Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers!

+7
The Browncoat Cat
gabbie
Exterminieren
Nick Barlow
andrea
Patrick
The Co=Ordinator
11 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Empty Re: Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers!

Post by Patrick Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 am

Hmm, that's a familiar sight.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Person10

Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Empty Re: Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers!

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:18 am

Series 8 Update

A further update to incorporate Moffat's comments - beware hyperbole!

1. Deep Breath. Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Ben Wheatley.
The Paternoster Gang and the Clockwork Droids return, alongside a T-Rex in Victorian era Thames. "It's a huge introductory show. What if your best friend was somebody else? It's really about Clara trying to cope with that - and whether or not she even likes who he is, mixed in with a truly terrifying monster."

2.Into the Dalek. Written by Phil Ford. Directed by Ben Wheatley.
Fantastic Voyage and The Invisible Enemy seem to have influenced this year's Dalek tale. "We've done a really good Dalek one by saying they're nasty. It's actually quite a gritty Dalek adventure. We go without question into the most dangerous place in the universe - the last place the Doctor should be, and you will know that by the end of the pre-titles."

3. Robots of Sherwood. Written by Mark Gatiss. Directed by Paul Murphy.
The Doctor and Clara meet Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham. Plenty of joshing banter in this one. "It's the Doctor meets Robin Hood. And it's about being a hero. The Doctor's going through a period of his life where he's worrying about whether he counts as a good man. It's very, very funny. Everything you want in a good Robin Hood is going to be there."

4. Listen. Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon.
“When you talk to yourself, what if the person you’re talking to isn’t really you?” Features a minotaur-like monster, plus Danny Pink, a teacher at Coal Hill School. Anderson (not his first appearance by the way). "A complete departure for me in terms of writing Doctor Who. A tiny guest cast, no CGI. It's the story of a date and the Doctor having what appears to be a mild nervous breakdown. There's a little germ of Coupling in it. It's actually quite a scary one. I sometimes wonder: "What does the Doctor do when there's nothing going on? Does he go and find something to poke a stick at?" Of course he must. Essentially it's downtime for the Doctor. But don't worry, it involves a monster."

5. Time Heist Written by Steve Thompson. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon.
The Doctor and Clara come face to face with the mysterious Ms Delphox. "It's like a heist movie done with Doctor Who. It's got a cracking monster in it, one of Neill Gorton's finest creations. And Keeley Hawes."

6.The Caretaker. Written by Gareth Roberts. Directed by Paul Murphy.
The Doctor is Coal Hill School's caretaker. Why? "An absolute hoot of an episode with some surprisingly serious bits in it. If you did know somebody like the Doctor and you did think it was okay to slip away with him, what effect would that have on your life? What would that do to the people around you? I sit and watch this one to cheer myself up. I suppose it's not unlike The Lodger in certain respects."

7. Kill The Moon. Written by Peter Harness. Directed by Paul Wilmshurst.
Partially filmed in Lanzarote, sadly not the follow up to Planet of Fire AFAIK! "Proper drama. With monsters and all the Doctor Who stuff that you could want. It's probably quite a big statement of where we are now with the show. This might be where you can argue that the new approach is, for the first time, seen uncluttered by any of the old approach. It's very strong. And there's a callback to a past episode. Sort of. You'll see."

8. Mummy on the Orient Express. Written by Jamie Mathieson. Directed by Paul Wilmshurst.
Guest cast includes Frank Skinner’s and Singer-songwriter Foxes. "Brilliant script. Brilliant idea for a monster. It looks stunning in a very glamorous way. And it has Foxes singing. There's a callback to something from Matt's first series. Sometimes I play a long game. And sometimes I just think "We never actually tied that off...shall we just go and sort that now?" Usually because I think it would be incredibly funny. I like the idea that the Doctor takes that long. "Yes, I'll be there in a moment..." Several years later..."

9. Flatline. Written by Jamie Mathieson. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon.
People are going missing and strange graffiti is appearing. Meanwhile, the Doctor finds himself in a shrinking TARDIS.  "It's a horror story. It starts off with a very .... idea and becomes really quite frightening by the end. A scary one. A proper scary one with one of our best ever sight gags in it. It runs throughout the episode and the climax of this particular gag, I think, is just glorious. I remember reading it out at the read through and everyone was just clapping and cheering at Jamie Mathieson's idea."

10. Child's Play. Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce. Directed by Sheree Folkson.
Last episode of the series to be filmed, the cast will feature child actors. "It's a beautiful script; it's really lyrical and poetic, and boldly so. A fairytale, but not in the sense that I've tended to write a fairytale. Heartfelt, eloquent, quite, quite different. The main visual idea is so clever. I think it's going to be a stunner."

11 & 12. The Gates of Paradise/Death in Heaven. Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Rachel Talalay.
A two-part finale. Features Cybermen and UNIT. The Doctor also has to contend with the mysterious Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere. "The finale. Quite a strong emotional story to this. It's about Clara and the Doctor and the fact that the way they interact might not be healthy for everyone around them. That sounds very bleak but don't worry, there's lots of nonsense in it too. It's high octane action adventure, with Cybermen. And some proper UNIT stuff."

Some of the titles are speculation. I still believe we'll see The Master, but he's being kept firmly under wraps. There is a story arc through the series.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:55 am

Crazy theory time, but I believe that Moffat may just do it. What if the Gatekeeper is the first (onscreen) female incarnation of the Master?

Nope, I don't believe it either.

The Rani perhaps?
Sil?
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Perhaps she's an acolyte of The Master?
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:03 am

You know, with all the hype going on concerning news from this year's Comic Con, it just seems a bit odd that after Doctor Who has dominated Comic Con for the last five years, this year they have almost no presence at all.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:37 pm

They're going for global domination this year.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm

It'll be interesting to see how viral the planned world tour goes on each of its stops, and whether they would have gotten more mileage out of Comic Con.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 am

As of the day after tomorrow, we will be down to three weeks before the start of Series 8. It's been a long wait since Christmas, but we're nearly there!
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm out on the evening of 23rd August, but will catch up with Deep Breath again the following day.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:58 pm

So we can all post our thoughts on the full plot and spoil the whole thing for you?
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 pm

The clue was in the word "again", Slow Kidney.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 am

I'll take that as a "yes," then.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Patrick wrote:As of the day after tomorrow, we will be down to three weeks before the start of Series 8.  It's been a long wait since Christmas, but we're nearly there!
w00t!
The" co="Ordinator wrote:I'm out on the evening of 23rd August, but will catch up with Deep Breath again the following day.
We will be in foreign parts, however there is satellite and we can get the beeb!
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Awards : Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Poster10
Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Hope you enjoy it jenkins. And your holiday.  cheers 

And, as much as you may want, you can't spoil it for me Slow Kidney. I could do so for you, but won't. Unless you can't resist clicking on this tag...............

Spoiler:
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Curses! Foiled again.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:25 pm

The" co="Ordinator wrote:Hope you enjoy it jenkins. And your holiday.  cheers 

Thank you - anticipation is building Smile bounce 
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Awards : Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Poster10
Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:26 am

Christmas Special to be filmed next month - Moffat is only just finishing it off now, there's a surprise: not.

They're hoping to start on Series 9 before Christmas, maybe even straight after the Special. I believe it will be Moffat's swansong.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 am

C=O, do you think DW is now (more or less) fixed to an autumn broadcast so series nine will be shown in autumn 2015? I'd be very happy if this was the case (I mean broadcast each autumn rather than moving about the year with split series and so on).
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Kindes10
Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:18 am

Logically yes, certainly for this year and next. As and when Moffat leaves, who knows what the BBC plan.

I'm still half expecting a special to coincide with Easter 2015/10 years of Nu Who.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:03 am

Five years for Moffat, four total series plus a special, and overseeing two Doctors. That's about on a par with what RTD did in the role. So, the operative question is: who will be the next producer?
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:42 am

Like I've long said, Chibbers is the ideal man for the job IMO.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 am

The wrote:Like I've long said, Chibbers is the ideal man for the job IMO.
I have no view on who should be the next producer (mainly because I know nothing about television production!) but I can imagine the howls of outrage from some sections of fandom were he to become producer...  

Mind you, whoever gets the job there will be some who consider it to be the worst appointment in the programme's entire fifty year history while others insist that the new incumbent will be the saviour of Doctor Who after the 'disaster of Moffat'.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Kindes10
Series 8 news and beyond - may contain spoilers! - Page 8 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:10 am

I would have thought Toby Whithouse (Being Human) would be a name in consideration.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnstone McGuckian Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 pm

I think it'll be somebody that hasn't written WHO yet, they'll probably take the 'entirely different' approach.

Last edited by Johnstone McGuckian on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Johnstone McGuckian
Johnstone McGuckian
Youngster Mod

Number of posts : 1722
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:36 am

The "Entirely Different" approach is, I think, a given.

My prediction: once Moffat's departure is formally announced (probably sometime in 2015), speculation as to who will replace him will begin in earnest. And in certain internet haunts (Gallifrey Base), for every name floated as a potential showrunner, a minimum of 10 people will chime in to say that's the worst suggestion in the world because (fill in the blank with an entirely pedantic, skewed world view answer), and if (insert name of person being vilified) is actually chosen to executive produce Doctor Who, I will not only stop watching the show, it will mean the end of civilization as we know it. (You simply must add some hyperbole to a statement like that if you're going to post it on the internet.)

Prediction No. 2: when Moffat's successor is formally named, and a transition period is planned out, certain internet haunts (Gallifrey Base) will go into nuclear meltdown over the number of episodes being produced, the idea that such an untalented hack is going to produce the show, and how many television screens are going beaten with a hammer before this situation gets rectified.

And then Series 10 will roll around in 2016, and we'll all love it.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next