Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate the wilderness years spinoff media

4 posters

Go down

What spinoff media did you like?

Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_left30%Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_right 30% 
[ 8 ]
Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_left26%Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_right 26% 
[ 7 ]
Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_left26%Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_right 26% 
[ 7 ]
Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_left11%Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_right 11% 
[ 3 ]
Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_left7%Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_right 7% 
[ 2 ]
Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_left0%Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 27

Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Empty Rate the wilderness years spinoff media

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 am

What spinoff media did you like? (Multiple choice poll)

Last edited by Johnstone on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Empty Re: Rate the wilderness years spinoff media

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:16 am

Never was a huge fan of the Virgin novels. (Although isolated entries were individually excellent).
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Poster10
Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Rate the wilderness years spinoff media Empty Re: Rate the wilderness years spinoff media

Post by Dave Webb Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:40 pm

You get to cherry pick the NAs though, since they all pretty much stand up as individual stories. The BBC novels were much more hit and miss. For example, I could well have done without the massive and overcomplicated Interference and Ancestor Cell which were OK, but annoying.

And the BBC novels made the cardinal error of making the Doctor Jack the Ripper, which narked me so much I stopped reading them. To put this in context, I was getting them free at the time and reading them on behalf of a mate who was supposed to be reading them all and then basing the purchasing strategy of quite a large chain store on my (and other people's) comments. I turned down free books.

I must have been insane.

Anyway, I think the NAs were more consistently good - The Pit and maybe Lungbarrow being the exceptions - than the Beeb novels.

The Big Finish range amused me greatly. All of the stories that fandom loved, like The Holy Terror, I hated. It also started out relatively inconsistently and then got an awful lot stronger very quickly. There are some simply superb stories in the range, some outstanding performances and some really neat ideas.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Winterton Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm

I read and enjoyed a number of the Virgin and BBC novels, but mainly fed my habit via Big Finish - from 1999 to 2005 I was a regular attender of BF signings at the late-lamented 10th Planet in Barking. Although, as with everything else in life, the quality of the range varied, quite a few BFs were excellent in my view.

John
John Winterton
John Winterton
Youngster

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:40 am

This was also a big time for fan projects and stuff that could have sort of been Doctor Who.

I for one know very little about some of this stuff. Would anyone care to comment on things like The Stranger, etc?
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Dave Webb wrote:This was also a big time for fan projects and stuff that could have sort of been Doctor Who.

I for one know very little about some of this stuff. Would anyone care to comment on things like The Stranger, etc?
The Stranger began as a very thinly disguised Who continuation and slowly evolved into a bleak, near Sapphire and Steel drama. It was resolutely low budget but ultimately a brave attempt. I'd recommend it if ever you come across it - as I said, especially the later entries in the series.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down