Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate: "The War Games"

4 posters

Go down

Rate "The War Games"

Rate: "The War Games" Bar_left50%Rate: "The War Games" Bar_right 50% 
[ 2 ]
Rate: "The War Games" Bar_left50%Rate: "The War Games" Bar_right 50% 
[ 2 ]
Rate: "The War Games" Bar_left0%Rate: "The War Games" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Rate: "The War Games" Empty Rate: "The War Games"

Post by Patrick Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 am

A massive 10-part story begins with the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe arriving in what they think is a battlefield in the middle of World War I.  But the existence of strange mists, and a series of disappearing cabinets, soon undermine that impression.  Our time travelling trio have actually arrived in the realm of the War Chief, a renegade Time Lord, just like the Doctor.  The War Chief has been attempting to build the most fearsome army immaginable by kidnapping soldiers from wars all throughout human history, and training them to become single minded killing machines.  Clearly, the Doctor must put a stop to this.  But defeating the War Chief and returning all these temporally displaced soldiers to their rightful places in time might just be a job too big for the Doctor alone.  For the first time since we've known him, the Doctor is forced to call his own people for help, a decision that will have significant consequences for him, personally.

So, what did you think of the story which ended the Patrick Troughton years, and the 1960s, on Doctor Who?  Let's be hearing from you!

Last edited by Patrick on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate: "The War Games" Person10

Rate: "The War Games" Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Rate: "The War Games" Empty Re: Rate: "The War Games"

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 am

5/5. One of the best ever.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Neon Seal Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am

I bought it recently along with a lot of other classic who's. Part way through City of Death and loving every moment, but The War Games is next and I'm looking forward to it with great relish.

Last edited by The Neon Seal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspellings. I do that a lot...)
The Neon Seal
The Neon Seal
Youngster

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 am

I've just finished watching The War Games for the first time a in very long while. Of course it's padded beyond belief, but there are decent plot developments in each episode. Part 9 is the standout episode overall for me, culminating in its brilliant ending. The impending air of doom that hangs over the final act is also wonderful.

There are some very good performances: Philip Madoc (of course), Noel Coleman and I also really enjoyed Edward Brayshaw's turn as The War Chief. I know it gets criticised for being OTT, but that honour firmly belongs with James Bree's Security Chief. Is Bernard Horsfall Goth? Absolutely!

Having said all that, I don't get the enormously high esteem in which The War Games seems to be held. There are three other stories from Season 6 which I prefer, but it's still a decent ending to the Troughton era - an ending that could have been the farewell of the programme itself.

But taking everything into account I will now, belatedly, score it 4/5.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : Rate: "The War Games" Person10
Rate: "The War Games" Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down