Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion

+10
Nick Barlow
Hacky
Lee Carey
Sid Seadevil
Zoltar
konstantin
stanmore
Patrick
Rich Flair
The Co=Ordinator
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 am

I think this calls for another Top Three! Very Happy
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Person10
A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion

Post by Lee Carey Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:09 am

Have we done a series by series top three for the Davies era (with all the Christmas specials added to the year of specials as one separate series)? I think it'd be very interesting, especially in comparison to what we felt about those stories from the time.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Awards : A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Poster10
A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Creato10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:10 am

Just set up a Nu-Who Top 3. Effectively the 5 series plus the specials.

It may be found here. Smile
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 am

Lee Carey wrote:
Nick Barlow wrote:For me, it's both - I think she's written badly, and I don't think Gillan's anywhere near as good an actress as any of her recent predecessors.
Everyone keeps saying she's badly written, but then never actually backs up any proof of this statement beyond her inappropriate humour at inopportune moments-- which is actually characterisation, not bad writing.

For me, Amy is not the problem. I think Karen does a fine job.

For me, the problem is Rory. He's a bland and uninteresting character, and as portrayed by Arthur, he's passive and whimpy.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:52 am

For me, the difference between Amy and Rory is that she's a collection of one-liners and weird deliveries, whereas he comes across as a much more rounded character. I'd rather have passive and wimpy than weird and bored!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:00 am

Patrick wrote:
Lee Carey wrote:
Nick Barlow wrote:For me, it's both - I think she's written badly, and I don't think Gillan's anywhere near as good an actress as any of her recent predecessors.
Everyone keeps saying she's badly written, but then never actually backs up any proof of this statement beyond her inappropriate humour at inopportune moments-- which is actually characterisation, not bad writing.

For me, Amy is not the problem. I think Karen does a fine job.

For me, the problem is Rory. He's a bland and uninteresting character, and as portrayed by Arthur, he's passive and whimpy.
Whereas I like Rory and find him perfectly interesting while I find Amy far too 'in your face'. I just feel I wouldn't like to meet her in real life. I'd be expecting her to attack me (verbally, not physically!) all the time. I find her rather aggressive and I don't like that.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Kindes10
A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:19 am

Lee Carey wrote:Having rewatched the entire new series over the course of the last couple of years, I'd disagree with that-- I now think Billie to be the worst actress playing a companion over the last few years, and much of her success in retrospect was acting opposite an actor as good as Christopher Eccleston-- her acting in series two was nowhere near as good as that in series one, and I find her unwatchable outside Dr Who. Freema, meanwhile, gets a lot of unnecessary criticism, in part due to following Billie. She's actually a really good actress, and while there are one or two scenes from early in series three where she comes across as a tad overwhelmed by her surroundings, I rate her now as better than Billie, and feel she's improving all the time now in Law & Order: UK. Catherine Tate, meanwhile, wins respect through sheer force of personality, and again, I'd hesitate before saying she was either better written or a better actress than Amy/Karen Gillan.
I'll certainly grant that Billie was nowhere near as good in Series 2 than she was in the first, but I think the C=O's on to something with his suggestion that it was more the way Rose and the Doctor's characters were drawn - rather than any genuinely serious qualitative drop acting-wise.

As for Freema, as you'll doubtless remember Lee, I could be found flying hither, there and yon defending her against the likes of Sir/Mister Kelsey and his ilk. My remarks regarding Karen being at Freema's level might well have been expressed better - but they were by no means a slight against either actress. I merely meant that here, in Series 5, Karen is at about the same level of experience and confidence, ability-wise as Freema was the begging of her time with the show. A good, if inexperienced actress, who displays genuine promise. Freema has made good on that promise by getting, in my opinion, better with every role since DW. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Karen won't progress in exactly the same way.

So in reality, our views aren't really that far apart at all. It's mainly just down to, my, lack of clarity in my original post.

As for what the GallifreyBase mob calls you - don't give them a second thought. I wouldn't if it were me. Smile

Last edited by Sid Seadevil on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : To remove the inappropriate "m" I kept adding to Freeman's name)
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

Lee Carey wrote:Saw it yesterday at the BFI showing, and thought it brilliant. Very unlike Davies' Christmas specials, this is equally funny, very sentimental and incredibly christmassy, and very un-Doctor Who-ish in many ways. If Runaway Bride was Doctor Who's attempt at screwball comedy, then A Christmas Carol is the same programme's take on Frank Capra-- for all there are happy endings and proof of the goodness in all people, at the heart of things there is still a huge well of darkness.

Standout moments are the wee of the latest Star Trek film in how the starship's control room is shot (complete with far too much lens flare); the Doctor's proof that he knows Santa; and his total inability to understand romantic human relationships in marriage to Marilyn Munroe...

Dr Who and sci-fi purists are going to hate this, but I loved it and as a result will probably steer well clear of any message boards once this has transmitted.

How would you rate it compared to the other Xmas specials? List!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 am

Rich Flair wrote:
How would you rate it compared to the other Xmas specials? List!

It's really hard to compare because it is so unlike any other special-- although that said I think all the specials have been very different from each other in tone and subject matter to make them all incomparable with each other. In terms of being a very unusual Doctor Who story, I'd say it's reminiscent to the Runaway Bride, but where that was aping 30's screwball comedies such as Bringing Up Baby, A Christmas Carol is far closer to being a Frank Capra film.

At this moment in time I'd say it's quite possibly my favourite Christmas episode and rate it alongside The Christmas Invasion, still in retrospect Davies best Christmas special (although I have to say I don't count End of Time in with the other Christmas specials).

Sorry, that probably doesn't help does it.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Creato10

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 am

If A Christmas Carol is genuinely Capra-esque, I'm giddily excited.
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:35 pm

My mate who went to see this earlier in the week popped by this evening, and gave me a full lowdown of the episode. He did not enjoy of "A Christmas Carol".

Having said that, when we watched a special preview of "Midnight" together he hated that whereas I adored it. So I'm pretty sure I'll love it! Razz

FWIW, his favourite Christmas Special by a mile is "Voyage of the Damned"
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, Voyage of the Damned is the best Xmas special so far, and Midnight is over-rated, so maybe I'll hate 'A Christmas Carol' as well. No

Luckily for me series 5 has got new Who out of my system, so I haven't been particularly excited about the Xmas episode anyway - I haven't even seen the trailer yet.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Trailer for "A Christmas Carol" that can hopefully be viewed worldwide.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/23/anglophenia.jsp?bc_id=2095
Judging from this trailer, I could not believe how "Old School" the look and feel of this story appears to be. I could imagine Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in full 1979 mode wandering around in the background, and not be out of place at all.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:My mate who went to see this earlier in the week popped by this evening, and gave me a full lowdown of the episode. He did not enjoy of "A Christmas Carol".

Having said that, when we watched a special preview of "Midnight" together he hated that whereas I adored it. So I'm pretty sure I'll love it! Razz

FWIW, his favourite Christmas Special by a mile is "Voyage of the Damned"

Voyage of the Damned was mostly drivel. Your friend must be some sort of freakish outlier. I can't imagine many people actually liking it.

Rich Flair wrote:Well, Voyage of the Damned is the best Xmas special so far, and Midnight is over-rated, so maybe I'll hate 'A Christmas Carol' as well. No

Er, um. I mean, it had its moments, of course. Smile

Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Number of posts : 83
Awards : A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Creato10

Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Hacky wrote:

Voyage of the Damned was mostly drivel. Your friend must be some sort of freakish outlier. I can't imagine many people actually liking it.

AI of 86, dude!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Hacky wrote:Your friend must be some sort of freakish outlier.

Your perceptive skills do you proud Hacky! lol!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Rich Flair wrote:
Hacky wrote:

AI of 86, dude!

I concede that it is conceivable that more people than you and C=O's mate might have appreciated the episode. Now here's my chance to make a complete idiot of myself and deride the great uneducated masses who dared to like a story I wasn't particularly fond of....

Nah. Internet windup is a full-time job and I'm afraid I don't have the time or skills for it. Oh and on a completely unrelated note, does Spara still post hereabouts?
Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspadistra Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:17 pm

The Christmas Invasion is still the best Christmas ep, so far as I'm concerned.

*double-take* Hacky!
Aspadistra
Aspadistra
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1460
A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacky Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Aspadistra wrote:The Christmas Invasion is still the best Christmas ep, so far as I'm concerned.

*double-take* Hacky!

Yes, I've been making the rounds lately. I stopped by the Crater of Needles around our Thanksgiving holiday and I saw that you were surprised to see me pop up there, but then I got busy with work again.

Just dropped in on the Milk Bar too. Couldn't resist opportunity to Photoshop C=O.

Hacky
Hacky
Not-quite-wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:59 pm

My local paper, The Denver Post, has an article on A Christmas Carol.

CLICK! Be advised there's some mild spoilers contained in the article.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

A Christmas Carol. Pre-transmission discussion - Page 3 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Voyage of the Damned had Kylie and wasn't anywhere near as bad as people seem to believe. Plus, did I mention it had Kylie in a maid's outfit...?

Christmas Invasion is still my personal favourite though.*

*I actually try to turn my critical thinking circuits off when it comes to the Christmas specials though - it's the holidays and I'm prepared to cut the production team some slack. I actually welcome some light, frothy and undemanding fun from my Christmas Day telly*
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:*I actually try to turn my critical thinking circuits off when it comes to the Christmas specials though - it's the holidays and I'm prepared to cut the production team some slack. I actually welcome some light, frothy and undemanding fun from my Christmas Day telly*

Well, quite!

I may not have loved Voyage of the Damned mid-series, but for Xmas day it was just what was needed. It's worth bearing in mind that people tend to watch the Xmas specials drunk!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 am

Exactly. Silly, undemanding fun for a silly, inebriated day. Tis the very definition of good Christmas telly!
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:05 am

Rich Flair wrote:It's worth bearing in mind that people tend to watch the Xmas specials drunk!

Do they? Have you any statistical evidence to substantiate this? Do BARB have a P*issed AI?
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:09 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Do they? Have you any statistical evidence to substantiate this? Do BARB have a P*issed AI?
If BARB don't have such a thing - then they ruddy well should have!
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next