Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate "Day of the Moon"

+10
Zoltar
The Browncoat Cat
Sid Seadevil
stanmore
Jennyjenkins
Lee Carey
Nick Barlow
barnaby morbius
Rich Flair
Patrick
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Was "Day of the Moon"?

Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_left43%Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_right 43% 
[ 6 ]
Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_left29%Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_right 29% 
[ 4 ]
Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_left21%Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_right 21% 
[ 3 ]
Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_left7%Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_right 7% 
[ 1 ]
Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_left0%Rate "Day of the Moon" Bar_right 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

Rate "Day of the Moon" Empty Rate "Day of the Moon"

Post by Patrick Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 am

Episode 2 of Series 6 airs on Saturday in both the UK and North America. So, tell us what you thought of the conclusion to the two part story that introduced this new series of Doctor Who.

*This thread will open following transmission of "Day of the Moon" in the UK. North American members perusing this thread should beware of potential spoilers until the episode airs on this side of the Atlantic.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate "Day of the Moon" Person10

Rate "Day of the Moon" Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Rate "Day of the Moon" Empty Re: Rate "Day of the Moon"

Post by Rich Flair Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 am

Some stuff happened. I don't know what it all means.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Awards : Rate "Day of the Moon" Poster10
Rate "Day of the Moon" Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 am

hhmmmmmmm
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Rate "Day of the Moon" Lionhe10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 am

That felt like someone took a couple of episodes, pieced together scenes from them at random then got a child with ADD to edit them together. A confusing and disjointed mess that seemed to have forgotten that a story isn't just the interesting and 'iconic' scenes, but the bits inbetween that explain the why and how as well.
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213
Rate "Day of the Moon" Person10

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:25 am

Nick Barlow wrote:That felt like someone took a couple of episodes, pieced together scenes from them at random then got a child with ADD to edit them together. A confusing and disjointed mess that seemed to have forgotten that a story isn't just the interesting and 'iconic' scenes, but the bits inbetween that explain the why and how as well.
That reads like a review of Final Crisis-- which, strangely enough is what the storytelling in this episode reminded me of. Moffat seems to have taken a leaf out of the Grant Morrison school of writing, and excised all the fat out of this script, focusing on the action and mystery moments and being very image driven. But all the plot beats are there, they just need a bit of thinking about. The only questions that remain are the ones that run throughout the season, many of which I imagine will be answered by the final episode.

Not quite as good as part one for me, mainly down to the feeling that this is part two of a thirteen part story, but still audacious and unlike anything else on tv.

4/5-- Great scenes from all the regulars: what did happen to Amy when she was kidnapped; Rory's love for Amy and River the action hero being just some of the character highlights.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Rate "Day of the Moon" Creato10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyjenkins Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:04 pm

brain a bit full, I need to rewatch then do the ratey thing confused
Jennyjenkins
Jennyjenkins
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2079
Rate "Day of the Moon" Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:49 pm

This series is requiring you to put a shift in, isn't it? This story has shown exactly how light the tune-in-next-time moments in RTD's era were.

I would say that even though this story may prove to be less than the sum of its parts (though I'd say that we can't say that for certain til the series finale), the parts were pretty special. The sequences in the children's home were some of the best kitsch horror scenes in the show's history.
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Amazingly, I fell asleep this afternoon and didn''t awake until after the episode had finished. Cue some desperate scrabbling around to acquire a copy and then the time to watch it

It's a 4/5 for me. I agree with Lee I also picked-up a definite Grant Morrison/Final Crisis vibe to the story telling/structure.

If I had one real point of dissatisfaction, it was that the Silence ultimately proved less than the promise of their initial menace. If this was deliberate misdirection on Moffat's part to make them appear to be the Series 6 "Big Bad" - then it was highly successful. But whatever way, it plays out, they took a fall surprisingly easily.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:20 pm

I don't think that this is the last we have seen of the Silence. In fact, I don't think they were actually defeated at the end of this story. Seriously set back as they can no longer use Earth and the Human Race, but I am sure they have their claws deep into other worlds and other civilisations. Also, I don't think any of the questions posed in episode one have been answered, and won't be until we have seen all 13 episodes of this series, and it all comes together in one big satisfying whole.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:40 pm

In certain ways the Silence seem somewhat akin to the Krillitane, parasitic invaders who exploit rather than rule directly. I honestly am not convinced at this point that they'll have much of a hand or profile in what's yet to come this series. The more I ponder it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that Moffat has sold us a brilliantly misleading bill of goods as to their importance.

Of course if I'm proven wrong - fair enough. But somehow I don't think I will be.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Excellent episode, loved Nixon essentially taking the place of the psychic paper, "Hail to the chief" and all. Initial score 4/5.

The Browncoat Cat wrote:I don't think that this is the last we have seen of the Silence. In fact, I don't think they were actually defeated at the end of this story. Seriously set back as they can no longer use Earth and the Human Race, but I am sure they have their claws deep into other worlds and other civilisations.
Oh, no doubt. We can assume they were on planet Saturnyne, no reason to think they're not on multitudes of worlds and simply haven't been discovered yet.

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Also, I don't think any of the questions posed in episode one have been answered, and won't be until we have seen all 13 episodes of this series, and it all comes together in one big satisfying whole.
Oh, I don't know. A couple of them might've been. But there's plenty of mystery left to be revealed.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:49 pm

How to put my thoughts to words...

Right now, I'm prepared to declare that Steven Moffat may well be the best writer of our time. If time travel is a capability of the Doctor, Moffat is the single best author to show, rather than tell, how bizarre, unsettling and revelational time travel can be. I can't think, offhand, of another author in the history of this show who has made the time travel concept of the show so central to the plot itself. And I'm not talking about wibbley-whimey, timey-whimey.

I found myself comparing this story to growing up watching classic episodes of Mission: Impossible, as lame and American a comparison as that may be. I say that because these opening two episodes have forced me to pay attention to every moment of the show for clues about the larger narrative beyond these two episodes- it's that cinematic.

I frankly loved this story. I'll post more in the rate the two part story thread, but I'm giving it a four. And I suspect by the time we get to episode 13, that score may be revised upward.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Sun May 01, 2011 3:46 am

I don't know. After really liking last week's episode I find myself feeling vaguely uneasy and unsatisfied by this week's. This is how I felt last season, in particular with Moffat penned episodes. I again have a horrible feeling that Steven Moffat's vision of Doctor Who is simply not for me. I loved his episodes under RTD as showrunner and am certainly not suggesting he is other than a brilliant writer - and I thought some of the bits within the episode were great - it's just that overall it's not sitting quite right with me. I think the fact that I catch myself thinking 'Well, he'll probably only do three years, four at the most.' is perhaps rather telling. We'll see. Again, I'm not suggesting it's other than very good.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Rate "Day of the Moon" Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun May 01, 2011 4:16 am

That was the worst portrayal of Nixon I've ever seen, and not just the actor, the writing as well. I don't know who the charming charismatic bloke that's good with the small talk is, but that's not Nixon.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 am

Artistic licence, Rich. Wouldn't be the first time - won't be the last.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun May 01, 2011 4:30 am

Well, what's the point? What's artistic about writing a Nixon that's totally unlike Nixon? He's a badly written cypher, there to help the plot along. Should have used the psychic paper, or written another character.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 am

I don't know what to make of Nixon in that. On one hand, it seems to be part of the rather troubling cuddly-ification of complex political figures that was started with Churchill, on the other to present Nixon as an out-an-out good guy... well, it takes some balls...
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun May 01, 2011 6:10 am

Well, I guess it started with the Third Doctor being great mates with Chariman Mao.

Next series: Laughs with Hitler!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 am

The portrayal of Nixon wasn't the only issue with Day of the Moon. It was littered with wrongnity.

On the other hand, I really didn't care because it pulled me along at breakneck speed and I really enjoyed the ride.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sun May 01, 2011 8:18 am

Rich Flair wrote:That was the worst portrayal of Nixon I've ever seen, and not just the actor, the writing as well. I don't know who the charming charismatic bloke that's good with the small talk is, but that's not Nixon.
That would be The Doctor's influence there. As The Master said, he is a man who makes people better. In his presence, Tricky Dickie is a charming charismatic bloke that is good with small talk. Which means The Doctor must have been there in 1968 running Nixon's campaign for the Presidency.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun May 01, 2011 8:37 am

Nice try!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 am

Maybe Nixon really was a charismatic and charming man who was good with smalltalk until the Doctor told him that he couldn't trust anyone and that he should tape record everything.

You know, if Dicky was under the influence of a Silent at the time, those things would have become post-hypnotic suggestions and Nixon would have based his life on them.

So...the Doctor is really to blame.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 am

Rich Flair wrote:That was the worst portrayal of Nixon I've ever seen, and not just the actor, the writing as well. I don't know who the charming charismatic bloke that's good with the small talk is, but that's not Nixon.
The actor's take on Nixon's voice was fairly ineffective, but "charming charismatic bloke"? Nah. He just wasn't yelling "Aroo!" and trying to rule the planet from his giant robot body. This is Nixon presented as just a guy, rather than the more arch portrayals we're used to seeing.

stanmore wrote:I don't know what to make of Nixon in that. On one hand, it seems to be part of the rather troubling cuddly-ification of complex political figures that was started with Churchill, on the other to present Nixon as an out-an-out good guy... well, it takes some balls...
Actually, I found it amusing and unexpected. Your first thought is Nixon would be a paranoid negative character and here he is actually being helpful. I don't think he was cuddly at all, just sort of befuddled, utterly out of his depth and going along for the ride. I seriously doubt this will change the perception of Nixon's history.

Dave Webb wrote:Maybe Nixon really was a charismatic and charming man who was good with smalltalk until the Doctor told him that he couldn't trust anyone and that he should tape record everything.

You know, if Dicky was under the influence of a Silent at the time, those things would have become post-hypnotic suggestions and Nixon would have based his life on them.

So...the Doctor is really to blame.
I liked his bit about recording everything, as if to say Nixon acted that way cos he was paranoid about invisible aliens following him around.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 am

Nixon couldn't walk into a room in which he wasn't expected and talk to people he didn't know if his life depended on it. The Doctor Who portrayal had no nervousness or unease, and no sweat. That wasn't Richard Nixon we saw on screen, it was David Nixon at best.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Rich Flair wrote:Nixon couldn't walk into a room in which he wasn't expected and talk to people he didn't know if his life depended on it. The Doctor Who portrayal had no nervousness or unease, and no sweat. That wasn't Richard Nixon we saw on screen, it was David Nixon at best.
He looked uneasy and nervous to me, just not to a comic degree. Showing him with visible sweat would be silly.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content