Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The All-New Spoiler Thread

+15
stanmore
Zoltar
Aspadistra
Johnstone McGuckian
Nick Barlow
Rich Flair
Simon Watkins
konstantin
barnaby morbius
The Browncoat Cat
Dave Webb
Tessellated Facsimile
andrea
Patrick
The Co=Ordinator
19 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The All-New Spoiler Thread Empty The All-New Spoiler Thread

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:36 am

As filming for Series 7 is about to get underway, here's our all-new spoiler thread. If you don't like spoilers then don't read this thread!
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : The All-New Spoiler Thread Person10
The All-New Spoiler Thread Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

The All-New Spoiler Thread Empty Re: The All-New Spoiler Thread

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 am

The return of the yeti has seemingly been fairly well accepted for a while. Now it appears that 2 weeks location filming in Spain is to take place. Whether the two things are related - well, who knows?
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 am

Dang. I've always maintained a Yeti story in Colorado would be great fun.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

The All-New Spoiler Thread Poster10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:58 am

I think I read a post (by Rich?) about a week ago that indicated that the next series will consist solely of single episodes with no two-parters. Is that right or have I got it all wrong? Or dreamt it! It seems a bit odd if it is the case.

I'd like to see the yeti again. I wonder what twentyfirst century yeti will look like (assuming they are coming back). I don't imagine they'll look quite like the 1960s' version but I hope they won't be too wildly different. I remember they were rather scary, despite their somewhat absurd appearance!
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : The All-New Spoiler Thread Kindes10
The All-New Spoiler Thread Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am

wouldn't Spain be a little warm for the Yeti? confused
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 213
Location : Trapped inside this stupid malfunctioning robot body. Don't any of you EVER read our signature?
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Webb Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

Tessellated Facsimile wrote:wouldn't Spain be a little warm for the Yeti? confused

That all depends on what sort of yeti you're talking about. There are lots of Yetilikes that allegedly live in various climates around the world.

Alternatively, it could be a story set in the heyday of cheap holidays to the costa del sol and we might see Yetis in knotted hanky headgear, sporting union jack shorts and menacing the locals.
Dave Webb
Dave Webb
Mod in Occupancy

Number of posts : 1175
Awards : The All-New Spoiler Thread Poster10

http://unsatirical.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Dave Webb wrote:That all depends on what sort of yeti you're talking about. There are lots of Yetilikes that allegedly live in various climates around the world.
ta for that. I'll google to find out more about the hot climate hairy fellas. Smile

Dave Webb wrote:Alternatively, it could be a story set in the heyday of cheap holidays to the costa del sol and we might see Yetis in knotted hanky headgear, sporting union jack shorts and menacing the locals.
now that I would pay - someone elses - good money to see! lol!
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Location : Trapped inside this stupid malfunctioning robot body. Don't any of you EVER read our signature?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Carry on Yeti Abroad?

Andrea, I believe that Moffat has said all epsiodes will be stand alone. A terrible move IMO, if true.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:13 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Andrea, I believe that Moffat has said all epsiodes will be stand alone. A terrible move IMO, if true.
Indubitably.

Some stories are too big or important to be told in just a single eppy. Plus, I'd have thought two part story's help ensure the peeps watching return the next week to find out what happens. Or have I missed something? confused

I'm beginning to think that mebbe I preferred the way the fella before Moffat did things.
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:49 am

On the whole I tend to agree.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Andrea, I believe that Moffat has said all epsiodes will be stand alone. A terrible move IMO, if true.
Didn't he say that all stories start off as single episode commissions, and only the stories with enough meet in them will then be extended to a two episode commissions.
The plus side to this is that there will be no more padded out stories that were commissioned as two parters, but simply don't have the legs to carry that much screen time, or stories that really needed to be two parters but were only commissioned as one shots. For example Victory of the Daleks would have been much better two parter, whilst Hungry Earth / Cold Blood would have worked better as a single episode.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:On the whole I tend to agree.
Yay! We are of a single mind.
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:49 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Didn't he say that all stories start off as single episode commissions, and only the stories with enough meet in them will then be extended to a two episode commissions.
Well if he did say that, and that is the system they used, then it was still flawed. Cos we still ended up with some two parters that didn't have the "meat" in them to carry the length.

The Browncoat Cat wrote:The plus side to this is that there will be no more padded out stories that were commissioned as two parters, but simply don't have the legs to carry that much screen time, or stories that really needed to be two parters but were only commissioned as one shots. For example Victory of the Daleks would have been much better two parter, whilst Hungry Earth / Cold Blood would have worked better as a single episode.
[/justify]
See...flawed system. Meebe I'm looking at this wrong - but it seems to me that the best possible two part story would be a story that was designed and intended to be that way from the beginning.

I don't get how you can look at a bunch of proposals for single eppy stories and basically just jab a finger at some of them and say "yeah - those will work better as two parters". confused

-Don't know nearly enough about the technical side of things. If I'm being stupid, ignore me-
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:10 am

Tessellated Facsimile wrote:Yay! We are of a single mind.

As opposed to simple mind..........
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:42 am

If memory serves, the Moff's comments on this issue of the two parters came down to money. There's apparently always been a belief that a couple of two part stories per season saved on the budget, due to the fact that fewer sets had to be constructed, and fewer location shoots had to be scheduled. However, when he took at a look at the actual production expenditures, he found that there was, in fact, no real savings being realized.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

The All-New Spoiler Thread Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 am

Tessellated Facsimile wrote:
The Browncoat Cat wrote:Didn't he say that all stories start off as single episode commissions, and only the stories with enough meet in them will then be extended to a two episode commissions.
Well if he did say that, and that is the system they used, then it was still flawed. Cos we still ended up with some two parters that didn't have the "meat" in them to carry the length.

As I said, it is essentially to stop this sort of thing happening in the future. Although Patrick is of course correct, there is no practical saving between a single episode story and a double episode story. I have never understood the reasoning behind this myth. They might need to build less sets, but they still have to pay actors and crew the same amount of money per episode. I should imagine that the writer gets more for a two part script as well.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Well everything everyone's said makes sense. I suppose we won't really know how wise going with single episode story's are until we get the chance to actually see them. But I still think it's an odd decision.
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:48 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:
Didn't he say that all stories start off as single episode commissions, and only the stories with enough meet in them will then be extended to a two episode commissions.
The plus side to this is that there will be no more padded out stories that were commissioned as two parters, but simply don't have the legs to carry that much screen time, or stories that really needed to be two parters but were only commissioned as one shots. For example Victory of the Daleks would have been much better two parter, whilst Hungry Earth / Cold Blood would have worked better as a single episode.
Well, if that is what he meant, it sounds like rather a good idea for the reasons you give. I would regret a deliberate loss of all two parters but if the idea is to have as many, or as few, two parters as seems appropriate once initial drafts of stories are submitted or, er, whatever (yes, I am getting more than a little vague on the technicalities here!) it could work really well.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : The All-New Spoiler Thread Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:44 pm

andrea wrote:
The Browncoat Cat wrote:
Well, if that is what he meant, it sounds like rather a good idea for the reasons you give. I would regret a deliberate loss of all two parters but if the idea is to have as many, or as few, two parters as seems appropriate once initial drafts of stories are submitted or, er, whatever (yes, I am getting more than a little vague on the technicalities here!) it could work really well.
As I understand it, under RTD, and previously under Mr Moffatt as well, the writer is given the germ of the idea and how many episodes he or she had to expand it into.
Now, the way I would do it is only be given the germ of the idea and send the writers away to plot out their episode. Most writer might come back saying that their first draft runs for forty five minutes sweet as a nut. Maybe a writer will say their first draft is sixty-five minutes, but will play down to forty-five. Fine says I, go and finish your first draft. One writers will say their first draft is running at eighty minutes and maybe longer. Another might say they have got the perfect two parter, both episodes forty five minutes. They would also be told to go off and write their first draft. The final writer might say that they have written a five part mini-series with spin-off potential. He or she would be told to try and write a two episode first draft, and the script editor would be put on stand-by.
The fun really starts when the first draft comes in. If I am lucky, then I will have seven single episode stories and three two parters. I would probably end up with five filmable single episode stories, one story that needs bulking up, one heavily padded two episode story, one filmable two episode story and a bloated two episode that needs filleting.
So, by the time I had finished my two episode story, and all the arc stuff that needs to be finessed into the other stories, I would have the second drafts from my writers, that would consist of seven single episode stories and two double episode stories, in other words the usual make-up of a series of Doctor Who.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 am

Nowadays they over-commission stories. Cornell for sure had a full script for (IIRC) Series 5.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessellated Facsimile Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:12 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:Nowadays they over-commission stories. Cornell for sure had a full script for (IIRC) Series 5.
They need more scripts from Cornell in the series. He's brilliant!
Tessellated Facsimile
Tessellated Facsimile
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 am

45 minutes of Victory of the Daleks was more than enough for me.

i have a really good "spoiler" but unfortunately i can't tell anyone! Crying or Very sad
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
The All-New Spoiler Thread Lionhe10

Back to top Go down

Post by konstantin Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Any news if they are planing for cybermat babies in s7?

The All-New Spoiler Thread 398572_307288552660832_218289551560733_853871_1748940703_n

konstantin
konstantin
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 2074
Awards : The All-New Spoiler Thread Creato10
The All-New Spoiler Thread Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:27 am

That is awesome konstantin.

barnaby morbius wrote:i have a really good "spoiler" but unfortunately i can't tell anyone! Crying or Very sad

Aargh!

Well filming is underway and it looks like Mark Williams is on location.

The All-New Spoiler Thread Markwilliams

I've been speculating that the Spanish filming could be in Almeria. Mini-Hollywood is based there (visited it and the Indiana Jones location some 20 years ago) and would make an ideal location if they were going to do a 'Western' episode. If BBC America are putting some money into the production budget, then that becomes more likely.

Rob Cavazos will be appearing in the Spanish shoot.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:06 am

Mark Williams on location this morning.

The All-New Spoiler Thread Cgesq