Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sting and The Police

3 posters

Go down

Sting and The Police Empty Sting and The Police

Post by sheringham Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:08 am

OK. Deep breaths. Please can this not be a thread where everyone just comes to slag off Sting and laugh at me? Also - can we not see that horrible 'no lutes' picture that some people think is so witty?

Am I genuinely the only person in the whole of fandom who likes Sting and The Police? I mean - the band is one of the most successful and highly regarded bands of all time. Sting himself is a mega mega star. It's not a coincidence or an accident - millions of people round the world love his music. Is there really no-one else in fandom apart from me who likes him/them??????????????

I have seen Sting live on every single tour he has ever done that has come to the UK apart from the Brand New Day tour which I did have a ticket for but unfortunately the ticket was for the day before Joey was scheduled to be born and hubby wouldn't let me travel to London. No Sad As it happens, I have seen an awful lot of bands/artistes live - there was a 10 year period where I was going to several gigs a week. There have been shows I have seen which I have thought were better than the Sting shows I have been to (not many. But some. Barbra. A few of the PSB shows. Earth Wind and Fire. Stevie in 1989) but for sheer consistency, throughout a 22 year period in which I have seen him performing, Sting has to be the overall best performer I have ever seen. He has an amazing stage presence, his voice is still great, he works so hard, he surrounds himself with good musicians and lets them shine...............

But it isn't his excellence as a live performer which has made me the fan I am - it's his powers as a song writer. My own particular favourites include:
1. every little thing...
2. Let your soul be your pilot
3. Fragile
4. Message in a bottle
5. Every breath you take
6. If you love somebody set them free
7 Brand new day
8 Like a beautiful smile
9 We'll be together
10 I was brought to my senses
11 If I ever lose my faith in you

Seeing the police last year was one of the pinnacles of my concert going life - I was too young to have seen them when they split up in 83 so being able to see them last year was a massive deal for me - and they didn't disappoint. I do think I prefer Stings solo stuff though. I even like the lute album (although I would really, given my interest in early music).

So - am I really the only person who likes Sting and The Police here?
sheringham
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Sting and The Police Empty Re: Sting and The Police

Post by Patrick Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:06 am

YANA.

The Police are my favorite band from the 80s. And, for the most part, Sting's solo work contains a number of my favorites. My personal favorites, in no particular order:

Truth Hits Everybody
So Lonely
Be My Girl Sally
Message in a Bottle
Regatta De Blanc
Don't Stand So Close To Me (original, rather than the '86 remake)
Canary In A Coalmine
De Do Ddo Do, De Da Da Da
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
I Burn For You
Synchronicity I
Every Breath You Take
King of Pain
Tea In The Sahara
If You Love Somebody Set Them Free
Moon Over Bourbon Street
Fortress Around Your Heart
Englishman in New York

I could go on, but you get the idea. And, for adding to the 'jazz' thread, I think a lot of the stuff on the "Bring On The Night- Live" album is genius.
Very Happy
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Sting and The Police Person10

Sting and The Police Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by sheringham Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:30 am

Yes, I love the contributions of Branford Marsalis particularly. The 'When the world is running down....' 12 minute (or however long it is) jam is a-maz-ing.
sheringham
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 am

I also like sting and the Police - as well as being as you say consistently good, they are part of my teenage/ young adult years. flower
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Awards : Sting and The Police Poster10
Sting and The Police Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:17 am

*Waves to Jenny*

sheringham wrote:Yes, I love the contributions of Branford Marsalis particularly. The 'When the world is running down....' 12 minute (or however long it is) jam is a-maz-ing.

And then on Disc 2, there's that 11 minute montage of One World/Love Is the 7th Wave with that cool reggae rhythm going. I think Bring On The Night Live is one of my all time favorite CD's ever, let alone the best live album.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Sting and The Police Person10

Sting and The Police Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down