Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate "A Christmas Carol"

+15
Lee Carey
Exterminieren
stanmore
Kate
andrea
Sid Seadevil
The Co=Ordinator
The Browncoat Cat
Zoltar
Rich Flair
Dave Webb
Johnstone McGuckian
barnaby morbius
Nick Barlow
Patrick
19 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What did you think of "A Christmas Carol"?

Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_left44%Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_right 44% 
[ 7 ]
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_left25%Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_right 25% 
[ 4 ]
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_left19%Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_right 19% 
[ 3 ]
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_left6%Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_right 6% 
[ 1 ]
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_left6%Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Bar_right 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 16

Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Empty Re: Rate "A Christmas Carol"

Post by stanmore Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm

sparacus wrote:I gave it 1/5 but really it deserved 0/5. Sub-Tim Burtonish banal fare with a confused plot . Unengaging to the extent that I kept switching over to Emmerdale.

....but engaging enough that you kept switching back...
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1669
Awards :

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:44 pm

But you must admit Emperor - as a fish deity yourself that the alien aquatic life was nice to look at.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Poster10
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:53 am

sparacus wrote:I gave it 1/5 but really it deserved 0/5. Sub-Tim Burtonish banal fare with a confused plot .
This story did not have a confused plot. It was simple linear storytelling and anyone who found it complicated or confusing should not be allowd to watch anything more challenging that Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:05 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote:This story did not have a confused plot. It was simple linear storytelling and anyone who found it complicated or confusing should not be allowd to watch anything more challenging that Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom.
Hmmmm...Cat, we are talking about Spara here. It was probably the lack of references to Absinthe, that threw him off balance.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:04 am

The Browncoat Cat wrote:This story did not have a confused plot. It was simple linear storytelling and anyone who found it complicated or confusing should not be allowd to watch anything more challenging that Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom.

It was full of holes, like Moffat's timey-wimey stories usually are.
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by sparacus Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:59 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:
sparacus wrote:I gave it 1/5 but really it deserved 0/5. Sub-Tim Burtonish banal fare with a confused plot .
This story did not have a confused plot. It was simple linear storytelling and anyone who found it complicated or confusing should not be allowd to watch anything more challenging that Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom.

It wasn't Doctor Who. It bore no resemblance in style and production values at all to classic stories such as 'The Daemons' or 'The Seeds of Doom'. It was more akin to 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.
sparacus
sparacus
The Emperor

Number of posts : 356
Awards : Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Lionhe10

Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Poster10
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:06 pm

sparacus wrote:It wasn't Doctor Who. It bore no resemblance in style and production values at all to classic stories such as 'The Daemons' or 'The Seeds of Doom'. It was more akin to 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.
I must take issue. Clearly it was Doctor Who. Both the opening titles and the Radio Times listing for the programme attest to this.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Carey Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 am

sparacus wrote:

It wasn't Doctor Who. It bore no resemblance in style and production values at all to classic stories such as 'The Daemons' or 'The Seeds of Doom'. It was more akin to 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.
But then again, neither the Daemons nor The Seeds of Doom bore any resemblance to The Mind Robber or The Carnival of Monsters, so by your argument, does that mean the Daemons and the Seeds of Doom aren't Doctor Who?

Really, Sparacus, you're talking complete bollocks here and you know it. Doctor Who is one of the few programmes on tv that changes style from story to story, let alone decade to decade, and you really can't pluck two stories and compare them to another to prove one isn't 'proper' Doctor Who. There's no such thing as 'proper' Doctor Who.

Come back when your argument has one iota of substance.
Lee Carey
Lee Carey
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 508
Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Creato10
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by John the Vic Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:13 am

Not meaning to be funny or anything, but has anyone noticed that whereas before, we had RTD writing Doctor Who, and a great many people criticised almost everything he did, saying they would be glad when Steven Moffat took over.. Now that we have Steven Moffat, some are criticising his writing as well.. I know that everyone is different, and also it's not everyone who is saying it, but in regard to those who are, I would like to ask, "Is there any writer or style of writing that you DO actually like?" Whatever happened to simply enjoying the show, instead of nitpicking criticism on every tiny detail? That was one of the big reasons I came to this forum, having left a certain other major one because of the too serious approach to criticism of its members.. If I am speaking out of turn, then let a moderator please feel free to delete this post, and I shan't bother again.. But I just felt I had to say something, as it seems to me that certain people have no intention of giving Moffat, or the show in any context, any chance at all..
John the Vic
John the Vic
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:40 am

Moffat has written some of my favourite stories - but not since he took over the show. He gets every chance - i watch them two or three times. But with the exception of the Eleventh Hour and Vincent there hasn't been anything since he took over that matches up to the previous 5 years. There is a lack of attention to character, and a lack of emotional integrity. And the increasing reliance on timey-wimey means that narratively the characters often have little to do with the plot. Other disappointments include the Dalek redesign.

All I want is for The Moff to produce something as good as Silence of the Library. And if you think any criticism of Moffat round these parts is coming from people who disliked the RTD era, then you're mistaken.*

* apart from Sparacus, but we know what he's like!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 am

I think most wrinklies did like RTD's vision of Doctor Who butsome of us are less keen on Steven Moffat's (others love it). The last series didn't, as a whole, feel quite right to me. This isn't meant as a criticism, just an observation that maybe the overall tone of RTD's Doctor Who suited me better than that of Steven Moffat - possibly because I've always been very ambivalent about fairytales, Peter Pan, Narnia etc. I have no more criticism of the writing, acting or anything else than I did for the RTD series and I iked many episodes. The funny thing is, I loved SM's episodes when set within an RTD series.

And spara is out on his own - as always... Wink

Ah, I see Rich has posted while I wrote this, covering some similar ground but I'll just post what I wrote anyway.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:09 am

And the above two posts pretty much encapsulate the Wrinkly creed, John. Wew accept, welcome and even encourage critism, as long as those doing the critising back their issues up in an open-minded and receptive to differing views manner.

The very fact that there are quiet a number of regulars here who are experiencing problems/misgivings re the style/direction Moffat is taking the show, post RTD era, far from indicates a lack of tolerance from these people or the forum in general. Rather it's simply them doing what we're all here for: putting forwards their personal views of the series safe in the knowledge that they'll neither be attacked nor encouraged - simply listend to.

And rest assured, you need never worry about OW going the unfortunate way of certain larger forums - it simply isn't going to happen. Certainly not while I'm around.

*peers Clint Eastwood-like around the forum*

Smile
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 am

Oh yes, and as for Sparacus - well, just consider him our very own slightlly dotty-but-amusing grumpy old man.

Very Happy
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 am

John the Vic wrote:Not meaning to be funny or anything, but has anyone noticed that whereas before, we had RTD writing Doctor Who, and a great many people criticised almost everything he did, saying they would be glad when Steven Moffat took over.. Now that we have Steven Moffat, some are criticising his writing as well.. I know that everyone is different, and also it's not everyone who is saying it, but in regard to those who are, I would like to ask, "Is there any writer or style of writing that you DO actually like?" Whatever happened to simply enjoying the show, instead of nitpicking criticism on every tiny detail? That was one of the big reasons I came to this forum, having left a certain other major one because of the too serious approach to criticism of its members.. If I am speaking out of turn, then let a moderator please feel free to delete this post, and I shan't bother again.. But I just felt I had to say something, as it seems to me that certain people have no intention of giving Moffat, or the show in any context, any chance at all..

Unfortunately, I think a lot of us predicted that when Moffat took over the production duties, vast sections of fandom who had previously been grousing about RTD would soon start grousing about the Moff. Sparacus seems to prove that prediction accurate.

Lee makes a very good point: I think if you break the eras of the shows history down by who was the producer at the time, you can get a clear indication of how the show has evolved, stylistically, based upon the emphases those producers wished to underscore in the narrative. The show simply changes as it goes along. The Moff's style is simply different than RTD's, and our challenge as viewers is to find what we like in this new style.
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957
Awards : Rate "A Christmas Carol" - Page 5 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

Indeed. Just as it's part of Moffat's ongoing job as Showrunner to navigate a safe course between fan wishes and those of the greater general audience. Look at it as a settling in period for both sides.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 am

That's certainly my view on the matter. Roll on Series 6!
Patrick
Patrick
Fast-Living Admin

Number of posts : 7957

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 am

Patrick wrote:That's certainly my view on the matter. Roll on Series 6!
I concur!
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Browncoat Cat Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:49 pm

John the Vic wrote:Not meaning to be funny or anything, but has anyone noticed that whereas before, we had RTD writing Doctor Who, and a great many people criticised almost everything he did, saying they would be glad when Steven Moffat took over.. Now that we have Steven Moffat, some are criticising his writing as well..
Being the Head Writer/Executive Producer on Doctor Who is like being the England Football Manager or Captain of the English Cricket Team. Everyone thinks they can do a better job, everyone thinks you have lost the plot and everyone knows things will be so much better if another manager/cricketer was doing the job.
The Browncoat Cat
The Browncoat Cat
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 1148
Awards :

http://browncoatcat.gardd-lelog.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Everyone except me. I know I'd be rubbish at the job. Smile
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by John the Vic Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks guys, that's reassuring.. Sorry if it sounded like a moan..
John the Vic
John the Vic
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm

John the Vic wrote:Thanks guys, that's reassuring.. Sorry if it sounded like a moan..
Nothing to apologise for, John. We take some getting used to even at the best of times. Smile
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:32 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:Being the Head Writer/Executive Producer on Doctor Who is like being the England Football Manager or Captain of the English Cricket Team. Everyone thinks they can do a better job, everyone thinks you have lost the plot and everyone knows things will be so much better if another manager/cricketer was doing the job.

No-one round here thinks that. I can't do a better job than Moffat, I don't think he's lost the plot and I think he's the best man for the job.
I just think that he can do better!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

The Browncoat Cat wrote:
John the Vic wrote:Not meaning to be funny or anything, but has anyone noticed that whereas before, we had RTD writing Doctor Who, and a great many people criticised almost everything he did, saying they would be glad when Steven Moffat took over.. Now that we have Steven Moffat, some are criticising his writing as well..
Being the Head Writer/Executive Producer on Doctor Who is like being the England Football Manager or Captain of the English Cricket Team. Everyone thinks they can do a better job, everyone thinks you have lost the plot and everyone knows things will be so much better if another manager/cricketer was doing the job.

I suppose the difference is that people only criticise the England Football Manager or Captain of the English Cricket Team after a run of defeats, people criticise the Doctor Who head honcho for serving up different types of victory....

I sent an article off to CT that was uniformly positive about A Christmas Carol, but on here I spent most of my effort talking about a relatively minor niggle. Sorry. I sometimes forget that people aren't telepathic!
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 pm

I was fascinated to read your positivity in the article. Most feedback we got from members was negative. Far, far more so than for Series 5, which on the whole went down fairly well.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by stanmore Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 am

I've always wanted to write something that generates a few complaints...
stanmore
stanmore
Justified and ancient

Awards :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next