Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?)

+17
Lee Carey
barnaby morbius
Frank
Sid Seadevil
andrea
sheringham
sparacus
stanmore
LeeRatbag
Zoltar
Colin Hicks
whoisthedoctor
The Co=Ordinator
Graymalkin
Johnstone McGuckian
Balbinder Mann
Patrick
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Do You Plan To Buy the E-Space Trilogy on DVD?

The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_left43%The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_right 43% 
[ 10 ]
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_left35%The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_right 35% 
[ 8 ]
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_left4%The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_right 4% 
[ 1 ]
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_left13%The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_right 13% 
[ 3 ]
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_left4%The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_right 4% 
[ 1 ]
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_left0%The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 23

The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Empty The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?)

Post by Patrick Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 am

Of course the news has now come out that the Restoration Team are preparing the E-Space trilogy for release in 2009. The specific date hasn't been announced, but you can read what each disc will contain in terms of 'extras' by going HERE.

So, what are everyone's thoughts about this slice of Season 18 coming to DVD?

Me, I think this is an essential component to my Doctor Who collection. I shall be buying it as soon as it comes out, and perhaps even pre-ordering it if I can find a deal on free shipping.
Smile
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Person10

The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Empty Re: The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?)

Post by Balbinder Mann Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:00 am

I'm a real saddo when it comes to Tom Baker, a bit of a completist, so I'll be buying this - but not straight away.

I like this trilogy, one passable story (Ful Circle) and two other stories I always enjoy watching (SoD, Warriors Gate). The actual central plot that holds these stories together, the E-Space thingy, is really not strong enough, though. They've passed into another universe, whats to distinguish it from the other - the sky's a bit green! No

The extras look good - especially for State of Decay.
Balbinder Mann
Balbinder Mann
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Empty Re: The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?)

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:11 am

2 really brilliant stories and 1 not so brilliant. But I'll suffer even Warriors gate to own every story.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Graymalkin Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:14 am

I've already ordered this, despite not liking two of the stories much (at all).

Reading the article on the RT's website is slightly depressing, though - Christopher F Bidmead is on two of the commentaries and a lot of the special features, rendering them sadly unusable...
Graymalkin
Graymalkin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 981
Awards : poster award
Registration date : 2008-11-06

http://twitter.com/uragraymalkin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:16 am

Patrick wrote:Of course the news has now come out that the Restoration Team are preparing the E-Space trilogy for release in 2009.

*coughs*

Excuse me - I told you that months and months ago. affraid

And no, I won't be buying it. If I never watch Warriors Gate again it will be too soon. Twisted Evil
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Person10
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by whoisthedoctor Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I feel unable to vote in the poll as I love the E-Space Trilogy (especially State of Decay) but I cannot bring myself to associate McGann with 10/10 awesomeness. Razz
whoisthedoctor
whoisthedoctor
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Hicks Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:17 pm

It's not 10/10 awesome, but due to my fear of the shops suddenly filling up with lotsandlotsofclassicseriesDVDsIhaven'tgotandohmigodIcan'taffordanyofthem...*hyperventilates*, I'll be buying it as soon as it comes out anyway... Embarassed
Colin Hicks
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Creato10

http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:23 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:
Patrick wrote:Of course the news has now come out that the Restoration Team are preparing the E-Space trilogy for release in 2009.

*coughs*

Excuse me - I told you that months and months ago. affraid

Yes. Yes, you did tell the Wrinklies several months ago. But the link provides details of the extras which will be on the three discs (something I don't think you knew at the time). And it was only the Wrinklies within their comfy thread at DWF who would have known from your announcement, rather than everyone at Outpost Wrinkly. Still, yes, I have to be fair: you did scoop everyone on the announcement.
Laughing

The Co=Ordinator wrote:And no, I won't be buying it. If I never watch Warriors Gate again it will be too soon. Twisted Evil

< Dalek > DO NOT BLASPHEME! DO NOT BLASPHEME! </ Dalek >
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Patrick wrote:< Dalek > DO NOT BLASPHEME! DO NOT BLASPHEME! </ Dalek >

< cryon > He speaks the truth.......... </ cryon >
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:51 pm

I voted the choice that was unfortunately burdened with the phrase "10/10 McGann Awesome!"

I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out. Tom, Romana, Tharils and the vampires sufficiently compensate for my having to endure Adric. tongue
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Zoltar wrote:I voted the choice that was unfortunately burdened with the phrase "10/10 McGann Awesome!"

Now Dance! Laughing

Zoltar wrote:I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out. Tom, Romana, Tharils and the vampires sufficiently compensate for my having to endure Adric. tongue

Brave Heart, Zoltar. We can endure Adric because we already know his fate.
Smile
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Patrick wrote:Brave Heart, Zoltar. We can endure Adric because we already know his fate.
Smile
Excellent point, Patrick. Cyberman
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeRatbag Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:46 am

I always loved the E-Space trilogy (I was having real trouble with Season 18 on original transmission until Full Circle started - I hated The Leisure Hive and thought Meglos was awful, apart from Bill Fraser), so I will deffo be having this.
LeeRatbag
LeeRatbag
Not-quite-wrinkly

Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.myspace.com/leeratbag

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:20 am

LeeRatbag wrote:I always loved the E-Space trilogy (I was having real trouble with Season 18 on original transmission until Full Circle started - I hated The Leisure Hive and thought Meglos was awful, apart from Bill Fraser), so I will deffo be having this.

Hi, Lee.
I don't know if you're a member of DWAS (if you're not, C=O can get you information on how to join.) For issue 363 of DWAS' publication, Celestial Toyroom, Dave and myself offered contrasting viewpoints of season 18. Dave was generally less impressed with the start of the JNT era, whereas I was a bit more positive about it. Having said that, I didn't hold back on calling out something I found to be a wart.

You should find a copy. I think you'd enjoy reading Dave's and my musings on the season. I really liked the E-Space trilogy, and that includes Warrior's Gate. (And I fully expect I haven't heard the last of that, either. Wink )
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:58 am

I think Warrior's Gate is good. Atmospheric. I liked that Season 18 discourse. Until reading Dave's piece I'd never really thought about the oddness of the decision to make the show "grow up" coupled with the no hanky-panky idea.
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeRatbag Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:16 am

Patrick wrote:
LeeRatbag wrote:I always loved the E-Space trilogy (I was having real trouble with Season 18 on original transmission until Full Circle started - I hated The Leisure Hive and thought Meglos was awful, apart from Bill Fraser), so I will deffo be having this.

Hi, Lee.
I don't know if you're a member of DWAS (if you're not, C=O can get you information on how to join.) For issue 363 of DWAS' publication, Celestial Toyroom, Dave and myself offered contrasting viewpoints of season 18. Dave was generally less impressed with the start of the JNT era, whereas I was a bit more positive about it. Having said that, I didn't hold back on calling out something I found to be a wart.

You should find a copy. I think you'd enjoy reading Dave's and my musings on the season. I really liked the E-Space trilogy, and that includes Warrior's Gate. (And I fully expect I haven't heard the last of that, either. Wink )

Never been a DWAS member - to be honest I've never been a paid-up member of any sort of fan organisation, Who-related or otherwise. I've just never been much of a joiner. Wink
The article sounds interesting though, is it online anywhere? I really struggled with the initial part of S18, but there may well have been an element of culture-shock there; the feel of the show, at least to me at the age of 10, seemed so much different to the Hinchcliffe/Williams eras that made up my formative years. Full Circle seemed more like the show I loved than Meglos or The Leisure Hive had done, but maybe I was just getting used to the new style. I suppose it's a lot like those who have taken against the new series because it's not like the old one, really.
Oddly enough, S18 is one of my favourite seasons now, but I still can't get on with those two stories...
LeeRatbag
LeeRatbag
Not-quite-wrinkly

Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.myspace.com/leeratbag

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 pm

LeeRatbag wrote:Never been a DWAS member - to be honest I've never been a paid-up member of any sort of fan organisation, Who-related or otherwise. I've just never been much of a joiner. Wink

Well, DWAS is, I think, the oldest Doctor Who fan-based organization around, but C=O would know more about that than I.

LeeRatbag wrote:The article sounds interesting though, is it online anywhere? I really struggled with the initial part of S18, but there may well have been an element of culture-shock there; the feel of the show, at least to me at the age of 10, seemed so much different to the Hinchcliffe/Williams eras that made up my formative years. Full Circle seemed more like the show I loved than Meglos or The Leisure Hive had done, but maybe I was just getting used to the new style. I suppose it's a lot like those who have taken against the new series because it's not like the old one, really.
Oddly enough, S18 is one of my favourite seasons now, but I still can't get on with those two stories...

I don't think Celestial Toyroom is available online. But I will say this: JNT made a conscious effort to make everything about Season 18 look and feel completely different from the era that had preceded it, and thus, the choice to launch Season 18 with Leisure Hive was deliberate. He (JNT) wanted something that was visually stunning to open the season.

The unfortunate side effect of that was that plot got sacrificed. The Leisure Hive is a visual feast but has a story you could comfortably fit on the back of a postage stamp.

For me, Meglos feels rather like a holding place story. It was there merely to fill a gap before the E-Space trilogy began. It had elements in it that were a bit Flash Gordon in presentation, and had a few intriguing ideas (a sentient cactus? a chronic hysterisis?), but there were a couple of problems.

First was the Tygellans in the cast. As a Doctor Who veteran, Jacqueline Hill was certainly up to the challenge of playing the priestess of Ty, but the rest of the cast around her was not. Second, the story just seemed to take too long to get to the point, mainly because of those repeated scenes in the TARDIS.

You might try PMing C=O about seeing if you can get a copy of my and Dave's articles on the subject. Now that the Christmas issue of CT is out, there might be less feelings of proprietary protection of the articles.
Smile
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:45 am

Yes, I will certainly buy this immediately. 'Full Circle' and 'State of Decay' are both excellent. I have the VHS set, which I will donate to a charity shop.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Lionhe10

Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 am

You're an extremely generous soul spara. Smile
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:02 pm

I don't know whether to donate it to Colchester Cat Rescue or the PDSA shop. Last time I took a pile of Doctor Who DVDs to Oxfam the woman turned her nose up at them & said "everyone is going over to DVDs so these won't sell". Mad
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Lionhe10

Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by sheringham Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Give it to the Cats. They lost a lot of money over Iceland. I myself will certainly be buying the DVD and I too will give my VHSs to charity (although in my case it will be the kids' school fete/bazaar/thingy)
sheringham
sheringham
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 366
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-08

http://book-gasm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:31 pm

sparacus wrote:I don't know whether to donate it to Colchester Cat Rescue or the PDSA shop. Last time I took a pile of Doctor Who DVDs to Oxfam the woman turned her nose up at them & said "everyone is going over to DVDs so these won't sell". Mad
Hell's teeth, spara, that's bad. I can assure you that in 'my' Oxfam shop Doctor Who videos sell very well (yes, yes, sometimes to me...). Seriously, although it is true that videos aren't selling very well in general, certain videos, including Doctor Who (whether yet out on DVD or not) do still sell. Maybe not at too high a price mind you. We got some Doctor Who videos in at the weekend actually and a lot of Target novels but I haven't put the latter on sale yet.

I feel a bit shocked at the Colchester woman's lack of knowledge and understanding that Doctor Who videos were, as we all know, a special case! Smile
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Kindes10
The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:31 pm

FWIW, I agree with Cat Rescue. Our little 'baby', Pliget, is now 14 years old and she was a rescue cat of less than a year old when we got her, and her late sister, in 1995.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Hicks Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 am

I've pre-ordered it Smile.
Colin Hicks
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Awards : The E-Space Trilogy: Coming to DVD in 2009 (Do You Plan To Buy?) Creato10

http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Rumor has it this will be a Birthday gift for me, even though the release date misses by a bit. Very Happy
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next