Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Comic Thread

+8
seiscat
Bonsai.Talker
Rich Flair
Zoltar
barnaby morbius
Lee Carey
Sid Seadevil
Colin Hicks
12 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Comic Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Comic Thread

Post by Zoltar Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Dave Webb wrote:Moore won't write it, so I have no doubt they will shoe-horn it all into Marvel continuity somehow. On the other hand, this could mean reprints and since I no longer have any of my Miracle/Marvelman stuff, I might get a shot at owning it again.

I wonder if Gaiman might be persuaded to pen a run?
He's always said he'd like to finish his run from the Epic Comics days. And a Twitter quote of his was mentioned in this article.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22227

Gaiman also made a brief public comment, posting on his Twitter account "Re Marvelman: I think it's great news that Mick Anglo's creations is going to be seen again, and hopeful that my work & Bucky's will be back."
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : The Comic Thread - Page 3 Person10
The Comic Thread - Page 3 Poster10
The Comic Thread - Page 3 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:09 am

Yes, Barnaby, sell them now while you can get £50 a copy for them - because they'll be reprinted in a few years which is the longstanding agreement Marvel have with Gaiman - as part of the deal involving 1602 they agreed they would reprint his (and by extension Moore's) stuff if Gaiman or themselves ever got hold of the rights to the character.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : The Comic Thread - Page 3 Poster10
The Comic Thread - Page 3 Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Goddamnit!

Somebody better start talking about Grant Morrision's epic work on restructuring the Batman books or I'll goddamned well go all goddamned Frank Miller on your sorry goddamned asses!

Last edited by Sid Seadevil on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Goddamned)
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
The Comic Thread - Page 3 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Goddamnit!

Somebody better start talking about Grant Morrision's epic work on restructuring the Batman books or I'll goddamned well go all goddamned Frank Miller on your sorry goddamned asses!
Sounds goddamned painful. I'm enjoying Batman Inc. thus far, I like that Batman: The Brave and the Bold inspired some of his ideas there. I'll definitely miss him on Batman and Robin, though you can clearly do worse than a few issues with Paul Cornell.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:41 am

Zoltar wrote:Sounds goddamned painful. I'm enjoying Batman Inc. thus far, I like that Batman: The Brave and the Bold inspired some of his ideas there. I'll definitely miss him on Batman and Robin, though you can clearly do worse than a few issues with Paul Cornell.
Agreed on all points. As for Cornell, I'd be more than happy to see him take over B&R full time. It's a title that would benefit enormously from his well honed sense of the absurd. His work on Lex Luthor over in Action Comics is also outstanding.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Agreed on all points. As for Cornell, I'd be more than happy to see him take over B&R full time. It's a title that would benefit enormously from his well honed sense of the absurd. His work on Lex Luthor over in Action Comics is also outstanding.
Couldn't agree more. His Action has been a real highlight of my comics reading of late. I almost wish Lex could keep the book. Very Happy
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Zoltar wrote:Couldn't agree more. His Action has been a real highlight of my comics reading of late. I almost wish Lex could keep the book. Very Happy
Same here. You know, I honestly think that Cornell's Lex could very easily sustain his own title.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Truth to tell, I'm actually looking forward to this even more than I am Captain America.
Yeah, I said the same thing to my sister the other day. Though Cap's movie looks to be coming together well also. Great cast lined up for that.

Sid Seadevil wrote:oh me too. He's easily my favourite of DC's mystical/magical characters. And nobody ever drew him quiet as well as the late, great (and criminally underrated) Jim Aparo.
Agreed. I was also very much a fan of his work on Batman.

It was nice to see Phantom Stranger turn up in "Blackest Night". Have you seen the episode of Brave and the Bold where he appeared?
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Zoltar wrote:Yeah, I said the same thing to my sister the other day. Though Cap's movie looks to be coming together well also. Great cast lined up for that.
Yep, I've always thought Thor had great cinematic potential - especially since the design team have drawn a lot of inspiration from the designs of the Kirby era. As for Cap's movie - it does look promising indeed. The cast is great, and I'm rather confident it's going to deliver.

Sid Seadevil wrote:Agreed. I was also very much a fan of his work on Batman.
Absolutely. Along with Sprang, Adams and a handful of others, Aparo belongs in that small select drop group whose style defined the popular image of the character for an entire generation. As I said, he is criminally underrated.

It was nice to see Phantom Stranger turn up in "Blackest Night". Have you seen the episode of Brave and the Bold where he appeared?[/quote]It was great to see him feature in "Blackest Night". Yes, I very much enjoyed the B&B episode featuring him and the Spectre. I was surprised just how dark they managed to make it given the target audience for the show.

Actually, the Stranger would work perfectly as a TV show. The character very much seems naturally suited to the format.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Yep, I've always thought Thor had great cinematic potential - especially since the design team have drawn a lot of inspiration from the designs of the Kirby era.
Indeed they have, the Destroyer looks fantastic.

Sid Seadevil wrote:Absolutely. Along with Sprang, Adams and a handful of others, Aparo belongs in that small select drop group whose style defined the popular image of the character for an entire generation. As I said, he is criminally underrated.
Agreed.

Sid Seadevil wrote:Yes, I very much enjoyed the B&B episode featuring him and the Spectre. I was surprised just how dark they managed to make it given the target audience for the show.
Speaking of the Spectre, his DC showcase short was quite good I thought.

Sid Seadevil wrote:Actually, the Stranger would work perfectly as a TV show. The character very much seems naturally suited to the format.
And it'd be a simple "costume" to recreate.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 pm

The Destroyer looks as if it's torn itself free from a Kirby drawn panel.

Absolutely fantastic realisation. I also really enjoyed the Spectre short. Gary Cole was an excellent choice to voice Jim Corrigan, and interestingly, that particular short (along with the characters B&B episode) really captured the imagination of my nephew Elliott to the extent that he's been reading my Spectre issues. Job done, DC!

Indeed. A Phantom Stranger concept show is actually really rather tailor-made for TV for a number of reasons. No need for detailed knowledge on the audiences part of the character's backstory. The concept lends itself to self-contained (almost "Twilight Zoneish") stand alone stories, while still leaving plenty of room for subtle 'arc' elements if required. Flexible as to the need for costly SFX. Wide range of story types allowed within the format. Instant win in my book.

On possibly important sticking point (at least for me - and I might just be biased here): The Stranger really should speak with a British accent. It's how I've always 'heard' his voice in my head; plus for some reason the character having a recognisably American accent would just make him sound...'wrong'.

Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:34 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Indeed. A Phantom Stranger concept show is actually really rather tailor-made for TV for a number of reasons. No need for detailed knowledge on the audiences part of the character's backstory. The concept lends itself to self-contained (almost "Twilight Zoneish") stand alone stories, while still leaving plenty of room for subtle 'arc' elements if required. Flexible as to the need for costly SFX. Wide range of story types allowed within the format. Instant win in my book.
Indeed, the character's backstory is mostly mystery anyway.

Sid Seadevil wrote:On possibly important sticking point (at least for me - and I might just be biased here): The Stranger really should speak with a British accent. It's how I've always 'heard' his voice in my head; plus for some reason the character having a recognisably American accent would just make him sound...'wrong'.
Given some of the theories of what or whom he might be, it could literally be wrong for the character to sound like an American. That having been said, I didn't mind Kevin Conroy in the part for the purposes of the B&B episode, if only for it being one of many nods to the televised history of the character. Of course the role I really liked him in was the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 am

Zoltar wrote:Given some of the theories of what or whom he might be, it could literally be wrong for the character to sound like an American. That having been said, I didn't mind Kevin Conroy in the part for the purposes of the B&B episode, if only for it being one of many nods to the televised history of the character. Of course the role I really liked him in was the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh.
Oh don't misunderstand me, I actually had zero problem with Kevin Conroy's vocal interpretation of the character. And it was just totally right that he voiced the Zur-En-Arrh version of Batman. God, I love that series...

And while we're on the subject of comics, I just finished downloading JohnOstrander and Tim Truman's "Grimjack". The entire First comics run. Another character that's a particular favourite.

And on the nostalgia side of the business - Jack Kirby's entire 1958-59 run of Green Arrow. It's amazing how many 'fans' have no idea The King ever worked on the character.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:And while we're on the subject of comics, I just finished downloading JohnOstrander and Tim Truman's "Grimjack". The entire First comics run. Another character that's a particular favourite.
I like Grimjack as well, though it's been a while since I've read any. But Ostrander's a great writer, I've followed him to characters I normally would'nt read comics for.

Sid Seadevil wrote:And on the nostalgia side of the business - Jack Kirby's entire 1958-59 run of Green Arrow. It's amazing how many 'fans' have no idea The King ever worked on the character.
Nice, I don't think I've ever read those. My last nostalgia hunt was for old Spideys, particularly stuff penciled by Gil Kane and Ross Andru.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:21 am

Zoltar wrote:[
I like Grimjack as well, though it's been a while since I've read any. But Ostrander's a great writer, I've followed him to characters I normally would'nt read comics for.
Couldn't agree more. Ostrander has never been less than a consistently great writer as far as I'm concerned.

Nice, I don't think I've ever read those. My last nostalgia hunt was for old Spideys, particularly stuff penciled by Gil Kane and Ross Andru.[/quote]The TP is available as a Cbr currently at Demonoid. Which is where I downloaded it from. It's well worth a look. As for Kane and Andru on Spidey - just superb work. It actually annoys me when I browse comic forums and realise just how many younger fans have near zero knowledge (and even less appreciation) for the work of such greats.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:36 am

Everybody go out and buy the tpb of Thor: The Mighty Avenger, the best comic currently being pulished and, unfortunately, due to be cancelled in another issue or so.

It's an all ages title designed to fill in a modernised backstory to the upcoming Thor film, but really this is an absolutely charming romance comic that should really be called Jane Foster Loves Thor. It also has stories such as Thor and the Warriors' Three heading off to Scandanavia but stopping off to have a pint and ending up in a pub fight with Captain Britain on the way.

It's written by Roger Langridge, whom I remember from multiple Fantagraphics work from years ago, but who is now better known for Boom's The Muppet Show adaptation and drawing the occassional DWM illo, and drawn by Chris Samnee, previously unheard of by me, but now possibly my favourite artist-- check out the panels below for his skill with expressions and body language.

The Comic Thread - Page 3 DnI4R

It really is very, very good. Buy it. Now.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
The Comic Thread - Page 3 Creato10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:56 am

Lee old man, with your comments and that sample page; you've just made a believe out of me!

Thanks for the excellent tip.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 am

I concur - Thor: TMA tis teh awesome. I'm going to get some of his Muppet Show stuff when funds allow.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
The Comic Thread - Page 3 Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:12 am

Again, more than good enough recommendation for me.

I think I'll see if I can source a digital copy or two to tide me over and further whet my appetite for the Trade.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 am

Thor: The Mighty Avenger is one I'd recommend as well, damn shame it's being cancelled. Samnee's art is fantastic and I hope Marvel has something lined up for him to replace this book.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 am

Well, in light of the unanimous praise being thrown around here for the title I've managed to score myself digital copies of a couple of the early issues. I'll read them over the weekend then hopefully blackmail one of the family into dropping the TP into my Christmas stocking.

Frankly, from what's been said here I'm surprised it's facing the chop. Although wasn't a rather ill-advised marketing decision on Marvel's part to release it so early when I would have though it stood a far better chance of survival if it had its release timed to coincide with with release of the film.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:23 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Well, in light of the unanimous praise being thrown around here for the title I've managed to score myself digital copies of a couple of the early issues. I'll read them over the weekend then hopefully blackmail one of the family into dropping the TP into my Christmas stocking.

Frankly, from what's been said here I'm surprised it's facing the chop. Although wasn't a rather ill-advised marketing decision on Marvel's part to release it so early when I would have though it stood a far better chance of survival if it had its release timed to coincide with with release of the film.
Part of the problem is it's All-Ages and not in continuity. Some folks only seem to read comics that "count" as it were. Another issue might've been the number of Thor-related mini-series they've released of late. As a Thor fan, I'm not complaining, but it could leave some fans unsure as to what Thor books they should read.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 am

Zoltar wrote:Part of the problem is it's All-Ages and not in continuity. Some folks only seem to read comics that "count" as it were. Another issue might've been the number of Thor-related mini-series they've released of late. As a Thor fan, I'm not complaining, but it could leave some fans unsure as to what Thor books they should read.
Ah, I see your point. Although I've never myself been what anyone could consider a 'Continuity Slave', I've been around fandom off-and-on for enough years to suspect that they've pretty much become the dominant force. Oh, and yes - while I was looking around for the digital issue I was astonished by the sheer number of Thor mini's. Overkill - much? Especially considering what Marvel appear to be charging for their product these days.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:38 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Ah, I see your point. Although I've never myself been what anyone could consider a 'Continuity Slave', I've been around fandom off-and-on for enough years to suspect that they've pretty much become the dominant force.

Money is a major factor there. Prices are up, people have less money to spend on comics. So they try to select only "important" comics. Personally, I'm the same as you. A good story is a good story, whether it's taking place in the main continuity or not.

Sid Seadevil wrote:Oh, and yes - while I was looking around for the digital issue I was astonished by the sheer number of Thor mini's. Overkill - much? Especially considering what Marvel appear to be charging for their product these days.
Yep, it was a bit of a Thor Spam. Especially given he's also appearing in The Avengers and the Avengers Prime mini-series. Speaking of Avengers Prime, some fantastic Alan Davis art there.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:53 am

Zoltar wrote:Money is a major factor there. Prices are up, people have less money to spend on comics. So they try to select only "important" comics. Personally, I'm the same as you. A good story is a good story, whether it's taking place in the main continuity or not.
Agreed absolutely. That's one of the things I like about DC at the moment - their pricing structure and the fact that many of the books have a back-up feature. More bang for your buck can't be bad.

Zoltar wrote:Yep, it was a bit of a Thor Spam. Especially given he's also appearing in The Avengers and the Avengers Prime mini-series. Speaking of Avengers Prime, some fantastic Alan Davis art there.
Great to hear that Alan Davis is back to working full time. I heard he'd had a serious injury/hand problem that had basically reduced him to producing the occasional cover. He's one of the modern great 'traditional' superhero artists.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content