Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago!

+7
The Co=Ordinator
Rich Flair
Jennyjenkins
Sid Seadevil
Patrick
Zoltar
Johnstone McGuckian
11 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Empty Re: Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago!

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 am

Great stuff! I'll mosey on over and take me a look-see .
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Poster10
Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Empty Re: Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago!

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am

Not [posted for ages I know, but I have finally completed The Wire, all 5 series done!

Here's what I had to say on my Blog...

This is a piece that I've dreaded writing since the moment that I first watched The Wire. There's nothing that I can say about its sheer brilliantness that hasn't already been said 500 times.

First of all, this will contain spoilers so if you haven't seen it stop reading NOW, go on to amazon and buy the complete box set. You will like it and even if you don't, you have to see it. If you have seen it, read on...

At first I didn't connect with it, I even posted on here that this may not be the series for me. But I stuck with it as many people advised me to. By the fifth episode I was completely hooked and I remained hooked throughout the rest of the series. It keeps you going until the very last moment.

It's incredibly well written, you can tell this straight away. There's an enormous number of characters but all of them feel realistic, all of them are perfectly plotted out. We learn things about them very slowly, some things we don't get told until much much later on. This doesn't matter.

The Wire isn't driven by character or plot, both are perfectly balanced. Sometimes the story hinges on one character yet at other times a main character can be simply bumped off, no epic deaths, it just happens. The best example of this comes towards the end of the final season when Omar, a character that has been pivotal to the story on a number of occasions, is shot by a child while shopping. There are literally hundreds of people after him and have been since the very beginning, yet it's a small and simple thing that is his ultimate downfall.

While watching through The Wire I found that some kind of reset button was pressed at the beginning of each series, I lost interest for periods of time before picking it up again. Yet by the end of every series I was hooked, sometimes watching three episodes in a row. The start of a series does see the pace slowed down a bit. This may have been because I was watching series back-to-back and not one a year over five years.

People ask me what The Wire is about, the obvious answer is obviously cops and robbers. However when you look carefully, it's not about that at all. It's about how Baltimore as a city fails to recognize and deal with its own problems and how the system fails those that it should protect. The Wire is really a novel for TV, about how s*** life is and how no one can really do anything about it. Every episode is a different chapter and every series is a different volume of the same story, a story that has no beginning and no end and probably never will do.

A brilliant series that is often hailed as 'the best TV series ever' and I can understand why, it's certainly up there with the greats and I would recommend it to anyone and encourage everyone to watch it in its entirety. The ending isn't particularly rewarding but it puts its message across clearly and in a very entertaining way.

I wonder what I should watch next...?
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 pm

The Sweeney.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Person10
Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:The Sweeney.
Seconded!
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Poster10
Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:53 pm

While we're talking about The Wire, this is absolute genius: “When It’s Not Your Turn”: The Quintessentially Victorian Vision of Ogden’s “The Wire”. Instead of comparing it with Dickens, it imagines what The Wire would have been like as a 19th century serial novel, complete with a literary recreation of the 'f***' scene from series 1.
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Neon Seal Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 am

For excellent dialog and a naturally progressing story arc you should watch West Wing (one of the greatest TV series ever, and the greatest none-sci-fi/fantasy series ever).

Then watch Fringe. Words cannot describe how incredible it is (the best Sci-fi show after Doctor Who and J. J. Abrams/Bad Robot at their very best).

If you want a Sci-fi that feels starkly real in the way it approaches warfair, I would also suggest Battlestar Galactica. Some here have criticised the shaky hand-cam approach during space battles, but i find it reminisent to the in-cockpit footage from WWII.
The Neon Seal
The Neon Seal
Youngster

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am

I've tried Fringe. I got about 10 episodes in and have up, not because I wasn't enjoying it, it just wasn't grabbing me in the way that I'd like a series to.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 am

BBC-America has started an original series on Saturday nights, following the current run of episodes of Doctor Who. It's called Orphan Black, and I've actually found it rather engaging. Elements of it feel quick Hitchcockian, in fact.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Person10

Johnstone's Epic Quest to Watch Stuff That was on the Telly Box A Long Time Ago! - Page 6 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Neon Seal Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 am

Johnstone McGuckian wrote:I've tried Fringe. I got about 10 episodes in and have up, not because I wasn't enjoying it, it just wasn't grabbing me in the way that I'd like a series to.

Fringe is brilliant, but you have to give it more of a chance than the average series. It doesn't really get going till about half way through series one and from series 2 onwards its a completely diffrent creature. Also, as the further it goes, the less you get individual cases as the story arc is epic.
The Neon Seal
The Neon Seal
Youngster

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6