Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin'

+12
Nick Barlow
Aspadistra
Rich Flair
Patrick
barnaby morbius
Frank
Zoltar
Colin Hicks
millerqueen
Lucy McGough
Sid Seadevil
The Co=Ordinator
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Empty C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin'

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 am

As threatened t'other day I'm going to start an Aladdin thread here on Outpost Wrinkly, which will give you lucky people all the low down as we head towards showtime. And the script of course as well.

So rehearsals started on 14th September, with show dates of 8th, 9th and 10th January 2009. This is the sixth year in a row that I've been involved in writing the annual panto for our merry band of players: the first was as co-author, the last five have been solo efforts. For the third time I'll also be Director.

Unlike last year's Puss In Boots, which was finished by the end of March, Aladdin took some 5 months to write – it was tough at times, but I got there in the end and thoroughly enjoyed using both plotting and dialogue to ensure that neither Wishee Washee nor The Flying Carpet appear. All will be revealed over the coming weeks as, following on from what I’ve done over the past few years, I post the show scene by scene.

We’ve had 2 or 3 regulars leave and several newcomers appear, including one who is RADA trained! All of which means that, at the moment anyhow, the cast is more 40 in number! :eek:. This has led to me doing some furious rewrites to increase the total number of speaking roles to 31, but enough is enough – no more!!!

Anyway here is the list of characters.

Speaking Roles in order of appearance

Abanazar, a Sorcerer (Villain)
Wun Hung Lo (Abanazar’s Stooge)
Commander Of The Guard
K’Anpo Rimpoche (Townsperson 1)
Hi Ho (Guard 1)
Ho Hum (Guard 2)
Cho-Je (Townsperson 2)
Fu Peng (Townsperson 3)
Ping Pong (Ragamuffin 1)
Dim Sum (Ragamuffin 2)
No Pah King (Ragamuffin 3)
Dum Gai (Ragamuffin 4)
Sum Ting Wong (Rafamuffin 5)
Mai Bee (Ragamuffin 6)
Aladdin (Hero – Principal Boy)
Princess Feng Shui (Heroine – Principal Girl)
Widow Twankey (Dame)
Alassout (Aladdin’s younger sister)
The Sultan of China
The Sultana of China
Lee Key (Tena Lady In Waiting to The Princess)
The Nabob of Namphilly
Nurse Tai-Rack (Palace first aid expert)
Grand Wazir Harbin
Dingbat (Harbin’s son)
Jeremy (Cameo)
Richard (Cameo)
James (Cameo)
The Slave of the Ring
The Genie of the Lamp
The Fakir (Cameo)

Non-Speaking Roles

Townspeople
Guards
Palace Children
The Seven Frails (Dancers)
Singers

And here are a couple of our backcloths.

A square in old Peking.

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' M_401_backcloth

I'll get the scenes *update to date* in the next 24 hours or so. Hopefully I'll also have some *exciting* news to tell you tomorrow. Well, exciting for Holy Cross Players anyway!!

The Sultan's Palace.

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' M_379_backcloth
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Person10
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Empty Re: C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin'

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 am

ACT ONE

Scene One

House lights down. The Overture, “Journey of the Sorcerer” is played by The Band. At its conclusion, tabs out to show the desert scrim. There is a bright flash, lights up slightly (suggesting evening) to reveal Abanazar front of stage. Totally self-confident, he believes he is master of all he surveys and starts talking arrogantly to the audience.

Abanazar: My name is Abanazar and my reputation spreads far and wide, for I am the Finest Sorcerer in all of Arabia. Oh yes I am etc, etc (Audience Interaction). You horrible peasants I can see we’re not going to get on are we?

I have recently learned of a secret cave in far away China that contains the greatest treasures in the all the world, including a fabled Magic Lamp. Unfortunately my readings have also told me that fate has decreed only one person may open the cave. He is a wretched ragamuffin who goes by the name of Aladdin. (Encourage further audience response). Yes, I suppose you would empathise with him, wouldn’t you lowlifes? Anyway, together with my trusted servant Wun Hung Lo, I have a journey to begin, for this boy lives in old Peking, and I have to travel there to find, and use, him. Hahahahaha. (To wings) Come here Wun Hung and introduce yourself.

Wun Hung Lo enters stage left and slowly moves across to join Abanazar. He projects a somewhat creepy crawly image.

Wun Hung: Hello Master. (Turns to audience) Hello audience. (Holds nose) My, you’re a smelly bunch we’ve got in tonight! (Encourage audience to boo etc)

Abanazar: (Putting his arm around Wung Hung’s shoulder) A very shrewd observation there my faithful servant.

Wun Hung: Thank you Master. Where are we off to?

Abanazar: We are to journey to China, Wun Hung, for what will prove to be my greatest ever triumph. Bwahahaha. I’m going to enjoy this so much – whatever else you may do, don’t stop me now. (Cue music)

SONG – DON’T STOP ME NOW

Tonight I’m gonna have myself a real good time, I feel alive.
And the world turning inside out yeah!
And floating around in ecstasy.
So don’t stop me now, don’t stop me,
Cos I’m having a good time, having a good time.

Flash, then lights up full. Abanazar to flamboyantly discard his black cape

I’m a shooting star leaping through the sky,
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity.
I’m a flying carpet passing by like Lady Godiva,
I’m gonna go, go, go, there’s no stopping me.

I’m burning through the sky yeah!
Two hundred degrees,
That’s why they call me Mister Fahrenheit.
I’m travelling at the speed of light,
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you.

(Don’t stop me now),
I’m having such a good time, I’m having a ball,
(Don’t stop me now),
If you wanna have a good time just give me a call.
(Don’t stop me now),
Cause I’m having a good time.
(Don’t stop me now)
Yes I’m having a good time, I don’t want to stop at all.

I’m a rocket ship on my way to Mars on a collision course,
I’m a satellite, I’m out of control.
I’m a sorcerer ready to reload,
Like an atom bomb about to
Oh oh oh oh oh explode.

I’m burning through the sky yeah!
Two hundred degrees,
That’s why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I’m travelling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic woman of you.

(Don’t stop me now),
I’m having such a good time, I’m having a ball,
(Don’t stop me now),
If you wanna have a good time just give me a call.
(Don’t stop me now),
Cause I’m having a good time.
(Don’t stop me now)
Yes I’m having a good time, I don’t want to stop at all.

Blackout.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 am

Scene Two

Desert Scrim out to reveal the Market Square. Stalls are in place. Lights up to reveal citizens of Old Peking milling around, going about their business. Suddenly a commotion breaks out at the rear of the auditorium. House lights up slightly to reveal Aladdin and the ragamuffins. They run down through the audience with the follow spot on them. As they reach the front, Guards enter the auditorium. The ragamuffins ‘hide’ behind the front row of seats. Slowly the guards move through the audience, quizzing selected people as to whether or not they’ve seen the kids.

Finally Aladdin, followed by his chums, makes a break and all clamber up on stage, hiding behind the stalls, covered for by the citizens. The Guards follow close behind, arrive onstage and search for their prey. Unable to find them they start questioning the citizens.

Commander: Come on you lot, they must be around here somewhere.

K’anpo: Who, what, when, where, how?

Hi Ho: You know what the Boss means.

Ho Hum: Yeah, don’t treat us like fools.

Cho Je: (Sarcastically) Honestly, how on earth could we do that?

Fu Peng: Yeah, what with you being The Sultan’s renowned “crack squad”.

K’anpo: Sorry, did you say crack?

Cho Je: Yes, why what else did you think it could have been?

Fu Peng: I have a feeling that K’anpo doesn’t think they’re very good.

Commander: Enough of this nonsense serfs!

Hi Ho: (To citizens) Yeah, it’s about time you started co-operating.

Ho Hum: (Pointing at audience) As indeed should you lot! (audience interaction)

Commander : Indeed. May I just point out Ladies, Gentlemen, and variations thereupon, that we are acting on the authority of His Supreme Imperialness The Sultan of China in trying to track down and apprehend the troublesome yoof of Old Peking. If any of you present here today have information as to the whereabouts of the aforementioned persons, viz a viz Aladdin and his mates, you are required to report it to myself or one of my guards, right here, right now! (audience interaction).

Hi Ho: Yeah, spill the beans peasants.

Ho Hum: And be warned, we’ll take down whatever you say!

K’anpo: Knickers!

Commander: (Looking around) You what?

Cho Je: She said, knickers!!

Guards make as if to remove their trousers. The Commander quickly intervenes.

Commander: Oi, stop that at once.

Guards: Yes Boss.

Commander: Right, we’d better find out who said that. Let’s have the house lights up.

House lights up. Citizens and Guards look into audience. After a short while,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Fu Peng: (Picking on one person) It was him/her!

Commander: Oh really? Right, come on, let’s go and sort out the miscreant. Guards move down into audience. Cut house lights. Ragamuffins (but not Aladdin) gingerly move out of their hiding places.

Ping Pong: Blimey, that was a close shave.

Dim Sum: Yeah, far too close for comfort.

No Pah King: Hey Aladdin, it’s safe to come out now.

K’Anpo: Yes come on, we can’t go on endlessly covering up for you lot.

Cho Je: It’s happening far too often. You can’t keep slip sliding away.

Fu Peng: Sooner or later it’ll be us that end up in trouble.

Aladdin: (Finally popping up from hiding place) I know, I know. Believe me, constantly being chased by the Sultan’s Guard is getting a bit wearing, and we’re really not the useless layabouts they make us out to be. Anyway, thanks everyone, we really do appreciate it. (To audience) And that includes you wonderful people out there!

Dum Gai: It sure does.

Sum Ting: Don’t you think it would make sense to introduce us to the audience?

Mai Bee: Yeah come on Aladdin!

Aladdin: All right, all right! Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls my name is Aladdin, elder child of Widow Twankey: and these are my mates. This (points to Ping Pong) is Ping Pong (bows) who’s very keen on our national sport of Table Tennis. This (points to Dim Sum) is Dim Sum (rubs stomach) who’s very keen on our traditional cuisine. This (points to No Pah King) is No Pah King (waves finger) who’s very keen on Fixed Penalty Notices. This (points to Dum Gai) is Dum Gai (scratches head) who’s not the brightest bulb in the lighting rig. This (points to Sum Ting) is Sum Ting Wrong (raises arms quizically) who’s a bit of a conspiracy theorist. And last, but by no means least, this (points to Mai Bee) is Mai Bee (scratches head) who used to be indecisive. But now she’s not so sure!

Suddenly a fanfare is heard. Surrounded by The Guards, Princess Feng Shui makes her way down through the audience (handing out sweets in the process) before going up the stairs at the side of the stage and out of sight. All on stage watch fascinated at the unexpected arrival of the Princess.

Aladdin: Blimey, who was that gorgeous creature?

K’anpo: Princess Feng Shui.

Aladdin: Who?

Cho Je: The Sultan’s daughter.

Fu Peng: She has been away for several years whilst undertaking her schooling in Nanchang.

Ping Pong: Well she’s obviously back now.

Dim Sum: All right for some isn’t it!

No Pah King: Fancy the audience getting sweets given out to them!

Aladdin: Yeah, the lucky so and so’s! But more importantly gang, the Princess is amazing. She’s fantastic. You know, I think I’m in love!

Dum Gai: Well you’d better get out of it pretty quick!

Sum Ting: Like the Sultan’s daughter is even going to look at you.

Mai Bee: Dream on Al, dream on!

Aladdin: Well maybe I will. Anyway, what’s wrong with dreaming? (Motioning to all the ragamuffins) We can’t spend the rest of our lives in trouble with The Guards, being chased all over Peking: even though we know they’re really just picking on us. I’m getting fed up with constantly having to hide away. There really has to be something better than this!

SONG – THERE’S GOTTA BE SOMETHING BETTER THAN THIS

Aladdin: There's gotta be something better than this,
There's gotta be something better to do.
And when I find me something better to do,
I'm gonna get up, I'm gonna get out
I'm gonna get up, get out and do it!

Solo 2: There's gotta be some respectable trade,
There's gotta be something easy to learn.
And if I find me something I halfwit can learn,
I'm gonna get up, get out and learn it!

Solo 3: All these jokers, how I hate them,
With their groping, grabbing, clutching, clinching,
Strangling, handling, bumbling, pinching.

All: There's gotta be some life cleaner than this,
There's gotta be some good reason to live.
And when I find me some kind of life I can live,
I'm gonna get up, I'm gonna get out,
I'm gonna get up, get out and live it!

All: There's gotta be something better than this,
There's gotta be something better to do.
And when I find me something better to do,
I'm gonna get up, get out and do it!

All: There's gotta be some life cleaner than this
There's gotta be some good reason to live
And when I find me some kind of life I can live
I'm gonna get up...
I'm gonna get out...
I'm gonna get up, get out and live.
LIVE IT!

Blackout. Tabs In.

A relatively normal plot setting scene, complete with audience interaction, handing out of sweeties and song and dance number - this year from "Sweet Charity". And a couple of character names from Planet of the Spiders. Wink Although I have to say that, in comparison to Puss In Boots, Aladdin is actually Doctor Who-lite. Very Happy
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 am

By the way tickets are now on sale. I know a few of you good folk have expressed an interest in coming to watch the show. It would be great if a "Wrinklies Night Out" could take place, though I fully understand if it doesn't happen. Tickets prices are from £5.50 to £7.50, so even in these tricky times, hopefully it won't break the bank!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:09 am

Oh, wonderful work. Bring on the rest, say I!
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Poster10
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:11 am

Scene Three

Tabs out to reveal the House, adorned with a table and chairs. On the table is a trophy. Using large feather dusters, Widow Twankey and Alassout are busy cleaning. Initially they do not see the audience.

Twankey: Come on Alassout, let’s get a move on.

Alassout: (Exhausted) I’m doing my best Mum, honest!

Twankey: (Reassuringly towards Alassout) I know you are my dear, I know (pats Alassout’s head). Would that your brother put in even a tiny fraction of the effort you do: he goes around like the boy in the bubble. (Twankey suddenly notices the audience and walks towards front of stage). Oh hello everyone, I’m so sorry we didn’t see you there. Look Alassout, it’s another audience.

Alassout: (Turning round and also moving forward) Blimey. Why is it that we never seem to finish cleaning the house before the script reaches our opening scene?

Twankey: I blame that Jordan fellow myself. (To audience) Anyway, allow me to introduce us. I am Widow Twankey, and this fine young lady is my daughter Alassout. My pride and joy she is, honestly I’d be lost without her. Unlike that useless layabout son of mine. Have you met him yet? Goes by the name of Aladdin. (Audience interaction) Did he? Really? Blimey with both hands? (etc, etc). Well would you believe it, here he comes now!

Aladdin enters stage right.

Aladdin: Hi Mum, Hi Sis. (To Audience) Hiya Gang! (Audience interaction)

Twankey: Don’t waste your time with him boys and girls.

Aladdin: Oh come on Mum, that’s not fair. Is it Alassout?

Alassout: Well, when did you last do any of the cleaning or polishing? Look at poor Mum. (Twankey to try and get audience sympathy). Apart from what she does here, to keep us going Mum has to work her socks off cleaning some of the largest houses in Peking.

Twankey: Indeed I do Alassout. And do y’know what, one of the properties can be a little daunting as it has a labarinthine maze of dusty rooms. Fortunately the three kindly old men who live there know their way around, and provide me with very accurate maps. It's always a relief to know they're going to offer me good solid directions, which they prepare by hand before waving them under my nose.

Aladdin: (Contrite) Fair enough. Look I know I’ve said this in the past and never actually done anything about it, but from now on I’m going to turn over a new leaf.

Twankey: Oh really? And why should we believe you this time?

Aladdin: I tell you why. First of all, me and the gang are fed up with being chased around by The Guards. I know we don’t do much, but honestly we’re really not as bad as they make us out to be. And I’ll tell you something else.

Alassout: Go on then.

Aladdin: What it is. (Coyly) I’mmmmmm………

Twankey: Come on lad, spit it out.

Aladdin: Well, I’m in love.

Alassout: Blimey – who with?

Aladdin: Princess Feng Shui. She’s gorgeous, she’s fantastic, she’s –

Twankey: (Interrupting) The Sultan and Sultana’s daughter, and by definition 100% indubitably, totally and utterly out of your reach.

Aladdin: Oh come on Mum, I can dream. Can’t I audience?

Twankey Oh no he can’t. (Audience interaction).

Aladdin: But you should have seen her, when she came through the Square earlier on. Mark my words, one of these days I’m going to marry Feng Shui.

Alassout: Bruv, it’s more likely that………………….. (topical gag to be used here)

Aladdin: Oh no it isn’t!

Alassout &
Twankey: Oh yes it is! (Audience interaction)

Twankey: Enough of this nonsense! Alassout, did you manage to polish my Trophy?

Alassout: (Handing trophy to Twankey) Of course Mum, I know it’s you pride and joy!

Twankey: (Cradling the trophy with pride and joy) Thanks me dear!

Aladdin: Do you think it might help the audience if you explain what the trophy is for?

Twankey: Actually, that’s a very good idea Aladdin. (Turns to audience) There might yet be hope for the boy! 20 years ago, I won the “Longest Legs in Peking” Trophy. (Audience interaction) As the competition was sponsored by Persil I ended up being in great demand for launderette work. Indeed I became very busy opening them several times a day, which is why I’ve now given up that line of business. That also explains why Wishee Washee isn’t in the panto!

Anyway, enough of this, we’ve got work to do. (Grabs Aladdin by the collar) And that includes you Son. So we’ll see you later. Bye everyone!! (All three wave to audience)

Blackout. Tabs In.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 am

Scene Four

Tabs out - The Palace. This is an elegant set, ornately decorated. The Sultan and Sultana are ensconsed on their thrones, the Princess standing beside her father. The following pairs are talking stage whispers are various points on stage. Tena Lady Lee Key and The Nabob of Namphilly: The Commander of the Guard and Nurse Tai-Rack: The Grand Wazir and Dingbat. In time, each pair will move forward to deliver their dialogue centre stage front, with follow spot on them, whilst the others move round..

Sultan: (To The Princess) Oh, the politics of Ancient China weigh heavily upon my shoulders. Did you know that I invited The Nabob of Namphilly here to help mend a governmental rift, as I was really getting fed up with having to use the escarator? Anyway, what’s the matter my child?

Feng Shui: Things round here are a bit boring.

Sultana: Please Feng Shui, such language from one so young!

Sultan: Worry not my dear, especially as we’ve only just had a mother and child reunion. Let us hear what our beloved daughter has to say.

Feng Shui: Well it was really exciting in Nanchung, and I had a great time, it was such a laugh. Whereas this lot (points around The Palace) are just sooooo dull.

Sultan: Dull? If there’s one thing they aren’t it’s dull, trust me.

Sultana: Yes indeed. Let us sit back for a short while and observe what occurs……….

The first pair, Lee Key and The Nabob, move forward.

Lee Key: Did you enjoy yourself at the dinner in your honour last night Nabob?

Nabob: Bono Estente. I most certainly did Lady Lee Key. It was wonderful to feel so welcome after a long journey. They don’t call me the Ban Ki-moon of Ancient China for nothing.

Lee Key: Javier Pérez de Cuéllar. U Thant.

Nabob: Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Chris Waddle.

Lee Key: (Licking finger) Scorchio!

Nabob: Anyway, I must say that you’re a charming young Lady. It was wonderful of the Sultan to instruct you to look after my every need.

Lee Key: (Coyly) Oh, I don’t know what to say. (Thinks) But as a Lady-in-Waiting that is what I am meant to do. Is there anything in particular that gave you pleasure last night?

Nabob: Overall there were three things. First of all your deportment: I found that beguiling. (Lee Key giggles) Next there was your charming manner: I found that almost irresistible. (Lee Key twirls) And last, but by no means least, I revelled in that wink you gave me at the end.

Lee Key and The Nabob move back as the next pair, Commander of the Guard and Nurse Tai Rack, move forward.

Commander: Nurse Tai Rack, I am in need of your expert medical advice.

Nurse: Oh dear me Commander, have you been in the wars again?

Commander: Not quite. It’s chasing all those ragamuffins around. They’re as slippery as eels don’t you know.

Nurse: So what exactly is the problem?

Commander: (Rubs arm) Well I’ve hurt my arm in several places.

Nurse: In which case may I suggest you don’t go there again.

Commander: Ah right. Thank you Tai Rack, I’d obviously be lost without your sound advice.

Commander of the Guard and Nurse Tai Rack move back as the final pair, Grand Wazir Harbin and Dingbat, move forward.

Dingbat: (Whining) Daaad, you said that when the Princess came back I’d have first refusal on her.

Wazir: Yes, I was true to my word. And she refused you!

Dingbat: That’s so unfair.

Wazir: Actually son, its more than reasonable. Why do you think your late Mother and I named you Dingbat?

Dingbat: Because there was already someone called Wally in the Palace? Anyway Dad, The Commander of the Guard told me that Tai Rack recently started keeping bees. Do you know if that is true?

Wazir: It certainly is. I believe that she already has more than three dozen, even though she’s still very much a beginner. Apparently The Commander is something of an expert apiculturist and he’s going to give Tai Rack a demonstration. I’m sure he’ll carefully take out her thirty eight bees and soon have them flying around his head.

Grand Wazir & Dingbat, move back. The focus switches again to the Sultan, Sultana and Princess.

Sultan: So my dear, do you still think that things around here are dull?

Feng Shui: (Giggling) No father. They’re all as mad as hatters.

Sultana: Feng Shui, please! By the way, did Dingbat really ask you out?

Feng Shui: Oh yes, and I told him where to go. There’s more chance of me marrying one of those ragamuffins we saw in the Market Square than him! (All three laugh)

Sultan: (Putting arm around Princess) That’s my girl. Dingbat by name, Dingbat by nature!

Sultana: Don’t you think that’s a bit harsh on the lad?

Sultan: Well – perhaps it is. Dingbat’s harmless enough and I know how much he’s been looking forward to Feng Shui coming home. Now I guess he’ll just turn to stone! (Cue Music)

SONG – TURN TO STONE

Feng Shui: The City streets are empty now,
All: The lights don’t shine no more,
Feng Shui: And so the songs are way down low,
All: Turning, turning.
Feng Shui: A sound that flows into my mind,
All: The echoes of the daylight,
Feng Shui: Of everything that is alive,
In my new world.

Dingbat : I turn to stone when you are gone, I turn to stone.
Turn to stone when you’re coming home, I can’t go on.

Feng Shui: The dying embers of the night,
All: A fire that slowly fades till dawn,
Feng Shui: Still glow upon the wall so bright,
All: Burning, burning.
Feng Shui: The tired streets that hide away,
All: From here to everywhere they go,
Feng Shui: Roll past my door into the day,
All: In my new world.

All: I turn to stone when you are gone, I turn to stone.
Turn to stone when you are gone, I turn to stone.

Dingbat: The dancing shadows on the wall,
All: The two-step in the hall,
Dingbat: Are all I see since you’ve been gone,
All: Turning, turning.
Dingbat: Through all I sit here and I wait,
All: I turn to stone, I turn to stone,
Dingbat: You will return again some day,
To my blue world.

All: I turn to stone when you are gone, I turn to stone.
Turn to stone when you are gone, I turn to stone.

Blackout. Tabs In.

The first of two ELO songs to feature in this year's show! Very Happy Twisted Evil

More to follow on the morrow.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05 am

Excellent so far.

Smile
Lucy McGough
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Awards : C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Poster10
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-09

http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:05 am

Scene Five

Tabs out, lights up. We are in the House. The table and chairs are still in place. Aladdin is slumped
in one of the chairs, apparently asleep.

Twankey: (From off stage). Aladdin, oh Aladdin. (After a brief pause Twankey enters stage left, sees Aladdin then moves forward to talk to the audience). So much for him turning over a new leaf. I’ll wake the little blighter up. (Walks up to Aladdin, bends down and then shouts loudly in his ear). ALADDIN!

Aladdin jumps up startled, then darts his gaze from side to side. Still not entirely sure of where he is, he starts talking nonsense.

Aladdin: No honest Commander, it wasn’t us, it was that other gang from down the road.

Twankey: What on earth are you going on about Son? It’s me, your adorable, (shake hips etc playing up to the audience) delectable, sophisticated Mother.

Aladdin: Eh, what? (Rubs eyes). Oh blimey, sorry Mum, I must have been having a nightmare.

Twankey: Well whatever you may, or may not, have been doing, it certainly wasn’t anything to do with cleaning the house.

Aladdin: Oh but Mum, I had been – honest. Infact, I worked so hard I wore myself out and must have fallen asleep. (To audience) Isn’t that right gang? (Audience interaction).

Twankey: Very well. Just make sure I don’t catch you sleeping on the job again! Now get yourself sorted – you have visitors.

Aladdin: Me? Blimey, who are they?

Twankey: I haven’t got the foggiest idea, but we’ll find out soon enough. Alassout is bringing them in right now.

Alassout enters stage right followed by Abanazar and Wun Hung Lo. Try to encourage audience to boo and jeer the new arrivals.

Alassout: Mum, these two gentlemen say they’re here to see Aladdin.

Twankey: Really? Do you have warrants for his arrest?

Abanazar: (Deferentially) Sorry good lady I know not what you speak about. (Rushes across to Aladdin). Oh my son. It is you!

Aladdin: You what?

Abanazar: I can see the similarity at once – isn’t that right Wun Hung?

Wun Hung: Indubitably Master.

Abanazar: Aladdin, do you not recognise me?

Twankey: (Interjecting) Oh goodness me, you’re not in trouble again are you?

Abanazar: No Madam, the opposite is true. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Abanazar, and together with my Manservant Wun Hung Lo (Wun Hung bows) I have travelled here from far, far away to find (points to Aladdin) this young fellow.

Twankey: Avabanana? Actually now you come to mention it, I am quite peckish.

Wun Hung: (Aside) I wouldn’t mind a nice pear.

Aabanazar: No Madam, I said my name is Abanazar.

Twankey: Oh alright then: let’s have the bad news – what do you want Aladdin for?

Abanazar: As I just said, it is not bad news. I only recently heard of the sad passing of my long lost brother. Struck down with grief and woe, I determined to find his son and heir so that we may be reconciled and that I may live up to the vow I made to my sibling decades ago.

Alassout: (Sarcastically) Well that’s nice. What about me?(Abanzar pushes her out of the way)

Wun Hung: (To Twankey) What my Master is saying is that he is your long lost brother-in-law.

Twankey
Alad, Alas: Yes and…………….

Wun Hung: (Sarcastically) He is uncle to you two gorgeous children.

Twankey
Alad, Alas: Yes and…………….

Wun Hung: He has come here to help you out in whatever way he may. Well you at least Aladdin!

Alassout: OK. How did you know where we live?

Abanazar: Why, we asked all over this great City, and eventually we were told by some good folks in the nearby Market Square.

Twankey: (Pushing forward) Excuse me. The late Mr. Twankey never mentioned anything about a brother.

Abanazar: Madam! (Looks Twankey up and down in horror).

Wun Hung: You could have fooled me.

Twankey: (Turning on Wun Hung) What did you say?

Abanazar: (Slaps Wun Hung) Nothing, my dear Lady. Unfortunately my faithful servant, though loyal in extremis, is prone to occasional bouts of tourette’s.

Aladdin: Well let’s just hope he keeps it under wraps for the rest of the show.

Twankey: Not to mention the tourette’s. Anyway, where were we?

Alassout: He (points at Abanazar) was about to talk a load of old baloney.

Abanazar: What a charming young lady you are. (Elbows Alassout on head – she reacts by rubbing it furiously. Abanazar then turns to Twankey). Anyway, as I was about to say, your late husband, my beloved brother, kept our blood bond to himself. But now I am here how can you doubt me? Can you not see that I am, indeed, your brother-in-law?

Twankey: (Shrugs shoulders, then speaks in a very common voice). Ain’t got a clue mate! (Turns to audience) What do you lot think? Should I believe him? (Audience interaction – they say no)

Abanazar: Don’t believe them Madam. Wun Hung and I worked out in the very opening scene that they (pointing at audience) are but a smelly, no good bunch of layabouts.

Wun Hung: Oh yes you are. (Audience interaction)

Aladdin: Who should we believe?

Alassout: Well I’m with the audience!

Twankey: Oh, I just don’t know……

Abanazar: Good Lady would this, perchance, help you decide? (Pulls several gold coins from a pouch).

Twankey: (Snatching coins) It most certainly would. (Plants a kiss on Abanazar’s cheek). My dear, long lost brother-in-law. (Grabs Abanzar and nestles him to her bosom). Welcome to the bosom of our family. (With Wun Hung’s help, Abanazar struggles to escape Twankey’s clutches, finally regaining his poise.)

Abanazar: Thank you Madam.

Twankey: Please no more formalities. I am known as Widow Twankey, but you can call me….. Chrysanthemum.

Aladdin: Chrysanthemum? Where did that come from?

Twankey: (Nudging Aladdin) Sssshhh

Alassout: Well actually it’s a herbaceous perennial plant of the family Asteraceae.

All look around totally bemused. Abanazar then seizes the moment.

Abanazar: Excellent. I can see we’re going to be one big happy family together.

Alassout: Oh no we’re not!

Wun Hung: Oh yes we are. (Audience interaction)

Abanazar: (Turning nasty) Enough! I tire of this nonsense.

Wun Hung: (Aside) Master, don’t forget your “Mr. Nice Guy” act.

Abanazar: Whoops. (Coughs) Anyway, Chrysanthemum I was wondering whether you would be agreeable to Aladdin giving me a tour of this marvellous city. At the same time I would also be able to purchase as many provisions for you as your heart desires.

Twankey: Oooh I don’t know about that – let me have a think. (Pause for just a split second). Yes, that’s fine. Aladdin, make sure you do whatever your Uncle Abanazar says.

Aladdin: Okie dokie Mum!

Abanazar: (Putting arm around Aladdin) Marvellous! Tell me Aladdin, is it right that you were born and bred right here in Peking?

Aladdin: It certainly is.

Wun Hung: Which part?

Aladdin: All of me.

Wun Hung: (Scratching his head) All of you…….

Abanazar: Come along my boy, you have a cave to open.

Aladdin, Abanazar and a still puzzled looking Wun Hung exit stage right. Twankey, biting one oN the gold coins before rubbing it on her dress, and Alassout move forward.

Twankey: What a charming chap.

Alassout: I’m not so sure Mum.

Twankey: Trust me my dear. My instincts are keener than ever, and nothing will go wrong. Anyway, I’ve got to nip out now as I recently heard that a gentleman outfitter friend of mine has won salesman of the year award. Before the store he works at closes, I’m going to rush over and surprise him with a big kiss in the trouser department where he’s been especially outstanding. Bye everyone!

Twankey and Alassout wave to the audience whilst exiting stage left.

Blackout.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:03 pm

It's been a funny old week in 'pantoland'. Todays' rehearsal was really good, with several of the cast moving on from just reading and blocking scenes to bringing one or two in particular to life. There were some sparkling performances, which is very encouraging seven weeks out.

However, from a phone call I received at 9.30 on Monday morning through to a text message that arrived mid-rehearsal this afternoon from my key Act Two cameo man, events are conspiring to cause us several headaches. Not just with cast members, but venue issues as well. I spent quite a bit of time finalising the last rewrite yesterday. I'm now in a position where I may need to do more, but won't know for several days at least. Rolling Eyes pale

Ho hum, we'll get by, one way or another.

Tomorrow I'll start playing catch up here by posting Act One Scene Six. It's the only scene that I'm definitely scheduled to be in - but I'm so looking forward to it as the 3 of us who are playing the roles by way of cameo have done triple headers before, most notably a ghost scene I wrote for Robin Hood (January 2004). See you tomorrow. Very Happy

*the band strikes up Jessica by The Allman Brothers*

Last edited by The Co=Ordinator on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by millerqueen Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:14 pm

our set was being partially built today meant to take some photos, but it's big and looks great before a lick of paint has been applied.
millerqueen
millerqueen
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 217
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 am

Scene Six

The Market Square. Lights up. The set is empty. Incidental music, “Jessica” by The Allman Brothers heralds the arrival of Jeremy (stage left), Richard and James (stage right), carrying maic carpets, as we have a short spoof of “Top Gear”.

Jeremy: Hello and welcome to a ‘Top Gear’ Aladdin pantomime special.

Richard: Yes, tonight we’re going to update you on our latest special challenge.

Jeremy: But just before we do that, and going back to what we were looking at last week, I was wondering James whether you’ve heard about the bloke who went out to fly stunt kites in the Kent Countryside?

James: No Jeremy, and I don’t want to.

Richard: Indeed, and who could blame you?

Jeremy: What the Production Office gave us this week were – these. (All three point at the Flying Carpets)

James: And what they told us to do was to test drive them so that we could tell Aladdin which would be the best one to use in the show, for a quick getaway in case of need.

Richard: (To the other two) So how did we get on?

Each of the three picks up their carpet before giving a brief description.

Jeremy: Well I tried out the all-new Nanjing GX8 Coupe. Sad to say that it only comes with 0.1 litre, V1 engine, it’s too noisy and far, far too slow.

Richard: Mine’s a Dong Feng.

James: I’d see a Doctor about that, if I were you.

Richard: No, it’s a Dong Feng CTSV. Unfortunately it only has, at best, 2 brake carpet power which means 0 to 60 takes just under half an hour.

James: Blimey, and you call me Captain Slow.

Jeremy: So how did you get on then James?

James: Aaah yes well, my carpet is a Ming TCE 125.

Richard: Ming? Don’t they make vases?

James: Yes and very good ones too – and suffice to say, that’s what they should stick to.

Jeremy: (Interjecting) Blimey, what a minger. Hold on, so what we’re saying is that all the Flying Carpets are completely useless?

Richard & Yes!
James:

Jeremy: (To audience) In which case, as they’re all rubbish, you won’t be seeing one in this show! (All three throw their carpets on the floor)

Richard: Oh well, at least that’ll make Jim Hunter’s* life a bit easier.

Cue prop flying carpet visual sequence to the “Dambusters” music.

James: Jeremy, did you know that Widow Twankey recently helped a gentleman friend put fertilizer on his tomato plant.

Jeremy : (Sarcastically) No James, as it happens I didn’t.

James : Yes, apparently she was very keen to see his growmore in the potting shed.

Jeremy: Moving swiftly on, it’s now time to introduce our tame racing driver. Some say that he invented egg fried rice, and that his earwax tastes like prawn crackers. All we know is that he’s The Stig’s Chinese Cousin.

Wearing a bright white helmet with dark visor across the eyes, The Stig enters stage left.

Richard: You know what guys, after all these years, I think it’s about time revealed The Stig’s true identity.

James: Blimey, that’s a really good idea.

Jeremy: (To audience) What do you say audience, do you want to see who The Stig really is?

Audience to say yes. Jeremy goes up to The Stig and removes the helmet. On each show it will be someone different, and this will be a surprise to both the cast and audience. After the reveal there needs to be a short bit of ad-libbing. After this Jeremy winds the scene up.

Jeremy: And on that bombshell, it’s goodnight. (Cue a few more bars of “Jessica”)

Blackout.

* Jim Hunter is our Producer.

Yes - I am Jeremy Clarkson, in this drop in scene which I'm hoping will be a visual feast. The "Dambusters" sequence is still in development, but I'm very hopeful it will bring the house down.

Further to what I posted last night, here are the three of us having fun in Sherwood Forest five years ago. Blimey time flies........... Laughing

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Merry_men
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:27 am

millerqueen wrote:our set was being partially built today meant to take some photos, but it's big and looks great before a lick of paint has been applied.

Please post some photos when you've got them, mq.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by millerqueen Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 am

I'll take some tonight when I'm not rehearsing Wink
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' 3040101235_047658c47d
The three bears' chairs.
I'll try and get more on Wednesday.
millerqueen
millerqueen
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 am

Is the coke machine a prop or for real mq? Razz

Anyway, we had a surprisingly good rehearsal given the scenes we were doing yesterday - those bieng bg cast numbers in the Market Square. One person failed to turn up without notice, so they're on a final warning, and another (non-speaking) has dropped out - which reduces the cast to a mere 41. affraid

And now the big scene from Act One.

Scene Seven

Desert scrim in and Sub stage. Desert dimply lit, sub stage in darkness. Abanazar enters stage left, moving with ease. A couple of seconds later he is followed by Aladdin and Wun Hung Lo. They are clearly both exhausted. All move centre stage into follow spot.

Aladdin: Oh, how much further, Uncle Abanazar? We left the city behind hours ago.

Wun Hung: (Gasping for breath) I’ve barely got a ounce of strength left.

Abanazar: (To audience) The fools I have to deal with! (Turning to Aladdin and Wun Hung) Fear not, we have arrived at our final destination.

Wun Hung: Thank goodness for that!

Aladdin: Uncle, can you please tell us again, why we’ve had to come so far?

Abanazar: (Puts arm around Aladdin) Because, dear nephew, I have learned of a sealed cave deep within which are the most wonderful and enchanted treasures in all the world. For whatever reason, fate has decreed that the only person who can open this cave is you, which I have to say is a very fortunate coincidence. (Winks at Wun Hung)

Wun Hung: It certainly is. Imagine, of all the people in all the lands it could have been, it turned out to be you. Abanazar’s nephew. (Winks back)

Aladdin: (Scratching head) How come you didn’t say anything about being a Sorcerer to Mum?

Abanazar: (Brushing off the question) Need to know basis. Right, enough of this idle chat. (Follow spot tracks the three moving stage right. Abanazar points across to the sub stage.) Here my boy is the cave. The cave of destiny. For all of us! (Abanazar slowly raises his arms above his head, As he does so dim lights up on sub stage. Inside of the cave is, for now, hidden)

Aladdin: (Looking, and pointing, at sub stage) But it’s sealed. There’s no way in or out. Look at that massive bolder .

Abanazar mutters a spell no-one understands. Effects – thunder and lightning (strobe?). All three on stage shake from side to side. Wun Hung tries to run off stage left. Abanazar holds out his left arm and clenches his fist. This action draws Wun Hung back.

Wun Hung: (Regaining his poise) Sorry Master, I thought I needed to go to the little boys room.

Abanazar: Come Aladdin, everything is prepared.

Aladdin: What do you mean?

Abanazar: I have done all within my power. You are the only person on this whole earth who can open the cave. Something is hidden deep within your heart: your soul: deep within your brain there is a spell. Think Aladdin, think of this spell and utter it. Then riches beyond your imagination, beyond that the Kings of all the World have accumulated, shall be yours.

Aladdin thinks for a few seconds, then in an unrecognisable, almost possessed, voice he utters...…

Aladdin: Drawkcab emases nepo.

Sound effect is heard of creaking, and then the bolder moving.

Wun Hung: (Excitedly pointing at sub stage) Look Master, it’s moving. The bolder is moving!

Aladdin: Blimey. Did I do that?

Abanazar: You certainly did Aladdin. Now enter the cave and collect the riches. But remember what I told you en route. The treasures are yours. All I ask for is the old lamp.

Aladdin: (To audience) Boys and girls, do you think I should go into the cave? (Audience interaction) Abanazar, why don’t you and Wun Hung come with me?

Abanazar: Because only he who opens the cave may enter the cave. Were anyone else to try, they would perish.

Aladdin: That’s reassuring – not. It’s a bit scary.

Abanazar: Look. (Thinks briefly before taking signet ring off a finger) Here, take my signet ring It will keep you free from all hurt and fear that may threaten you. (To Wun Hung) Oh, and Wun Hung, give Aladdin the sack

Wun Hung: Certainly Master. Aladdin, you’re a lightweight, you’re fired! (Wun Hung pulls out a large hessian sack and gives it to Aladdin)

Abanazar: (To audience) What a moron! (To Aladdin) Use this to bring back the treasures. And don’t forget the lamp.

Aladdin : Whatever! (To audience) Wish me luck. (Steps off the stage and onto the sub stage. Blackout desert set. Aladdin is hidden from view for a time behind a flat. Whilst there he gives a narrative for the audience, complemented by sound effects). Blimey, it’s a bit dark. Ouch, nearly twisted my ankle there. It’s an incredibly steep drop. Wow it’s enormous in here. Wait till I tell Mum. (On the cue word Mum, reveal Aladdin walking into the heart of the cave, laden with treasure). Oh my goodness. I don’t believe it. Look at all this. (Starts grabbing at the treasure).

Abanazar’s distant voice can be heard, echoing around the chamber.

Abanazar: (Through cupped hands) Aladdin, are you there?

Aladdin: Yes. It’s amazing, it’s unbelievable.

Abanazar: Have you found the lamp?

Aladdin : The what? (Aladdin looks around, finally seeing the lamp hung up on a hook high in the corner) Yes, yes: it’s here – and a right old piece of tat it is. Why on earth do you want it?

Abanazar: Don’t question me boy. Just make sure you bring it back.

Aladdin: Very well! (Aladdin fills up the sack, putting all the treasures on top of the lamp) Right, I’m coming back – get ready for me.

Aladdin moves out of the heart of the cave and behind the flat. Blackout on cave, dim lights up on sub stage. Abanazar and Wun Hung are crouching down facing the sub stage, as though ready to help Aladdin out of the cave.

Abanazar: Where are you Aladdin?

Alaadin (Voice only) I’m nearly there. But it’s so steep and really difficult to get out.

Abanazar: Here boy, hand me the lamp.

Aladdin: Are you having a laugh? It’s at the bottom of the sack!

Abanazar: Well then get it out and hand it to me. (Getting very angry) Do it now. I, Abanazar, demand it.

Aladdin: Blimey, what sort of Uncle are you, talking to your nephew like that?

Wun Hung: Master, please retain your calm.

Abanazar: (By now has lost the plot and is showing signs of madness) Don’t tell me what to do. You are my servant, nothing more. And as for you boy – you are a fool, just like your Mother and Sister. (Standing to full height. Effects of thunder and lightning again) I am not your uncle. I am Abanazar, The Greatest Grandmaster of Sorcery in the World. My only interest in you is to obtain the one thing I want. The one thing I must have – that lamp. Now pass it to me!

Aladdin: After what you just said? Deceiving me and my family? Never!

Abanazar: In which case fool, you have condemned yourself to a living death trapped deep inside that cave. (Mutters another spell that no-one understands). Bwahahahaha. (We hear the sound of the bolder once more sealing off the cave)

Aladdin: Noooo, pleaaaaaase.

Abanazar: Too late fool, if Abanazar cannot have the lamp, then no-one shall! (Dim lights up on cave as Aladdin falls back into view and collapses on the ground)

Wun Hung: Master, you’re talking in the third person again. And how come you managed to seal the cave when you couldn’t open it?

Abanazar: (Winks then says as an aside) I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow. (Back to normal self) Come Wun Hung, let us away from this debacle.

Wun Hung: Yes Master.

Wun Hung scrambles after Abanazar as they both exit stage left. Cut lights on desert, full lights on sub stage.

Aladdin: (Stands up and looks towards cave entrance) Help. HEEEEEEEEEELP!! (Turns towards audience). Oh no, what am I to do? I have all the wealth any man could want, but what use is it to me? I’m stuck, sealed for all eternity in a wretched cave by that two faced son of a jackal. Oh Mum. Oh Alassout. I had such hopes and dreams. (Sighs) Oh Princess Feng Shui, you’ve captured my heart, but now I’m caught here. I’ll never see you again. One thing I know though, I won’t ever forget your face. (Cue Music)

SONG – SHE

Aladdin: She may be the face I can't forget,
A trace of pleasure or regret,
May be my treasure or the price I have to pay.
She may be the song that summer sings,
May be the chill that autumn brings,
May be a hundred tearful things,
Within the measure of the day.

She may be the beauty or the beast,
May be the famine or the feast,
May turn each day into a heaven or hell.
She may be the mirror of my dreams,
A smile reflected in a stream,
She may not be what she may seem,
Inside her shell.

She who always seems so happy in a crowd,
Whose eyes can be so private and so proud,
No one's allowed to see them when they cry.
She may be the love that can and hope to last,
May come to me from shadows of the past,
That I remember till the day I die.

She may be the reason I survive,
The why and where for I'm alive,
The one I'll care for through the rough and rainy years.
Me I'll take her laughter and her tears,
And make them all my souvenirs,
For where she goes I’ve got to be,
The meaning of my life is she, she, she.

Aladdin: Oh what is to become of me? (Starts exaggeratedly rubbing hands together, particularly over the ring) Help! Help!

Blackout, flash effect. From nowhere the Slave of the Ring appears right in front of Aladdin. She is savvy with a sharp sense of humour and attitude.

Aladdin: (Rubs eyes in disbelief) What? I, I, I……….

Slave: Three I’s in one sentence. That makes you sound like a rather egotistical young man.

Aladdin: But, but, but………

Slave: (Hands on hips) No, I’m definitely not going to be the butt of any of your comments.

Aladdin: How?

Slave: (In style of Red Indian) How!

Aladdin: Enough! (Catching breath) Where did you come from and who on earth are you?

Slave: I came out of your ring. (Pointing) The large signet one on your finger. I’m commonly referred to as The Slave of the Ring. And you are………

Aladdin: Aladdin. But you called yourself “The Slave”.

Slave: Yes, the Slave. I am in servitude to whoever is wearing the ring. I’ve been on some dimwit bloke’s finger for years now, but he never realised what I was. Talk about a plonker! You’re new though, aren’t you?

Aladdin: (Laughs exaggeratedly) Hahaha. Abanazar, the “Greatest Grandmaster” was wearing you for years and never knew. That’s wonderful!

Slave: So, what do you wish Master?

Aladdin: I beg your pardon?

Slave: I asked what you would wish. (To audience) And you lot behave!

Aladdin: What, you mean……….

Slave: Yes, I’m a girlie genie. Now come on Boy Blunder, what do you most want to do, right here, right now!

Aladdin: Well escape from this cave of course!

Slave: Easy, peasy, lemon, squeezy. Would you like to get your sack full of treasures first though?

Aladdin: Oh yes, right! (Aladdin picks up the bag)

Slave: Ready?

Aladdin: Steady, Go!

The Slave clicks her fingers. Blackout cave, strobe effect. Seconds later lights up on desert set to reveal the two safely there.

Aladdin: Blimey. Slave you’re a wonder.

Slave: Now you’re talking. OK, just time to refuel and we’ll head off to old Peking.

Aladdin: (To audience) I’m so excited. Isn’t it wonderful? (Audience Interaction)

Slave: Come on Aladdin, no time for idle chit chat!

Aladdin: Oh sorry. Right see you later gang! Waves to audience.

Blackout.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by millerqueen Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:43 am

C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' 3058088991_cc87375f6d

here's Jim, our dame on stage with a couple of our junior chorus. Can't believe we've only one rehearsal before a week of run throughs and, as if by magic, an audience.
millerqueen
millerqueen
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:24 am

That's a fine looking set mq!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by millerqueen Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:29 am

Cheers CO, the flats are double sided with the three bears cottage behind them. Our set designer is fantastic.
millerqueen
millerqueen
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:01 am

The double sided flat is the godsend of Amdram. Some 8' by 4' boards, piano hinges and Bob's your uncle. Without good set designers, pantos would be so flat!

We did it last year and had the windmill which, on the other side, was the cell.

And a separate one for the Kitchen.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by millerqueen Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:37 am

we're running with open wings this year, just three trees as permanent flats. In the past we've enclosed the entire stage with a two tier set including a flipaway fire place hiding a cut down mini, but recently we've been using 3 triangular flats on each side with additional trucks for additional settings.
millerqueen
millerqueen
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:49 am

We're nearly always "open winged". But we have our fabled *substage* which this year is going to be the cave.........
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:53 am

We had a really encouraging rehearsal yesterday. The band did a 3 hour practice session on Saturday, and all but the rhythm guitarist were with us for the afternoon. Our sound guy was also down for the first time, and after watching the opening scene his comment was "that's an incredibly powerful opening". And he was right. Just Abanazar and Wung Hung, but the way they acted, and then sung Don't Stop Me Now, was truly amazing over a month ahead of show week. I said to the guys that if they gave me that on opening night I'd be happy.

So I'm really very enthused. Of course we have lots more work to do, of course there is bound to be an inevitable dip (most likely straight after Christmas). But I'm convinced we're onto something very good here. The embellishment of scenes is coming along nicely as well. So it's fingers crossed. In the meantime here's:

Scene Eight

Lights up. We are back in the House. The table and chairs are still in place, only this time they are adorned with Treasure and the lamp. Widow Twankey enters stage right and moves front centre.

Twankey: Boys and girls, can you believe what happened to Aladdin last night? He’s told me the whole story: (aside) or at least I think he has! Fancy that nasty Avabanana not being his Uncle! Mind you, I was never taken in by him. (Audience interaction) Oh no I wasn’t etc. Anyway, we’ve decided to keep The Slave a secret, for now at least, so she’s popped back into Aladdin’s ring. Which is just as well, as I believe he’s invited the ragamuffins around. (Noises off stage left) And by the sound of it here they come now!

Ragamuffins enter stage left with Aladdin in tow. At the same time Alassout enters stage right.

Alassout: Mum, what on earth is that row? (Looks across at ragamuffins) Ah, right – that explains it.

Aladdin: (To audience) Hiya gang! (Audience interaction – then he points around the house) Doesn’t all this treasure look amazing? (Ragamuffins are amazed and start inspecting)

Ping Pong: Blimey, we thought you were kidding us Aladdin.

Dim Sum: I’m staggered. Indeed, my gerd has never been so stagged.

No Pah King: (Spotting lamp in amongst trinkets and pointing at it) Aladdin, this seems a bit out of place, doesn’t it?

Aladdin: (Walks over and picks up lamp) Yeah. Tell you what’s weird. It’s the one and only thing that old phoney Abanazar really wanted.

Alassout: He’s obviously off his rocker.

Twankey: Aladdin I think we all know what you’re like at cleaning and dusting things, but that is so grotty – couldn’t you at least try to polish it a little bit?

Aladdin: Sure Mum. (Starts polishing lamp with sleeve. As he does so lights start flashing, sound effect of thunder).

Dum Gai: Blimey, what’s going on?

Sum Ting: This is scary.

Mai Bee: What have you done Aladdin?

Cue flash and effects. Genie appears stage right. Lights up. Everyone on stage is frozen still in a mixture of amazement and terror. Genie looks around briefly, before breaking into a big grin.

Genie: (Cricks neck) Boy, it sure is good to be out of there!

Alassout: (First to regain some confidence) You what?

Genie: (Pointing at the lamp which is still in Aladdin’s hand) I said it’s really good to get out of there! Which one of you summoned me? (Ragamuffins point to Aladdin, Genie looks him up and down) Ah right, it’ll be you then – cheers pal!

Aladdin: Pal?

Genie: Thanks for getting me out of the lamp. I’ve been stuck in there for a looooooooong time. Tell me………………. (ad lib gags)

Alassout: Who is this clown?

Genie: I’m the Genie of the Lamp. And whoever summoned me is my new Master.

Aladdin: (Moving away) Hold on – let me get this straight. I’m your Master?

Genie: Correctamundo mon brave.

Twankey: Blimey Aladdin.

Genie: So that’s your name is it? (Genie sidles across to Aladdin)

Aladdin: Um, yes.

Genie: Wow. Aladdin. Do you mind if I call you Al? You can be my bodyguard.

Aladdin: (Interjecting) You can call me Al. I can be your long lost pal.

Genie: Great stuff. Well look Al, (puts arm around shoulder) we’ve got so much to discuss. (Ad libs then out line)……. not to mention how you’re going to share all the treasure with the good folk of Old Peking (Aladdin and Genie exit stage left).

Ping Pong: Can you believe what just happened?

Dim Sum: (Rubbing eyes) Everyone’s going to think we’re mad.

No Pah King: In which case we might as well follow them. Come on! (Ragamuffins run out stage left, Widow Twankey and Alassout move stage front)

Alassout: Blimey Mum, it’s all go at the moment!

Twankey: It certainly is Alassout. Thank goodness the next scene is the last one before the interval, I really need a break – and I’m sure the audience do too! In fact, to avoid the rush I’m going to pop out right now and meet a rather tall Italian gentleman friend who’s going to join me for an ice cream. You know, there’s nothing I like better than spending some time licking the nuts off a large Neopolitan. (To audience) Bye everyone.

Both exit stage left.

Blackout.

A good 50 minutes into the show, and we finally meet The Genie. Smile

Tickets are now on sale folks, and I know that some of you have expressed an interest in coming to watch. It would be great to have a Wrinkly gathering at one of the performances. Very Happy
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Hicks Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 am

Believe me, C=O, if it was a travelable distance, I'd be there.
Colin Hicks
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Awards : C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Creato10

http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Doc Filth wrote:Believe me, C=O, if it was a travelable distance, I'd be there.
Indeed. I'll be there in spirit though. Wink
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Poster10
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by millerqueen Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I apologise for using this thread for photos of the panto I'm involved in but, here are shots of the three bears cottage
C=O proudly presents 'Aladdin' 3076087126_d77d52c9e0
they had us dancing tonight, not a pretty sight. tomorrow we're all in costume so the'll be more photos to come.
millerqueen
millerqueen
Properly wrinkly

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next