Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outcasts : BBC SF

+5
Nick Barlow
Patrick
Rich Flair
Sid Seadevil
The Browncoat Cat
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Outcasts : BBC SF - Page 3 Empty Re: Outcasts : BBC SF

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 am

While Richards himself continues to make an ass of himself by vigorously defending his brainchild against all criticism. Sometimes you just have to know when to step back and admit that you're the one who is wrong. Richard's has yet to learn this lesson it appears.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Outcasts : BBC SF - Page 3 Poster10
Outcasts : BBC SF - Page 3 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 am

Didn't he also make a tit of himself with Spooks: Code Red?
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Didn't he also make a tit of himself with Spooks: Code Red?
Yes he did. Proving beyond any reasonable doubt that the an is incapable of learning from his past mistakes.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:42 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Indeed. Oh and sad news for Browncoat Cat. It's almost certain that the final episode ends on a massive cliffhanger. One that's never going to be resolved now.
Episode #8, and the conclusion of the series. As Sid predicted, it ended on a massive cliff hanger that will now never be resolved. Which is a bit crap really. Not surprising considering that this badly paced and disjointed episode was written by Ben Richards.
  • Fleur being an AC, where the hell did that come from? I wonder how long she will be able to stand living in the Stone Age with Freddy Flintstone Rudy and the other AC's. Not very long I think, but now we will never know.
  • The Host sending DNA messages to what I think are nanobots s that look like virus so the nanobots know who to attack. Nice idea, badly explained. When Ison said the code was DNA, I went "Well d'uh".
  • So Berger finally gets what is coming to him.
  • You just knew that Tipper wasn't going to die, he is one of the special people now.
  • I love the idea that instead of calmly walking into Forthaven, taking over and wiping out the XPs after their return from a wild goose change, the troops aboard that transporter now face opposition. The now very p***ed off and heavily tooled up XPs should be able to cordon off the transporter and stop any armed personnel leaving. As those ships seem to be one way only, I can't see there being many supplies left on board. All Tate and crew have to do is starve them into submission.
  • Have the indigenous host creatures decided to ignore all the Humans?

So a series full of interesting ideas so badly handled by Ben Richards draws to a close, all I can say is that it was a wasted opportunity.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Some thoughts on Outcasts (and a bit on The Event) from SF author Ken MacLeod
Outcasts, now mercy-killed after its first series - eight episodes that felt like sixteen - collapsed across the finishing line, had a lot going for it. The CGI was competent. The South African landscape was unfamiliar enough to most viewers, and spectacular enough in its own right, to stand in for an alien Earth-like world. The sets had moments and angles of promise. The lead actors were in their different ways good-looking. Some of them had been successful in other roles.

All that was wrong with it was the script. Clunky dialogue, kitchen-sink drama instead of plot, every character with a back-story like a tin can tied to a cat's tail. Every time something interesting threatened to happen, the kitchen sink got heaved at it. The extras were never seen doing anything that made you feel you were looking at a living community. They either walked briskly from place to place or gathered in front of the public telescreens whenever something had to be announced. The lead actors' talents were squandered on sub-EastEnders scenes with more Scottish accents. This was the BBC doing science fiction without the science fiction. Its ratings collapse and near-universal panning will probably convince the BBC not to risk doing SF again for a very long time.

Good.

One day later, relief: the second series of The Event has begun on C4! Already I'm rooting for the leader of the 'evil' faction of the aliens. At least, I am when I'm not wondering why, when the aliens crashed and were captured back in the late 1940s, the US government didn't follow the SOP for First Contact that worked so well at Roswell:

Kill and dissect. It's the only way to be sure.
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content