Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

+23
Lee Carey
Pauli23
barnaby morbius
Lucy McGough
camino real
Dave Webb
Patrick
TOMSPY77
Aspadistra
Graymalkin
Rich Flair
The_Void
Frank
stanmore
Nick Barlow
Colin Hicks
Sid Seadevil
Zoltar
Kate
sheringham
72lf
Johnstone McGuckian
delgadofan
27 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Empty Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by Graymalkin Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Patrick wrote:On the subject of super-hero movies, I recently watched 'Hancock.' A fascinating post-modern version of a super-hero tale where the super-hero isn't particularly well liked.

It was quite interesting for the first half - then it became tedious CGI super-fighting. Exactly as did Iron Man...
Graymalkin
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Empty Re: Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not)

Post by camino real Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 am

The uncut version of "My Bloody Valentine". This film was hacked to pieces by the MPAA when it first appeared in the early 80's, it's now available with the gory bits intact but of a lesser quality than the footage surrounding it. As slashers go, it's OK. It has a cast that's slightly older than the teens regularly seen in this kind of material and the restored killings are very bloody for the time. It's still not brilliant though. 7/10
camino real
camino real
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 am

camino real wrote:The uncut version of "My Bloody Valentine".
I'd be interested in seeing that. I worked part time in my local cinema when it was showing back in the day, and, as you say, it was an OK addition to the then fledgling genre.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Poster10
Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 pm

Disaster Movie. My expectations going into this were decidedly low. They should have been non-existent. A series of almost uniformly deeply unfunny sketches linked together by the very flimsiest of threads, resulting in a scattergun barrage of misjudged, mistimed gags that very quickly outstayed their welcome, while almost always totally missing their intended mark.

Not even one to fall asleep to.

Most unzarja - 1/10*

*I laughed at the Iron Man gag, but that was when I saw it on the TV ad - so doesn't really count*
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards : Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:30 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:*I laughed at the Iron Man gag, but that was when I saw it on the TV ad - so doesn't really count*

Don't you hate it when the best part of the movie are what you see in the TV commercials? It's like, after watching the movie, you want to demand your money back for being lured in under false pretenses.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Person10

Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:51 am

Patrick wrote:Don't you hate it when the best part of the movie are what you see in the TV commercials? It's like, after watching the movie, you want to demand your money back for being lured in under false pretenses.
Absolutely. Especially with this movie, when that one good gag was repeated about half a dozen times following the first with ever lessening degrees of mirth.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Patrick wrote:
Sid Seadevil wrote:*I laughed at the Iron Man gag, but that was when I saw it on the TV ad - so doesn't really count*

Don't you hate it when the best part of the movie are what you see in the TV commercials? It's like, after watching the movie, you want to demand your money back for being lured in under false pretenses.
Indeed. Even worse, there are times when something appears in a trailer and then is cut from the movie. So not even that scene will be there. Razz
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Person10
Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by TOMSPY77 Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Just saw a Film called Children of Men, and i loved it, 9/10 from me.
TOMSPY77
TOMSPY77
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Zoltar wrote:Indeed. Even worse, there are times when something appears in a trailer and then is cut from the movie. So not even that scene will be there. Razz
Now that is a particular pet peeve of mine. And it appears to be happening with ever greater frequency.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:36 pm

TOMSPY77 wrote:Just saw a Film called Children of Men, and i loved it, 9/10 from me.
That's a great film.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:31 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:
TOMSPY77 wrote:Just saw a Film called Children of Men, and i loved it, 9/10 from me.
That's a great film.
Haven't seen that one yet. But two OW forumers giving it a positive vote gets it a spot on the "To watch" list.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Sid Seadevil wrote:
That's a great film.
Haven't seen that one yet. But two OW forumers giving it a positive vote gets it a spot on the "To watch" list.

Thirded. A great film.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 922
Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Creato10

http://www.cathoderaytube.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Just seen 'Milk' with Sean Penn. I'm still coming down from the way it deeply affected me. A marvellous, life-affirming, hopeful film. Penn is incredible. Deserves all the awards showered on it.

Review on the blog. Highly recommended.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Zoltar wrote:Haven't seen that one yet. But two OW forumers giving it a positive vote gets it a spot on the "To watch" list.
Alfonso CuarĂ³n directing an adaptation of a P.D. James novel starring Clive Owen at the top of his world-weary, bedraggled, cynical game in a dystopia world of the near future.

I think you'll definitely enjoy it.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Graymalkin Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Frank wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
Sid Seadevil wrote:
That's a great film.

Thirded. A great film.

Gets a vote from me, too - brilliant stuff. Although Croupier is my favourite Clive Owen flick...
Graymalkin
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 am

Graymalkin wrote:Gets a vote from me, too - brilliant stuff. Although Croupier is my favourite Clive Owen flick...
Croupier is indeed another great film. And am I the only one who was pleased with the news that Owen has bought the rights to Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels, with a view to producing and starring in a series of movies beginning with a new adaptation of The Big Sleep?

Especially since he envisions it being shot in black and white in an authentic period LA setting.

Now if that comes to pass, I'll be one very pleased puppy.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by camino real Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:46 am

Frank wrote:Just seen 'Milk' with Sean Penn. I'm still coming down from the way it deeply affected me. A marvellous, life-affirming, hopeful film. Penn is incredible. Deserves all the awards showered on it.

I'm going to cry when I see it, I just know...
camino real
camino real
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 109

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 am

camino real wrote:
Frank wrote:Just seen 'Milk' with Sean Penn. I'm still coming down from the way it deeply affected me. A marvellous, life-affirming, hopeful film. Penn is incredible. Deserves all the awards showered on it.

*hands Stephen a hanky*
Wink
Lucy McGough
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Registration date : 2008-11-09

http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:37 am

Lucy McGough wrote:
camino real wrote:

*hands Stephen a hanky*
Wink

It will make you cry. And it sneaks up on you too, even though you know the outcome of the story. All five of us were blubbling in the cinema as it ended. Mind you the original documentary by Rob Epstein is also always guaranteed to make me sob. If you haven't seen it then I heartily recommend the Oscar winning The Times Of Harvey Milk. Indeed, I think it's getting it's first DVD release in Region 2 this month.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 am

Graymalkin wrote:
Gets a vote from me, too - brilliant stuff. Although Croupier is my favourite Clive Owen flick...

He's also exceptional in Gosford Park and Bent
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Frank wrote:Thirded. A great film.
So noted. Smile

Sid Seadevil wrote:Alfonso CuarĂ³n directing an adaptation of a P.D. James novel starring Clive Owen at the top of his world-weary, bedraggled, cynical game in a dystopia world of the near future.

I think you'll definitely enjoy it.
Yes, it does certainly seem so, doesn't it?
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Graymalkin wrote:Gets a vote from me, too - brilliant stuff. Although Croupier is my favourite Clive Owen flick...
It's a fave of mine as well.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Croupier is indeed another great film. And am I the only one who was pleased with the news that Owen has bought the rights to Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels, with a view to producing and starring in a series of movies beginning with a new adaptation of The Big Sleep?

Especially since he envisions it being shot in black and white in an authentic period LA setting.

Now if that comes to pass, I'll be one very pleased puppy.
As will I. Sounds great, I hope there's no executive meddling with his plans.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 am

Zoltar wrote:As will I. Sounds great, I hope there's no executive meddling with his plans.
Indeed. Although I expect some studio suit will insist on wanting to realise 40's LA, Sin City style.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:11 am

really good film- even michael caine is good
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Rate The Last Film You Watched (Whether You Liked It Or Not) - Page 3 Lionhe10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next