Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks"

+10
Kristen Stone
Nick Barlow
Ginger Ninja
Zoltar
Rich Flair
Dave Webb
Jennyjenkins
Johnstone McGuckian
The Browncoat Cat
Patrick
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_left12%Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_right 12% 
[ 2 ]
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_left71%Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_right 71% 
[ 12 ]
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_left17%Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_right 17% 
[ 3 ]
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_left0%Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_left0%Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 17

Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Empty Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Post by Patrick Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen,
It gives me great pleasure to point out that the start of Series 7 of Doctor Who is upon us. And we have a Dalek story to kick things off. Shoot for eye-stalks, I say.

Now, we also have, layered into this, five "Pond Life" shorts, which are apparently setting us up for the series launch. Amy and Rory... separated? The Doctor kidnapped by Daleks?

This is your chance to post your thoughts on the entry episode for Series 7. Tell us everything you thought about the story, and most importantly, hit that rate it button.

This thread will remain locked until transmission of Episode 1 occurs in the UK. Which means our standard spoiler warning to North American viewers: posts in this thread may contain information about plot points, characters and quotes you may want to avoid if you don't want this episode spoiled for you. Cheers!

And welcome at long last a new series of Doctor Who!
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Person10

Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Empty Re: Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Post by Patrick Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, c'mon everyone. Don't be shy. Tell us what you thought.
Very Happy
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I only gave it 4 out of 5 because I was bothered by the concept of the Daleks having a Parliament and a Prime Minister. This suggests free speech and free thinking. Since when did daleks have either. They are the ultimate fascists.
Somebody hit Rory with the clue stick. Its a Dalek, its saying "eggs...", what did he expect it to say, "eggs and bacon for breakfast please.' or something?
Spoiler:
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 am

A solid 4 from me. Exactly what Doctor Who should be: fun and exciting. Judging by the social media hype I'd say that DW is becoming even bigger still.
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 am

4 from me too - really sad for Oswin though Sad
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Awards : Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Poster10
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:09 am

Prime Ministers are generally considered to be first among equals, Cat.

Liked it. A 4 from me, because it was a Dalek story that didn't really feature the Daleks. I was a smidge disappointed in the writing
Spoiler:

but the performances - specifically Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill - more than made up for any shortcomings.

If Mr.Darvill doesn't end up with a lead role in something following his run as Rory, I will be disappointed. He reminds me very much of Martin Freeman.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Person10

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:12 am

Needed more Daleks. And more mad Daleks. Much better on the 2nd viewing.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:15 am

I gave it a four, as well. Great fun to see Skaro again after all this time.

First off, I have to give a big round of applause to Jenna Louise-Coleman as Oswin, the souffle-making, Carmen-fixated human dalek. Obviously, when she becomes a companion at Christmas, she won't be playing Oswin, but she's certainly impressed me with her acting chops.

I do have to disagree with Dave about the treatment of Amy. She's always had a touch of selfishness about her, but in the context of a story where the nanocloud is converting her to a Dalek, having that streak pushed a bit more to the forefront works. Remember the line, "you subtract love and add anger." I think both Moffat's writing and Gillian's performance nicely underscored the way she was being affected.

I do have some advice for Rory, though. Mr. Williams-Pond, I highly recommend you run out and get yourself a copy of The Universal Guide To Dealing With Daleks. C'mon, did you really think they were just saying "eggs"?

Now, here's the big question. The episode starts with a voice over about the legend of the Doctor, and everyone thinking he's dead. Now we have all memory of the Doctor- Mr. Oncoming Storm- from the Dalek's memory. That's a pretty significant plot development, if you ask me, and I'm rather curious where this is going to go.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 am

Patrick wrote:
I do have to disagree with Dave about the treatment of Amy. She's always had a touch of selfishness about her, but in the context of a story where the nanocloud is converting her to a Dalek, having that streak pushed a bit more to the forefront works. Remember the line, "you subtract love and add anger." I think both Moffat's writing and Gillian's performance nicely underscored the way she was being affected.

You're suggesting Amy was being converted into a Dalek when she decided that the way to deal with infertility was divorce? Because that happened before the whole conversion thing, months before.

We're expected to believe this is the same Amy and Rory we saw last season - the Rory who waited for 2,000 years outside a box? The Amy who was prepared to kill herself and the Doctor because Rory had been killed in what might have been a dream? And her solution to a medical situation is to throw Rory out and divorce him? Really? Really? The Girl who Waited, the girl with the time travelling daughter and time lord for a son in law couldn't find a better solution than "Well, I might not be your ideal woman any more so I'm going to hurt you as much as I possibly can right now" ?

C'mon, Patrick. The emotional core of the Pond's story was contrived and out of character.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 am

I grant you, the reasons for why they were divorcing were a bit far fetched. And I grant you, the divorce plot-line preceded Amy's nanocloud experience. I was talking specifically about Amy's characterization through the bulk of this story, though.

My problem with the plot line had more to do with how Rory was being treated as a character. He seemed absolutely clueless as to how to respond to Amy. The divorce plot-line only makes sense if Amy had never told Rory that the reason she was sending him packing was because her self-image had been damaged by the knowledge that she can't have any more children. Do we know that she never told him before that moment in the episode?
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:35 am

It gets a 4 from me as well.

On the negative side, I agree with Dave's issue with Amy's characterization. I would've liked to seen more of "every Dalek ever", though the bit where the nuttiest of the bunch allowed for some classic Dalek encounters to be namechecked was fun.

On the plus side, great performances from the cast. Jenna won me over easily and I'm really looking forward to seeing her and Matt travel together. The Dalek puppets and zombies were put to good use. The opening scenes on Skaro looked great.

Doctor Who indeed. Interesting to see where that goes.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Did she specifically state that she cannot biologically have children anymore? If not then it could be taken to mean that she won't have children because of what happened at Demon's Run ie she doesn't want another kidnapped child. Solved in episode 5 when the Doctor agrees not to visit the couple again, thus minimising the risks to a future child. Incidentally, where did the photo of Amy and child from last year's opener come from - have they explained that yet?
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 pm

It sounded like it was biological to me.

"Whatever they did to me at Demon's Run, I can't ever give you children."
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Rich Flair wrote:Did she specifically state that she cannot biologically have children anymore?

Yes. The actual line of dialogue was Amy's: "Whatever they did to me at Demon's Run, it means I'm incapable of having any more children."

Rich Flair wrote: Incidentally, where did the photo of Amy and child from last year's opener come from - have they explained that yet?

I had assumed that, since the photo was found in the room where the first incarnation of River Song lived (the orphanage room in Florida), it had been taken by Madam Kovarian in "A Good Man Goes To War," and given to her by the Silence.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginger Ninja Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:42 pm

I found the whole episode Extremely enjoyable. Only gets a four cause it needed OLD daleks being more prominent. The survivors of the "Doctor Wars" should have been the actual ones. But apart from not enough oldies, pure brill!
Ginger Ninja
Ginger Ninja
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 229
Awards : Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Lionhe10
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Patrick wrote:I grant you, the reasons for why they were divorcing were a bit far fetched. And I grant you, the divorce plot-line preceded Amy's nanocloud experience. I was talking specifically about Amy's characterization through the bulk of this story, though.

My problem with the plot line had more to do with how Rory was being treated as a character. He seemed absolutely clueless as to how to respond to Amy.

Wouldn't you be? Rory is far from perfect, but where Amy is concerned he's nothing but patient and supportive. This is the guy who Amy forced to play at being the Doctor as a kid. I'm fairly sure that the only person who could force Rory to do something he didn't want to do is Amy. Which is pretty much what we see. Rory says she threw him out, Amy doesn't contradict this but instead spins it into giving him up, as if throwing him out and divorcing him is somehow doing him a favour.

Let's assume for a moment that Amy believes she's doing Rory a huge favour by sparing him years of low level disappointment. It means she hasn't noticed that what Rory wants, what he's demonstrated over and over again what he wants, is Amy.

Amy, whatever her motives, is behaving badly. I don't really see a sensible alternative interpretation, especially since when Amy launches into her "I gave you up" rant, she shouts over Rory. What was Rory going to say? Look at the performance.

...actually, the storyline is saved by Karen and Arthur, who turn in some really good work to make the whole thing hang together. The episode is essentially a four hander (five if you count Nick Briggs) and yet still feels huge.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Dave Webb wrote:...actually, the storyline is saved by Karen and Arthur, who turn in some really good work to make the whole thing hang together. The episode is essentially a four hander (five if you count Nick Briggs) and yet still feels huge.
Agreed on the whole thing, but especially this bit. While I didn't care for Amy's actions, Karen gave a great performance.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 pm

I give it 3/5 - there's good stuff in there, but just felt a bit of a mess to me. Oswin was good, but didn't feel too much different from other Moffat female characters and I've given up on the idea of Rory and Amy having any sort of consistent characterisation.

Though I do hope that this iteration of the Daleks - Prime Ministers and all - is going to be seen again, because otherwise they've brought in a quality actor like Anamaria Marinca and given her a rather small role.
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristen Stone Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am

Late to the debate as usual, but that's me. Interesting that most of the comments so far are about the relationship between Amy and Rory. I felt sad that they appeared to be splitting up and wondered if I should have watched Pond Life. But let's face it, their relationship was never going to be easy or straightforward, and as far as I know, this is the first time there has been a 'couple' involved with Doctor Who. But that's all rather too grown up for me and possibly for the kids watching. Relationships are difficult enough to understand without throwing in time travel, strange births and dopplegangers made out of goo. And you wonder why their relationship is strained!
What I want to know is, did anyone else twig that Oswin was really a Dalek, or was I the only one thick enough not to think of that?
Kristen Stone
Kristen Stone
Youngster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.kristen-stone-the-writer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 am

Kristen Stone wrote:What I want to know is, did anyone else twig that Oswin was really a Dalek, or was I the only one thick enough not to think of that?

Nope, didn't spot it. In retrospect it was obvious, but for me only in retrospect.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:51 am

Dave Webb wrote:
Kristen Stone wrote:What I want to know is, did anyone else twig that Oswin was really a Dalek, or was I the only one thick enough not to think of that?

Nope, didn't spot it. In retrospect it was obvious, but for me only in retrospect.

I honestly didn't cotton onto the fact she was already a converted Dalek, either.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 am

Patrick wrote:
Dave Webb wrote:

I honestly didn't cotton onto the fact she was already a converted Dalek, either.

Ditto jocolor
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 am

Not seeing it coming doesn't make you thick at all, they set it up really well. The Doctor's comments about her food situation did make me suspect it as a possibility, but only cos I thought it unlikely that she'd end up just another Roboman type and she had been on the planet unprotected for a year.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 am

Patrick wrote:
Dave Webb wrote:

i did a few minutes before, but then again, i am remarkably clever.

anyway i saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was fab-definitely one of the best Matt Smith episodes. dinosaur one looks a bit dogy though!
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Rate "Asylum Of The Daleks" Lionhe10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristen Stone Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am

Phew! Glad it wasn't only me. I should be thinking these things through but then - I never manage to work out 'who did it' in 'who dun its' either.
Kristen Stone
Kristen Stone
Youngster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.kristen-stone-the-writer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next