Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread)

+7
Rich Flair
Aspadistra
Zoltar
barnaby morbius
Nick Barlow
Lucy McGough
Colin Hicks
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Empty Re: Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread)

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:40 am

My favourite comics, in no order, except the first:

Giffen's 'five year gap' run on Legion of Superheroes. issue 1 to 36. BEST COMIC EVER!

Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Marvelman
Alan Moore's Captain Britain
DR & Quinch
Alan Moore's Supreme
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Moore's Swamp Thing

Assorted Dredd, first 300 or so issues of 2000AD
Ro-Busters drawn by Dave Gibbons

Fantastic Four, issue 30ish to 100ish (Lee/Kirby)
Spiderman - Lee/Romita
John Byrne's Fantastic Four
X-Men 94 to 200
Miller's Daredevil
Grant Morrison's New X-Men

Kirby's Fourth World saga
New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
Tiny Titans
LSH 1950s to 1980s

Batman drawn by Dick Sprang
Grant Morrison's Batman
Batman Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
Superman written by Otto Binder or drawn by Al Plastino
Morrison's JLA
Giffen's Justice League International

Love & Rockets (Maggie & Hopey)
Love & Rockets (Palomar)
Astro City

That about covers it. All good stuff!

The writer's I almost always buy no matter what are Alan Moore, Grant Morrison and Kurt Busiek.

The artists I will always buy is Darwyn Cooke. And I hope to get all the cosmic Kirby stuff, say from 1966 onwards.

also: AMBUSH BUG!

Last edited by Rich Flair on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Poster10
Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Empty Re: Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread)

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:42 am

Nick Barlow wrote:
Rich Flair wrote:
Doc Filth wrote:The Ellis/Hitch run on The Authority almost made it into my Top 10, too Smile. In fact, it's a bit of a crying shame that there's no Warren Ellis in there at all.

Is it because he's not actually as good as everybody says?
No, that's Neil Gaiman.

Him as well! Sandman is good, not quite getting in to my list. But anything else he's written? Bloody 1609 or whatever it was nearly put me into a coma. I'm nonplussed over the rumours that he's writing for S5!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:44 am

Doc Filth wrote:What are your favourite comics, either ongoing or limited-run? My top ten are probably:

Watchmen
Preacher
Uncanny X-Men (Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum)
Sandman
JLA (Morrison/Porter)
Punisher (Ennis/Dillon)
The Avengers (Busiek/Perez)
Amazing Spider-Man (JMS/Romita Jr)
The Ballad of Halo Jones
Judge Dredd (Wagner/Grant/Ezquerra/Bolland early-mid Eighties run)

Anyone else?

All good stuff, except that JMS run on Spidey. That's the run where he introduced Gwen Stacy's secret kids by Norman Osborn. Eeeuuuurrgggh. What else has this terrible writer done.

How do you think this compares to Romita Sr's run on Spidey? Surely that's better?
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:50 am

Zoltar wrote:
Secret Wars

affraid

Have you read it since the 1980s?
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:51 am

Aspadistra wrote:When I was a kid, I was into Silver Age D.C. , but the supply in Scotland used to arrive in a sporadic manner, and out of order.

I favoured Batman, Superman and Green Lantern. Used to read a bit of Supergirl, Superboy and The Flash, alongside a bit of JLA.

My mum threw out my collection. Including one with Batgirl distracting the baddies by having a run in her tights. Apparently, it would now be worth a lot of money.

GRrrrrrrr.

Silver Age DC thrown away? That's a fortune gone!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 am

Lucy McGough wrote:
Rich Flair wrote:Has Batgirl even had a comic?
Yes. It had the current Batgirl in it - Cassandra Cain.

Oh, yeah. I never read that. Is she the one who turned bad?

I'm looking foward to lezza Batwoman in Detective Comics soon. Drawn by JH Williams, who's amazing.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:04 am

Rich Flair wrote:Giffen's Justice League International.

brilliant stuff- especially blue beetle and booster gold.
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Awards : Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Person10
Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Lionhe10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:07 am

Rich Flair wrote:
Doc Filth wrote:The Ellis/Hitch run on The Authority almost made it into my Top 10, too Smile. In fact, it's a bit of a crying shame that there's no Warren Ellis in there at all.

i dunno- nextwave, the authority and transmetropolitan are both great. he's very prolific though- i've not read a lot of his superhero/indie stuff
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:14 am

oh yeah- and i'm a big fan of some of the dr who strips the iron legion, city of the damned and the star beast by mills/wagner and gibbons, the tides of time by parkhouse and gibbons and voyager by parkhouse and ridgway which was certainly a lot better than any of colin baker's tv stories
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Hicks Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:23 am

Rich Flair wrote:
All good stuff, except that JMS run on Spidey. That's the run where he introduced Gwen Stacy's secret kids by Norman Osborn. Eeeuuuurrgggh. What else has this terrible writer done.

How do you think this compares to Romita Sr's run on Spidey? Surely that's better?

The Osborn/Stacy kids were forced on him by editorial mandate, and they were during the latter half of his run, drawn by Mike Deodato. I'm talking about his earlier issues, the Romita Jr-drawn "Aunt May finds out he's Spider-Man and this becomes a positive change to the status quo" stuff; the 9/11 issue; the Ezekiel/Morlun stuff - which was pretty good, prior to "The Other" and the reunion with MJ - all of which Quesada has now done away with, UNLIKE the Osborn/Stacy kids.

As for other stuff, he did Babylon 5 - which I know you don't like, but I don't know if that's by association with his Spider-Man run, or vice versa - and his current work on Thor is apparently being generally well-received.
Colin Hicks
Colin Hicks
Benign Dictator

Number of posts : 1308
Awards : Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Creato10

http://siskoid.com/whoccg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:32 am

Rich Flair wrote:
Oh, yeah. I never read that. Is she the one who turned bad?
Yeah, but it turned out to be due to mind-altering drugs or something, so now she's a goody again.
Lucy McGough
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-09

http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:42 am

Doc Filth wrote:The Osborn/Stacy kids were forced on him by editorial mandate, and they were during the latter half of his run, drawn by Mike Deodato. I'm talking about his earlier issues, the Romita Jr-drawn "Aunt May finds out he's Spider-Man and this becomes a positive change to the status quo" stuff; the 9/11 issue; the Ezekiel/Morlun stuff - which was pretty good, prior to "The Other" and the reunion with MJ - all of which Quesada has now done away with, UNLIKE the Osborn/Stacy kids.

As for other stuff, he did Babylon 5 - which I know you don't like, but I don't know if that's by association with his Spider-Man run, or vice versa - and his current work on Thor is apparently being generally well-received.

I read the first few issues of his Thor. Very boring! I have read some of the Spidey issues with Ezekiel in - better than I thought, with excellent artwork. I like the idea of Aunt May finding out who Spidey is, thought she should have remained dead. I'm all for change in comics - which is why I won't buy Spider-Man anymore!

Apart from the episode Babylon Squared I find that the only really good thing JMS wrote was Supreme Power. That were good!

How do you think the JMS/JRJR run compares to the greatest run, that of Lee/JRSR
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Rich Flair wrote:
Aspadistra wrote:When I was a kid, I was into Silver Age D.C. , but the supply in Scotland used to arrive in a sporadic manner, and out of order.

I favoured Batman, Superman and Green Lantern. Used to read a bit of Supergirl, Superboy and The Flash, alongside a bit of JLA.

My mum threw out my collection. Including one with Batgirl distracting the baddies by having a run in her tights. Apparently, it would now be worth a lot of money.

GRrrrrrrr.

Silver Age DC thrown away? That's a fortune gone!

She kept one comic. A ruddy 'Laurel and Hardy' comic book that she'd bought me, because it was the only one she approved of.

*weeps*
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Rich Flair wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Top five:

Sandman
JLA
Batgirl
Batman
Superman

That's a bit broad - any particular runs? Has Batgirl even had a comic?

The Batgirl that I knew appeared in Batman stories. She was Commisioner Gordon's daughter, worked in a library and had a brown belt in Karate. (I think it was Karate; it was definitely a brown belt. Presumably girls couldn't be allowed to have a black belt.)
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:28 pm

She's Oracle now.
Lucy McGough
Lucy McGough
Antediluvian

Number of posts : 3519
Registration date : 2008-11-09

http://skeinofstars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauli23 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:04 pm

I guess it's got to be -

Watchmen
V For Vendetta
2000AD
The Killing Joke
Tank Girl
Deadline
Whizzer and Chips
Krazy Comic (and Cheeky)
Misty
Viz
Spidey and Daredevil
Pauli23
Youngster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Rich Flair wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
Secret Wars

affraid

Oh, I'm fully aware it's dated and it was basically intended to be a big toy advert. But it's still a great mini-series IMO, if only for moments like Doom taking the Beyonder's power or Hulk holding up a bloody mountain.

And since you mentioned it, New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke goes on my list. And I'll add Morrison's All-Star Superman as well.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Doc Filth wrote:The Osborn/Stacy kids were forced on him by editorial mandate, and they were during the latter half of his run, drawn by Mike Deodato. I'm talking about his earlier issues, the Romita Jr-drawn "Aunt May finds out he's Spider-Man and this becomes a positive change to the status quo" stuff; the 9/11 issue; the Ezekiel/Morlun stuff - which was pretty good, prior to "The Other" and the reunion with MJ - all of which Quesada has now done away with, UNLIKE the Osborn/Stacy kids.

I'm enjoying his run on Thor. It moves a little slowly at times but it's still interesting. Shame about JMS' run on Spidey, so much of it seems tainted by Joephisto's various mandates. Speaking of him, if we were ever to do a thread for comics stories that are our least favorite, One More Day shall definitely be on my list...
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Favourite comics? (The obligatory list thread) - Page 2 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 am

Zoltar wrote:
Rich Flair wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
Secret Wars

affraid

Oh, I'm fully aware it's dated and it was basically intended to be a big toy advert. But it's still a great mini-series IMO, if only for moments like Doom taking the Beyonder's power or Hulk holding up a bloody mountain.

And since you mentioned it, New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke goes on my list. And I'll add Morrison's All-Star Superman as well.

Yes, if you put it that way it's bonkers and harmless and there's a lot worse. I was very excited at the time, what with us finding out the changes to the characters on their return before finding out what happened. And it's a bloody classic when compared to the god-awful Secret Wars 2!

And yes, All-Star Superman. I forgot that one!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:30 am

My list addendum:

All-Star Superman
The Ultimates 1 & 2

The Drunken Bakers in Viz - absolutely amazing. As Alan Moore said, it's as if Beckett was writing a comic!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 am

barnaby salton wrote:
Rich Flair wrote:Giffen's Justice League International.

brilliant stuff- especially blue beetle and booster gold.

I'm also enjoying Booster Gold at the moment - harmless fun, probably the best comic of it's type since Hourman.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:34 am

barnaby salton wrote:
Rich Flair wrote:

i dunno- nextwave, the authority and transmetropolitan are both great. he's very prolific though- i've not read a lot of his superhero/indie stuff

I'll have to check out more of his stuff - I've enjoyed the bits of the Authority and Planetary that I've read. I should check out Transmetropolitan - I could probably get the whole series from the cheap box at the comics shop.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 am

barnaby salton wrote:oh yeah- and i'm a big fan of some of the dr who strips the iron legion, city of the damned and the star beast by mills/wagner and gibbons, the tides of time by parkhouse and gibbons and voyager by parkhouse and ridgway which was certainly a lot better than any of colin baker's tv stories

Oh yeah - those Gibbons stories are the greatest Doctor Who stories EVER. If only the show was as good as
that. And some of those back-up strips - the Auton one especially.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:11 am

Zoltar wrote:

I'm enjoying his run on Thor. It moves a little slowly at times but it's still interesting. Shame about JMS' run on Spidey, so much of it seems tainted by Joephisto's various mandates. Speaking of him, if we were ever to do a thread for comics stories that are our least favorite, One More Day shall definitely be on my list...

couldn't get into his thor- liked the walter simonson run best. and all star superman is great. all star batman on the other hand...

ultimates 1 and 2...not 3.
i' m really enjoying millar's work on wolverine and fantastic four at the moment.
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 am

Rich Flair wrote:
barnaby salton wrote:oh yeah- and i'm a big fan of some of the dr who strips the iron legion, city of the damned and the star beast by mills/wagner and gibbons, the tides of time by parkhouse and gibbons and voyager by parkhouse and ridgway which was certainly a lot better than any of colin baker's tv stories

Oh yeah - those Gibbons stories are the greatest Doctor Who stories EVER. If only the show was as good as
that. And some of those back-up strips - the Auton one especially.

which was by alan moore.

he knows the score.
pop will eat itself said so.
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next