searched the car park a while longer before joining her.
"So should we like go back to Ben's apartment an 'ope he like just turns up?" Kyle asked.
"*munching a burger* No Kyle. Use your brain. We are on a case and will go and see this Renfew guy. If Ben is likely to turn up anywhere it is there", Katie replied.
"Hows about we contact Torchwood an get 'em to trace Ben using that gear they 'ave that can track his mobile even when its switched off?"
"Later Kyle. For all we know Ben has simply pulled someone and gone off with them. You know what he's like".

A short time later, Katie and Kyle were sitting in Professor Renfew's study. The room was extremely untidy with piles of books and unmarked assignments strewn around. Professor Renfew was an elderly academic with grey unkempt hair, a whispy beard andthick glasses. He wore a dowdy tweed suit.
"Now then, oh how nice it is to have visitors. Would you both like a cup of tea or would you prefer coffee".
"Ere I'd love a coffee" Kyle said.
"Two coffees please" Katie added.
"Oh splendid, splendid. Its so good to know that Ben has such delightful friends. Later I'll show you my latest research on iron age burial mounds in Dorset". Katie is bemused:
"We haven't got time to listen to you rabbit on about your latest academic research. We are here to follow up this missing student case that you contacted Ben about."
The Professor poured out the coffees and brought them over.
"Here you are. Surely you'll stay for a while though."
"Look just tell us about the student" Katie demanded.
"Oh dear well its all so strange you see. Elliot Rhys-Mandeville is his name. A brilliant young man, simply brilliant. He was sure to get a first, his reasearch project on the Winderbourne barrows was pioneering. It completely altered my understanding of late-neolithic burial practices."
"Never mind all that , how has he disappeared?" Katie demanded.
"Well he was always a rather lively young fellow and he had organised a party with his friends to celebrate his birthday. And then he and his group of friends simply vanished. The police visited the house that they had hired for the party and found no trace of them or of anything out of the ordinary. They believe that the group of them just took off travelling on a whim or something."
"An' you think otherwise like?" Kyle asked.
"Oh yes. Its simply not like Elliot. He may have been a bit wild but he was totally committed to his studies. He wouldn't just take off and throw away his degree. Also there are Miss Dent's statements."
"Miss Dent?"
"Oh yes. Gabriella Dent, Elliot's girlfriend. Flighty piece she is. They found her staggering down the A16 at five in the morning screaming about dragons. Has been institutionalised since".
"What do you mean 'about dragons'"? Katie asked.
"Oh lots of stuff about dragons killing her friends. Clearly the girl is deranged however there is something odd behind all of it as I told Ben."

After finishing the coffees, Katie insisted that they leave. Kyle was rather annoyed with her as they walked to the car.
"Ere we could 'ave let the old boy tell us about his work. He seemed a lonely sort."
"Oh perlease! We'd have been there for another two hours listening to the boring old get. I have a degree in Archaeology but even I'd draw the line at listening to him drone on about his pet projects. And you would have been bored stiff."
"Why'd you say that?"
"Because Kyle you are completely uneducated and your interests are daytime TV and petty crime" Katie replied laughing.
"Ere that ain't fair. That was me once yes. But I'm a different bloke now, I've learned stuff since working for Ben............"
Kyle stopped in mid-sentence as they saw Ben waiting for them by the car. He looked dazed and was leaning over the front. Katie rushed forward:
"Where the hell have you been Ben? Drinking?" Ben stood upright.
"Of course not... I can't remember.... Anyway it doesn't matter. Lets go."
"What do you mean it doesn't matter? And go where?"
"We are going on holiday. I've booked us in at a top class country retreat. We all need a break." Kyle and Katie look at each other.
"Ere Ben you sure you're ok like?" Kyle asked.
"Never felt better Kyle. Now lets go."

..............to be continued.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Oooh. Intriguing.
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 pm

OK folks, here is part 3 of this intriguing story:

"DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Part 3

In the car, Katie questioned Ben further:
"Look Ben, what the hell is going on? Huh? You disappear for hours and then suddenly return saying that you've arranged a country break? What about the case?" Ben gave a shrug:
"Who cares. We need a break from all this. Lighten up Katie."
"Don't ¤¤¤¤ing tell me to lighten up. Where did you go to?"
"Oh I just went for a walk. And to arrange the break. Chill out", ben replied with a smile. Kyle gave Katie a worried look:
"Ere for once I agree with Katie here. This ain't like you Ben, its like you're not yourself. The old Prof told us the 'ospital where the missing student dude's girlfriend is. Lets go there an' see 'er before we go anywhere else." Ben smiled:
"Ok Kyle, thats fine. Then we'll go to the country retreat." Kyle frowned:
"See, thats what I mean. That ain't like you Ben. Normally you'd 'ave said summat like, "I don't need you telling me what to do Kyle", or some other arsy comment. You being fair and reasonable ain't really you." Ben laughed:
"I'm happy Kyle. And I really value your suggestions." Kyle looked even more puzzled.

Arriving at the hospital, Kyle spoke to a receptionist and found out the ward that Gabriella Dent was in. They took the lift to level four and walked into Ward 32. A stern nurse asked them to use the hand steriliser on the wall before entering. They were shown to a private room where Gabriella Dent sat propped up in ben watching television.
"Hi Miss Dent. Were like investigating what 'appened to you. We belong to an organisation called Operation Delta" Kyle explained. Gabriella stared blankly at him:
"I've already told everything to the police". Katie switched off the tv and scowled:
"Well we arn't the police so you will damn well have to explain it all again won't you." Ben meanwhile had sat down on a side chair and was looking out of the window , grinning and completely disinterested in Gabriella, who began to talk.
"We were all having fun at the party.It was like really steamin' and Elliot was about to go upstairs with me when *starts to cry*"
"When what?" Katie demanded.
"... this thing, it just came crashing through the french windows..it bit into them.. blood.. so much blood."
"Well? What was it. Describe the damn thing!" Katie shouted. Kyle pulled her to one side:
"Hey, can't you see she's upset? Let me talk to 'er."
"Get you hands off my arm Kyle or I will shove your chavboy face into that wall."Kyle let go of Katie and moved towards Gabriella:
"Soz about all that. You just take your time and try to explain."
"I can't remember much, it was all so quick. It was a reptile thing... it killed Elliot. I keep seeing the blood... it bit into his face......*becoming hysterical* blood all over him it was horrible........"
Kyle let her cry on his shoulder:
"Hey you're ok now".
"Stop trying to pull her Kyle and tell her to stop snivelling" Katie stated, using her face mirror to apply some fresh lipstick. Kyle ignored her.
"Where did all this 'appen Gabriella?"
"It was a place called Ashbourne Manor. Elliot hired it for the weekend from a man called Kerrigan from the University."
"What, Professor Kerrigan the eminent historian?" Katie interjected.
"Yes thats him." Throughout the interview Ben remained silent and stared out of the window.

As they were leaving the room, two official looking men arrived.
"Excuse me, but are you relatives of Miss Dent?" one of them asked. Katie frowned:
"No we are from Operation Delta *shows membership card*. I presume you are from the police. Have you spoken to Professor Kerrigan yet?"
"Er yes Miss, but I really don't see why this should be any concern of yours.We are satisfied that Miss Dent is suffering from post intoxication delusions brought on by the consumption of illegal substances. There is nothing much else to all of this." Kyle is annoyed:
"What, you mean you're just dismissin' 'er like that? What about the other students who she says 'ave been killed?"
The detective laughs:
"We are investigating that yes. Why else do you think we are here? However I'm pretty much satisfied that they've all just taken off backpacking and that Miss Dent's boyfriend left her behind because he was tired of her. we found nothing untoward at all at the Manor and certainly no monsters *laughing again*"
"You're out of order mate. This ain't some big laugh, the girl is traumatised" Kyle exclaimed.
"As far as we are concerned Sir the case is closed. We will not be bringing charges against Miss Dent, despite the toxicology reports."

Outside in the car Kyle was still seething.
"Their attitude was bang out of order". Katie gave a shrug:
"You're just anti-police."
"Yeah ok, I ain't exactly got reason to trust the coppers, but they were just dismissin' everything she said as fantasy just because she'd done a few drugs at the party."
"Well maybe they're right."
"Yeah pull the 'aver one. A group of kids don't just take off backpackin in the middle of a party with no word to anyone and no phones or any way of contactin' em."
Throughout the conversation, Ben stared out of the car window grinning. He suddenly turned round:
"Can we go now. We need a break in the country." Katie stared at him:
"And where have you booked us into Ben?"
"Oh its a nice country house retreat called Ashbourne Manor........"

.........to be continued.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:30 am

Hmmm. Why did Ben disappear?

Is that a real policeman?

*awaits developments*
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:57 am

is Spara on his hols? where's the next episode?
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Jennyjenkins wrote:is Spara on his hols? where's the next episode?

I have been busy. However the next part is about to come.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:40 pm

OK folks, here is the much anticipated fourth part of this classic adventure:

"DRAGON'S EAR AND DRUID'S SPEAR" Part 4

Katie stared angrily at Ben:

"So you planned to investigate this all along? Quit the games playing Ben." Ben looked vacantly ahead:

"I don't know what you mean. I just want a holiday. In the country." Katie was bemused:

"You're acting ¤¤¤¤ing weird. Anyway lets go."

Katie drove them to Ashbourne Manor as Ben stared blanklyout of the window and uttered brief directions in a monosyllabic manner. As they approached the house via the long driveway they saw other cars arriving ahead. Groups of teenagers and early-twentysomethings were jumping out of cars and camper vans painted in psychedelic colours. Katie parked in frontof the house as a youth approached the car:

"Hey guys, where you like from then?"

"Cambridge. And why are all you ¤¤¤¤ing kids arriving? We were expecting a quiet country break." The youth laughed:

"Yeah? You serious? You didn't like see the ad on facebook?"

"What ad on facebook?"

"Advertising this party like here". Katie frowned.

"Seems odd that a place like this would allow a bunch of ¤¤¤¤ing teenagers to run riot in it."

"Yeah but look Katie, they're allowin' 'em in" Kyle replied, gesturing to the entrance where two porters were ushering youths and lary girls inside. They got out of the car and went inside themselves, Ben not uttering a word. Inside the entrance hall, the porters were extracting mobile phones from the kids and issuing them with tickets.

"You ain't 'avin my phone like" a rather obese girl with dyed blonde hair protested. The porter stared at her firmly:

"Then leave. You will have complete free reign to do what you like in this house tonight. The only rule is that you hand in all mobile phones and recoording devices. Security precaution in case of legal issues."

"Yeah all right then, if we gets to like 'ave a steamin' like time like" the girl replied, making a crude gesture. Kyle was concerned:

"This ain't right, these kids are bein' set up in some way."

"I had worked that out Kyle. But what can we do.We'll play along with it."

Kyle agreed but not before he had sent a crafty text to Shakey Jake and Corinne Shaw of Operation Delta asking for back up.

After handing in their phones they all went upstairs to their allocated rooms. Groups of youths roamed around the corridors shouting and the sound of fornicating couples could be heard behind the doors. They found a large room and threw their bags in the corner. Katie had a shower while Kyle put the tv on and watched 'Pointless'. Ben sat on the bed and stared blankly into space. Kyle kept glancing at him and then went to the bathroom. He tapped on the door of the shower cubicle, which Katie angrily opened a little:

"What the ¤¤¤¤ are you doing in here when I'm showering Kyle, you creepy perv?"

"Shhh. Do you want' 'im to hear us like?"

"Want who to hear us?"

"Ben. I think I know what's wrong wiv 'im. ' ipmotism. When he went off like in the McDonalds.... someones nabbled 'im."

"Oh what bollocks."

"LookI'm tellin' ya, he's bin 'ipmotised. I saw it on the telly on one a Martina Cole's late night crime programmes."

Katie turned off the shower.

"Kindly turn around Kyle, I don't want you leching at me. And pass me the bathtowel". Kyle turned his back and held out the towelbehind him. Katie wrapped herself in it and rubbed her hair. As she did so there was a loud bang on the door. They heard Ben open the door and a youth shouting:

"Hiya mate; the party's like on! The porters have like all cleared off and its just us in the place. Get yourselves downstairs if you ain't shaggin'."

A short time later, after Katie had dried herself and dressed in a revealing dark dress, they all went downstairs where the party was in full swing. Loud dance music blasted out of multiple speakers as gangs of youths swigged cans and danced on tables. Gaggles of laddettes screamed, shouted and swigged vodka from bottles. Ben smiled vacantly. Kyle nudged Katie:

"See what I mean like? Normally Ben'd be turnin' is nose up an goin on about how awful all of this is." As he spoke, a drunken youth gave Katie's left buttock a feel. She turned to Kyle:

"Frankly I don't care. Vulgar this may be but some of these boys are not bad looking and I intend to enjoy myself. At least they show me some attention."

Outside something stirred below the surface of the lake. As the noise of the party got louder and louder so did the urge to kill... to feed.....

........to be continued.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:44 pm

In other news, I will no longer be posting on Gallifrey Base. I've not enjoyed posting there for a long time . In my view Steven Hill has taken what was the best internet discussion forum I've ever encountered (Outpost Gallifrey) and ruined it. Anything interesting, amusing, controversial, funny, disturbing is out and instead its all bland threads about 'quite liking' things. The moderators have had sense of humour bypasses and the place seems to have had a mass exodus of all the best posters. Its boring and Mr Hill seems to like it that way.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Good for you Spara, and I entirely agree with you regarding Stephen W. Hill.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
The new Ben Chatham Story: "DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm

The true successor to Outpost Gallifrey (along with this most excellent site of course) has arrived:

http://sparacus.freeforums.net/index.cgi
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:31 pm

OK people: Here is part 5 of this dark, mythological classic:

DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR : Part 5

The party became louder and louder as drunken youths vomited out of windows onto the soft, fresh, dew soaked grass and girls guffawed while drinking vodka. Katie let a fresh-faced 18 year old with a ring through his bottom lip rub his hands all over her breasts. Kyle sipped lager from a can and watched the scene, becoming increasingly annoyed. Suddenly he dropped the can and went over to her, pulling her arm:
"Ere Katie, we're supposed to be investigatin' like not gettin' off our 'eads." The youth rounded on him:
"Whats your ****ing problem mate?" Kyle flared up:
"Do one pal alright. I ain't in the mood for little s*** like you at the mo." Katie pushed him angrily:
"What the hell has got into you? I'm enjoying myself."

As they argued, neither of them saw Ben get up, a vacant smile on his luscious face, and walk serenely towards the front hall and out of the door. The evening air was thick with the sweet smell of lilac and dew, yet Ben sensed nothing other than a feeling of supreme bliss. He unconsciously took out of his pocket a tin whistle, that the man in Mc Donalds had given to him. Putting it to his lips he began to play a strange, meandering, mournful tune.
Slowly, almost silently, the creature lifted its head out of the water. The sound of the party thundered through its head, increasing the craving for blood.... and for fresh, tender, youthful flesh. It heard the sound of the whistle, calling it to feed, promising a feast.....

As Ben played the strange tune he was oblivious to a car pulling up. Out stepped Corinne Shaw ,Paul Farraday and Shakey Jake Reynolds of Operation Delta. Corinne strode up to Ben:
"Hello Ben. We got here as soon as we could. Kyle seemed really worried on the phone. Ben? Ben?"
"Hey babe he's like in a trance. Wow. Far out. Thats some heavy grass he's on" Jake said. Corinne frowned:
"Don't talk rubbish Jake. Ben does not smoke cannabis. Look at him, its as if he's in an hypnotic trance."
"I'll find Kyle and Katie" Paul shouted, running into the house. He found them still arguing and pulled Kyle to one side.
"Kyle Ben is outside and he's in some kind of delusional state".
Suddenly there was a loud animalistic roaring from outside. Kyle looked around and grabbed an old antique sword that was hanging over the fireplace and they rushed outside. They froze in horror as they saw a large reptilian creature moving out of the trees towards them, dripping water and mud off its green scales. A strange smell emenated from it like rotten fish and putrifying faeces. Corinne almost fainted from the smell as Ben continued to play the whistle. Kyle ran over to him and grabbed the whistle, throwing it into the bushes:
"Ere snap out of it Ben. That things camin.'"

Throwing away the whistle broke the hypnotic suggestion controlling Ben and he sank to his knees, confused.
"Where the hell am I... whats happened."
As he spoke the creature rushed towards them and Kyle just managed to pull ben out of the way. The creature rushed through the open door of the house and a fearful screaming started from inside, along with grunting and thrashing. Ben came to his senses and reaching into himself found an inner strength. He grabbed the sword from Kyle and rushed inside the house. An horrific scene awaited: bits of severed body were strewn around the hallway as teenagers screamed and cowered. Suddenly the creature stopped and turned towards Ben, its cold deathy eyes upon him........

...........to be continued.

sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm actually relieved to find that something was causing the uncharacteristically strange behaviour of Ben's gang.
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm

OK folks, here is part 6 of this superlative journey into mystery:

"DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR": Part 6

Ben stared into the creature's cold, deathly eyes and a strange, deeply embedded race memory emerged from the misty recesses of his unconscious mind. With an almost unnatural strength he lept forward and raised the sword high:
"In the name of Woden, Tiw and Thor I slay thee beast of death!"
Ben swung the sword as the creature lunged towards him and the sharp blade sliced through its green neck and severed the head. Blood cascaded out in a fountain and splattered the walls as the creature writhed in its horrific death throes before lying still. Ben dropped the sword and collapsed just as Kyle, Katie and Jake ran in.
"Ere Ben...you ok?" Kyle shouted, cradling his friend's head.
"You do ask some dumb questions, of course he's not ok" Katie shouted.
Ben mumbled something, regaining consciousness.
"Hey guys like far out. Ben did it, the creature's dead man. But hey wasn't there another way than like heavy violence? Such a drag" Jake exclaimed.
"Shut it hippy" Katie corrected. Ben slowly sat up:
"When I stared into the dragon's eye.... it was as if I remembered something long buried inside my mind. As if I'd seen the creature before."
"What the hell is the thing? Is it alien?" Katie demanded.
"I.... I just don't know. We need to do some research on this guys. I'll photograph the corpse and send the pic to the Doctor. He will use the TARDIS database to identify it and text me back. Meanwhile we will pay a visit to the Library of Mythological Studies in Fitzgibbon College.

Some time later, having texted UNIT to get them to clear up the corpse of the creature and pay the teenagers to keep their mouths shut so as not to alarm the public, Ben and the others arrived at the Library of Mythological Studies. Jake was a friend of the librarian, Professor Peregrine Took a long haired middle aged man in a tweed jacket and a stripey shirt.
"Hey good to see you man *shaking Jake's hand* and who you got here in your posse?"
"Hey Tooky man, long time no see.This is my heavy crew man, my heavy crew." Katie was annoyed:
"Look we arn't here to listen to you two spouting drugged up greetings. What do you know about dragons?" Professor Took grinned:
"Hey chick I like your style. Dragons you say? We've got a whole section on dragons." Ben interjected:
"Look can you explain to us the basics of dragons as they appear in anglo-saxon mythology? When I was facing that creature earlier its as if a deeply embedded folk-memory emerged from my subconscious." Took suddenly looked serious:
"Hey man, that sounds like a transcendental cognitive implant".
"A what?" Ben asked.
"In many cultures it is believed that a traumatic or ecstatic experience can leave an impact in the mind that is passed on through the generations in the unconscious part of the brain and can resurface when needed. The celts called it 'Averanth' and the norsemen 'Halzibor'." Ben flicked his golden hair out of his dreamboat eyes and had a Fox's Glacier Mint to help him think.
"Hmmm. That implies that these creatures have been here before and carried out similar massacres of teenagers long ago in the anglo-saxon period. Being of high quality anglo-saxon stock, I carry the folk memory. " Professor Took laughed:
"Hey man, you ever read Beowulf?" Ben frowned:
"Er no. Obviously I have heard of this classic anglo-saxon heroic poem, however I have never perchanced to read it. I am aware that there is a dragon called Grendel in it." Took grinned:
"Yeah man and an even bigger dragon called Grendel's mother. Beowulf killed the dragon Grendel who used to prey on young people when their groovy parties got too loud and raised its bloodlust. However Grendel's mother then came searching for revenge......"
Kyle looked concerned:
"Ere that means that there might be another of them things out there. And UNIT are there , loads of 'em." Ben frowned:
"We must warn them immediately and go back to help. Or there could be a bloodbath of UNIT troops.........

..............to be continued.

sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Ok folks, here is the gripping seventh part of this story:

"DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR" Part 7

Ben drove fast through the English countryside is a desperate bid to assist UNIT before it was too late. Having phoned them on his I-Phone he had learned the shocking news that another large creature had emerged from the swamp and was attacking the house. The warm country breeze blew through Ben's hair and he tossed it casually to one side in a move of unconscious refinement. As they drove up the large driveway to the country mansion three armed men in uniforms stood in front of them. Ben stopped the car:
"We are Operation Delta and I'm Ben Chatham. We came as soon as we could to assist."
An armed man grinned:
"Your services will not be required. Please leave". Katie Ryan frowned:
"You're not UNIT troops. Those uniforms are more like something out of Northern Ireland. Who the hell are you?"
The armed man pointed a handgun at her:
"You will exit the vehicle and come with us."

Ben, Katie and Kyle got out of the car and were led through some bushes and undergrowth to a summerhouse in the grounds of the main mansion. There a man sat drinking Champagne and eating dinner from a silver plate. Ben recognised him as the man from the McDonalds.
"Ah, its Mr Chatham and his colleagues. Welcome. Do sit down and join me in a glass of champagne. I'm sure you will find the setting more discerning than the location of our last encounter."
"Who are you? Why did you play tricks with my mind" Ben asked angrily. The man laughed.
"My name is Kerrigan. Professor Eustace Kerrigan".
"I've never heard of you so you can't be very well known" Ben stated, sipping the champagne.
"I think that you will find that I am very well known in certain circles. I have published several works on mythology and the anglo-saxons." Katie Ryan scowled:
"I've heard of you. Your books are both boring and a pile of tripe. I am an archaeologist and your views about dragon lore being the main driving force behind ship burials are just plain wrong."
Kerrigan laughed:
"Miss Ryan isn't it? I very much doubt that you have the experience or knowledge to evaluate my interpretations. You strike me as a classic case of nice cover, nothing much inside."
Kyle looked angrily at Kerrigan:
"All I wanna know is why you are lettin' the UNIT guys get killed by that thing. I'll bet its an alien."
"That 'thing' as you crudely put it is Iastoroth, the sacred mother of Grendel. It is our most sacred belief that the great dragons are the life force that keeps the earth from disintegrating. Your colleague here Mr Chatham has killed Grendel, a creature that has lived for thousands of years. This crime must be avenged in blood."
Ben frowned:
"You are clearly insane and also part of some quasi-religious organisation".
"We are the Children of Rarn. Sacred order of the dragon keepers." Kyle pushed over the champagne bottle:
"I don't care about your beliefs an stuff but I ain't just lettin' you sit there smug when UNIT blokes are being killed by that thing".
Two armed men grab him and one knees him in the groin.
"You have no choice.".
"What are you going to do with us Kerrigan?" Ben asked.
"You have committed the ultimate sin and will recieve the ultimate penalty. Tonight the Children of Rarn will gather and you three will be tied to a tree in the gardens out there. Iastoroth will not be merciful. Your deaths will be slow, agonising and long drawn out.........

............. to be continued.

Read more: http://sparacus.freeforums.net/index.cgi?action=display&board=fiction&thread=25&page=2#ixzz27z18e3if
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Like this. Is the product placement deliberate?
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:51 am

Aspadistra wrote:Like this. Is the product placement deliberate?

Product placement???
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:52 am

Ok people: Here is the exciting and much anticipated conclusion to this tale:

DRAGON'S EAR & DRUID'S SPEAR: Part 8

Some time later, Ben, Kyle, Katie and several UNIT soldiers are tied to trees. Kerrigan and his followers, all wearing red robes with hoods, walk around chanting and sipping mead from golden goblets. Out on the garden a large couldren has been set up over a fire. Large amounts of unrefined cannabis smoulder in it so that the fumes fill the air.
"Iastoroth, Iastoroth,
Accept our sacrifice,
We are the Children of Rarn,
Keepers of the transcendental door to the otherworld...." Kerrigan chants. Katie scowls:
"What is that nutter on about?"
"Its just a load of mystical bullshit like" Kyle answers,
"'owever their dragon thing will 'ave to wait for its supper... Hah!"
The rope holding Kyle to the tree splits and falls and Kyle holds up his hands, grinning.
"How on earth did you wriggle free?" Ben asked him, perplexed.
"I keeps a razor blade stitched into me shirt cuffs for just this kinda situation like" Kyle answered with a cheeky smile. Ben looked at the sky.
"I might have guessed. One does associate you with razor blades and knives. Still its all to our advantage. Cut me and Katie free before those oddballs notice us."

The Children of Rarn are too wrapped up in their chanting to notice Kyle cutting Ben, Katie and the UNIT soldiers free, however eventually Kerrigan looks up to see Kyle cutting the rope of the last UNIT soldier.
"Behold, the sacrifices have escaped. Rebound them bretheren!" he shouts. However, before they have time to move, a car screeches up the drive and comes to a halt next to the couldren. It is Shakey Jake, Corinne Shaw and Paul Farraday".
"Hey wow man, thats some cool grass you got in there man" Jake shouts at Kerrigan while Paul Farraday pulls out a handgun and fires a shot in the air:
"OK you lot, stay where you are. This ends now. We have UNIT reinforcements arriving as we speak" he shouted.
Suddenly there is a roar from the woods and the sound of a creature approaching.
"Iastoroth, Iastoroth,
Lord of scales and breath of fire..." Kerrigan chants, getting down on his knees. As the creature appears, Ben pulls out his phone, takes a pic and texts it to the TARDIS database. An instant reply comes:
"According to the database, this creature is an Oxanoid from planet Lethalia. By activating a special app on my phone, I can communicate with it".
Ben holds up the phone and his voice is converted into a series of grunts. The creature stops and grunts back.
"What the hell is the thing saying?" Katie demands.
"It says that long ago it, and its son, were being transported to an illegal intergalactic zoo by Zeptanoid space pirates. While they landed on earth to check the fauna here, they escaped. All they have longed for it to go home, they kill humans only to eat."
"Thats all very well Ben but it doesn't alter the fact that we are on the supper menu" Katie states. Ben however pushes some buttons on his phone and the creature vanishes.
"Ere 'ow did that 'appen?" Kyle asks. Ben smiles elegantly:
"Its my new app. It can beam creatures back to their place of origin, as long as they want to go. The Doctor set it up for me."

Later the UNIT reinforcements have taken Kerrigan and his group away and Ben & his team were enjoying a relaxing drink in the local pub, the Swan & Fiddler.
"hey man, hows your wife doing. Cute chick man" Jake asks.
Ben sips his double absinthe and scowls:
"I really couldn't care Jake. "
"Hey man, no meaness, no meaness"Jake replied. Katie frowned at him:
"Oh shut your hippy nonsense Jake. *to Ben* I knew you'd soon tire of that shallow little cow".
"So did I Ben. You were a fool to marry her in my view" Corinne Shaw added. Ben stared at his glass, tears forming in his eyes:
"My father forced me to get married. I know I'm with a really boring woman but I stick with it out of social conformity. I don't like talking about it. My life is a complete mess......."

........the end.

sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down