Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official "The Cape" Thread

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official "The Cape" Thread

Post by Patrick Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 am

Indeed not. C'mon people! Watch this excellent little gem of show, and you won't regret it!
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Person10

The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official "The Cape" Thread

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:18 am

Seconded. At the very, very least it deserves a full first season. I hate it when promising series are cut off at the knees.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Poster10
The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 am

And yet again another episode that improves upon the last. Excellent introduction to a pair of nicely drawn new villains that complimented the overall tone of the show to perfection. Why, even the weird kid was much more tolerable this week. Probably thanks to the introduction of his mini Orwell new pal.

It really is a shame that this series edges ever closer to cancellation even as it gets better.

Oh and geeky satisfaction that the "Superfriends" cartoon series exists in the Cape's universe too.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:And yet again another episode that improves upon the last. Excellent introduction to a pair of nicely drawn new villains that complimented the overall tone of the show to perfection. Why, even the weird kid was much more tolerable this week. Probably thanks to the introduction of his mini Orwell new pal.

Indeed- the whole "Cape's Day Off" concept really sort of worked. And you can see with all that careful examination of his body to find the computer chip bug, Faraday is wandering into a big conflict pitting his desire to reclaim his life and family, with some growing feelings for Orwell.

Sid Seadevil wrote:Oh and geeky satisfaction that the "Superfriends" cartoon series exists in the Cape's universe too.

And Hong Kong Fooey. Indeed, I found myself in agreement with the villain that the lack of Saturday morning cartoons are a critical factor in the decline of the society.
Very Happy
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 am

Patrick wrote:Indeed- the whole "Cape's Day Off" concept really sort of worked. And you can see with all that careful examination of his body to find the computer chip bug, Faraday is wandering into a big conflict pitting his desire to reclaim his life and family, with some growing feelings for Orwell.
Absolutely. Also, the mounting hints that Farraday and his friends in the circus of crime are heading inexorably towards a clash of their respective ideologies was subtly foreshadowed once again. There's an awful lot of potentially interesting future storylines quietly bubbling away just beneath the surface here. Certainly, you get the feeling that the writers on this show have a much firmer grip on the unfolding adventure than those on Heroes had during its twilight years.

Patrick wrote:And Hong Kong Fooey. Indeed, I found myself in agreement with the villain that the lack of Saturday morning cartoons are a critical factor in the decline of the society.
Very Happy
As did I, funnily enough. Very Happy
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Well, I've now seen the concluding episode of the two part story which began last week: and once again - the show didn't disappoint. Things are really beginning to get interesting in the Cape's universe now - which is a genuine shame, as there's a mere two episodes remaining.

As always - my major, major irk with the series is the kid who plays Vince's son: It isn't that he's a bad actor - he's a total non actor. In fact he's an almost disquieting non presence. A void: an emotional black hole.

In short he's just very, very creepy.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:36 pm

The episode airs for me later tonight- which I shall be joining in progress, as tonight's Top Gear doesn't end until 8:20. Can't wait to see it.

I wonder if there's a conscious decision to have the kid portrayed that way? I mean, understand in context that he's lost his dad, and just doesn't think he can do the things he did with his dad with mom. But he's also had his favorite comic book hero appear in real life. You'd think there'd be some emotional spark in him about that.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Patrick wrote:I wonder if there's a conscious decision to have the kid portrayed that way? I mean, understand in context that he's lost his dad, and just doesn't think he can do the things he did with his dad with mom. But he's also had his favorite comic book hero appear in real life. You'd think there'd be some emotional spark in him about that.
You would expect at least a flicker of an emotional spark, wouldn't you. Unfortunately, I think the boy is just a very, very limited actor. Interestingly, Ryan Wynott who play Trip, also played the son of the central character in Flashforward. His character in that was autistic - he played that role exactly the same as he's playing this.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 am

And so it came to pass that yet another engaging series ripe with possibilities meets an untimely end at the hands of an impatient network.

Linky

Fate thee well, Cape - it was fun while it lasted. Sad
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 am

That's a shame, too. I think NBC was far more interested in devoting its resources to promoting Kathy Bates and her new series "Harry's War" in the battle of the Monday at 10:00 PM slot (vs. Hawaii 5-Oh), than actually helping The Cape find it's audience by perhaps giving it a new night.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:And so it came to pass that yet another engaging series ripe with possibilities meets an untimely end at the hands of an impatient network.

Linky

Fate thee well, Cape - it was fun while it lasted. Sad
That's too bad. I wasn't watching, but I know a few die hard fans who'll be disappointed.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
The Official "The Cape" Thread - Page 2 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Zoltar wrote:That's too bad. I wasn't watching, but I know a few die hard fans who'll be disappointed.
Count me as one of them. It wasn't perfect, but it was damned good fun - and well on the way to getting there.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Count me as one of them. It wasn't perfect, but it was damned good fun - and well on the way to getting there.
Shame, cos they stuck with Heroes well past it's sell-by date, and yet bailed on this show early.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 pm

Zoltar wrote:Shame, cos they stuck with Heroes well past it's sell-by date, and yet bailed on this show early.
It was probably because of how they took a hit with Heroes that caused them to get the jitters and pull the plug on this. A real shame.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 am

Let's remember that Heroes was being cross-promoted on two channels: NBC and Sci-Fi. That allowed the show to find its audience a little more easily. Not so with The Cape. I think NBC decided to give it a mid-season, 13 episode committment simply to fill a gap on a competitive Monday night schedule.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 am

Ah, I see. So in other words the network never gave much of a damn about it from the very outset.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 am

Patrick wrote:Let's remember that Heroes was being cross-promoted on two channels: NBC and Sci-Fi.

One wonders why NBC didn't try that with The Cape. Or did they? I can't say I checked if they aired any episodes on Syfy.

Of course, my comment was directed at the period when Heroes was bleeding viewers and spiraling in the ratings. It actually started off very well, the first season is still well-regarded.

Patrick wrote:That allowed the show to find its audience a little more easily. Not so with The Cape. I think NBC decided to give it a mid-season, 13 episode committment simply to fill a gap on a competitive Monday night schedule.
They did advertise quite a bit though. I wonder if they'll do the same with their Wonder Woman show.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:00 am

Given David E Kelley's involvement in Wonder Woman I'd imagine they'll promote it rather heavily. At least I'd hope they do.

Last edited by Sid Seadevil on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:I David E Kelley's involvement in Wonder Woman I'd imagine they'll promote it rather heavily. At least I'd hope they do.
Oh, I'm sure they will.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:48 am

Zoltar wrote:Oh, I'm sure they will.
It seems No ordinary Family's episode order has been cut back from 22 to 20. I can see that getting the chop now too.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum