Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition"

+2
Rich Flair
Patrick
6 posters

Go down

Rate Episode 2 "Rendition"

Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_left0%Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]
Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_left67%Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_right 67% 
[ 4 ]
Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_left33%Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_right 33% 
[ 2 ]
Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_left0%Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Empty Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition"

Post by Patrick Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Okay, granted, the ranks in this rate-it thread are probably not the best.  I mean, what do you do with the word "rendition"?  So while this will have nothing to do with the episode itself, I chose a dictionary definition similar to "cover version of famous song."  I'm sure I'll get some flack feedback for that, but oh well.

In episode 1, we had Jack re-united with Gwen (and Rhys, and a one-year old mini-Cooper.)  We were introduced to CIA agents Rex Matheson and Esther Drummond.  We had a convicted child molestor and killer (who's infamous line of defense was that his 12 year old victim should have run faster) survive his execution attempt and walk free.  And we had the CIA requisition Torchwood.

So what did you think of the continuing story of the miracle, in which no one on Earth dies- even those who probably ought to?  

This thread will remain locked until after transmission of episode 2 in North America, 11:00 PM Eastern Time.  Following that, let's hear from you!
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Person10

Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Empty Re: Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition"

Post by Rich Flair Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:12 am

Weird - you've got the songs in the wrong order. Shatner rules!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Poster10
Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Empty Re: Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition"

Post by Patrick Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:09 am

Because the bulk of this story took place on a plane over the Atlantic, it lacked a lot of the action scenes we had in episode 1. It had a couple of nice moments- Gwen's "I'm Welsh" statement springs to mind, as did the backward headed black-ops CIA agent- but on the whole, it wasn't as compelling as the opening episode.

Nevertheless, it did accomplish two things that will become important: Rhys and the baby were forced to remain in the UK (which gives Gwen the strong motivation to dislike Rex for doing that, and to get back home), and it established Wayne Knight's character within the CIA as the person responsible for framing Rex and Esther- thus cementing their places with Torchwood.

It also revealed that the person who first emailed the CIA all those Torchwood files is also the one now using Mr. Freaken behind the scenes.

On balance, it kept me involved in the unfolding story, but I couldn't help but feel like this an intermediate bit of fill intended to move the characters around the board rather than answer any serious questions about the mystery of "the miracle." I'll give it a 3.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am

Rich Flair wrote:Weird - you've got the songs in the wrong order. Shatner rules!

Rich,
I believe I may be relatively safe in saying you could be alone in giving Shatner's "LITSWD" the esteem you bestow upon it.
Laughing
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 am

I'll admit that it's not as good as his version of Rocket Man.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 am

Another 4/5 for me. Some great character moments, Eve Myles was brilliant. Continued exploration of the "miracle" and it's impact, the "performance" of Oswald Danes and the ever-so cheerful Jilly Kitzinger who's seemingly got a business card for every occasion in that TARDIS bag of hers. She could very well be little more than an eager con looking to fix her star to the polarizing Danes, but I suspect she's a part of something much more nasty. Good stuff.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:55 am

Don't know if it's better or I'm getting used to it, but very enjoyable. I like Rex immensely. Though the whole poisoning thing was ridiculous. More laugh out loud funny lines than last week, which was a surprise. Oswald Danes' story is starting to pick up as well. Clare from Six Feet Under is looking a bit weird these days, now that her face is less round, but not as weird as the bird from Neighbours. Who was the victim of a bad looking effect, the head on backwards bit. Unless it just looked bad because it was freaky.

And the best bit? That I can shout at my screen "Hello, Newman."
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:56 am

Patrick wrote:It also revealed that the person who first emailed the CIA all those Torchwood files is also the one now using Mr. Freaken behind the scenes.

What does this mean, Patrick? Was it something I missed?
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:21 am

Rich Flair wrote:
Patrick wrote:It also revealed that the person who first emailed the CIA all those Torchwood files is also the one now using Mr. Freaken behind the scenes.

What does this mean, Patrick? Was it something I missed?

It was a scene that happened so fast, you could easily miss it. Wayne "Newman" Knight's character is sitting at his desk, with a red cell phone in front of him. The screen on the cell phone shows a rotating triangle (the same rotating triangle that appeared in the Torchwood email in the previous episode), and message comes on it: "Remove." He then forwards that message to the black-ops CIA operative on the plane in an email. Which raises the question: who sent it to "Newman" in the first place?
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am

Oh yes, I remember now.
Spoiler:

Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:38 am

Rich Flair wrote:Oh yes, I remember now.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I thought this episode was much better than the first one - much more gripping, I was surprised when it was over.

Gave it a 4

really liked the ripping apart of the aeroplane and the so unbelievable it was ok halting of a mega serious discussion on how to save the world with how to make an anti poison potion - I too liked the "I'm welsh" moment Smile

I also agree that Jilly Kitzinger is probably more than she looks on the surface
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Rate Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 2: "Rendition" Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Jennyjenkins wrote:really liked the ripping apart of the aeroplane and the so unbelievable it was ok halting of a mega serious discussion on how to save the world with how to make an anti poison potion
I am a bit disappointed nobody asked "Why?", but I suppose it would have slowed the story down too much.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Torchwood somehow went off my radar and I've only just watched this episode. Some good bits, some not so. Serious problem with some of the garbled dialogue.
3/5.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down