Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

+6
Patrick
millerqueen
Colin Hicks
72lf
Zoltar
Sid Seadevil
10 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Empty Re: Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Post by Zoltar Fri May 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:Having seen the commercial a couple more times I'm convinced that the different costume (and hairstyles) means there's a flashback sequence. And the commercial is all "It's Robin!" there's no telling who the villain is. I am confident that Loren Lester is not voicing the Boy Wonder this time.

Can't wait for these next few hours to pass so I can watch it.
IMDb lists two voice actors: Jeremy Shada (a rather Who-y name) and Crawford Wilson, as the younger and current versions of Robin respectively.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Number of posts : 5371
Awards : Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Person10
Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Poster10
Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Kindes10
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Empty Re: Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Post by Horizon Chaser Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 am

Enjoyed the episode. Yes, it had Robin with a bit of teenage angst (ugh!), but he is at a well-known point in his career. We may later get to see the transformation into Nightwing.

There was plenty in this episode for old Batman fans. The opening musical cues and visual cues homaging the campy 1960's hit show was nice. Same for the closing handshake and pose.

Classic Robin characterisation. Both of them. Very Silver Age.

"Let the scientist go!" got a laugh from me.
Horizon Chaser
Horizon Chaser
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Horizon Chaser Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 am

Next week's episode features Bat-mite. This show is very clearly square in the campy Silver Age vein.

With the previous mention of Batgirl, and Dick Grayson mentioning a "Bat-Family Reunion" I am beginning to wonder if we won't start seeing Ace, Kathy Kane, and even Mogo.
Horizon Chaser
Horizon Chaser
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:Enjoyed the episode. Yes, it had Robin with a bit of teenage angst (ugh!), but he is at a well-known point in his career. We may later get to see the transformation into Nightwing.

There was plenty in this episode for old Batman fans. The opening musical cues and visual cues homaging the campy 1960's hit show was nice. Same for the closing handshake and pose.

Classic Robin characterisation. Both of them. Very Silver Age.

"Let the scientist go!" got a laugh from me.
Aside from the many tips of the hat to the old live-action series, including scaling the side of the building, there was a nice comics reference as well. The older Robin was dressed like the Robin of Earth-2.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat May 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:Next week's episode features Bat-mite. This show is very clearly square in the campy Silver Age vein.

With the previous mention of Batgirl, and Dick Grayson mentioning a "Bat-Family Reunion" I am beginning to wonder if we won't start seeing Ace, Kathy Kane, and even Mogo.
Batwoman wouldn't surprise me at all, especially given the fact that there's a modern version of her active in the comic these days.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Horizon Chaser Sun May 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Horizon Chaser wrote:Next week's episode features Bat-mite. This show is very clearly square in the campy Silver Age vein.

Batwoman wouldn't surprise me at all, especially given the fact that there's a modern version of her active in the comic these days.

Really? Did they bring back Bettye, the original Bat-girl, to don the Batwoman mantle?
Horizon Chaser
Horizon Chaser
Properly wrinkly

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun May 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:Really? Did they bring back Bettye, the original Bat-girl, to don the Batwoman mantle?
Nope, it's a modern version of Kathy Kane. Betty did come back if memory serves, but not as Bat-Girl. She became a character called Flamebird.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sun May 31, 2009 4:44 pm

Horizon Chaser wrote:With the previous mention of Batgirl, and Dick Grayson mentioning a "Bat-Family Reunion" I am beginning to wonder if we won't start seeing Ace, Kathy Kane, and even Mogo.
Got one of those with the latest episode. Very Happy

Spoiler:
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Another episode written by J. M. DeMatteis. Smile

Spoiler:
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:05 am

Just watched the latest episode. Impossible as it would at first appear - the quality of this series just continues to improve.

Unreservedly my favourite animated series of the decade.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Poster10
Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Page 5 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:58 am

It was great to see Jonah Hex again, and the Outsiders as well. Smile
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:30 am

Zoltar wrote:It was great to see Jonah Hex again, and the Outsiders as well. Smile
Agreed. Especially Hex - always a firm favourite of mine.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonsai.Talker Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 am

Very nice episode indeed.

I liked Hex and his horse (reminded me of the Galaxy rangers Wink), Lashina also was awesome. Redonkulous costume, but awesome. I also would love to get my hands on the hammer of justice. Razz

Question: who was the red cyclop alien? It seems I already have seen him somewhere, yet I'm completely unable to remember where. Suspect Maybe it was just his very slight resemblance with Allen the Alien? Hrmm...
Bonsai.Talker
Bonsai.Talker
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Bonsai.Talker wrote:Question: who was the red cyclop alien? It seems I already have seen him somewhere, yet I'm completely unable to remember where. Suspect Maybe it was just his very slight resemblance with Allen the Alien? Hrmm...
That's who he reminded me of actually. Smile I dunno if he's a Silver Age baddie or just a new character for that episode, I'll have to look him up.

EDIT: His name's supposedly "Arges". That's the name of a Cyclopes from Greek myth. I don't see any references yet to him being a DC character beyond his appearance in B&theB.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonsai.Talker Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Zoltar wrote:
That's who he reminded me of actually. Smile I dunno if he's a Silver Age baddie or just a new character for that episode, I'll have to look him up.

Hehehe, I guess that was it, then. Very Happy
Allen, I miss him. *shrugs*

Zoltar wrote:
EDIT: His name's supposedly "Arges". That's the name of a Cyclopes from Greek myth. I don't see any references yet to him being a DC character beyond his appearance in B&theB.

Thanks Wikiman. Very Happy
Bonsai.Talker
Bonsai.Talker
Properly wrinkly

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 am

Zoltar wrote:
Bonsai.Talker wrote:Question: who was the red cyclop alien? It seems I already have seen him somewhere, yet I'm completely unable to remember where. Suspect Maybe it was just his very slight resemblance with Allen the Alien? Hrmm...

I recall him (or an alien very, very like him) popping up here and there in assorted Superman and Green lantern titles during the Silver Age'.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Alan Grant, hadn't used him during the initial appearances of Lobo - the way he was handled certainly suggested Grant's style. In fact, the entire tone of the episode did, now I come to think on it. You could easily have substituted Hex for Strontium Dog's Johnny Alpha, from the pages of 2000AD
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:I recall him (or an alien very, very like him) popping up here and there in assorted Superman and Green lantern titles during the Silver Age'.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Alan Grant, hadn't used him during the initial appearances of Lobo - the way he was handled certainly suggested Grant's style. In fact, the entire tone of the episode did, now I come to think on it. You could easily have substituted Hex for Strontium Dog's Johnny Alpha, from the pages of 2000AD
Good point. It was probably something of a tip of the hat to the period in the comics when Hex was thrown into a post-Apocalyptic future as well.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 am

Zoltar wrote:Good point. It was probably something of a tip of the hat to the period in the comics when Hex was thrown into a post-Apocalyptic future as well.
Oh, you're right. I'd actually forgotten they'd done that to poor old Jonah. Wasn't that immediately following the period where it was revealed that Hex (Western hex, that is) ended his days stuffed and mounted as in exhibit in a travelling Wild West show. Back during the period when Michael Fleisher's writing was going through a particularly grim and bloody period?
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Oh, you're right. I'd actually forgotten they'd done that to poor old Jonah. Wasn't that immediately following the period where it was revealed that Hex (Western hex, that is) ended his days stuffed and mounted as in exhibit in a travelling Wild West show. Back during the period when Michael Fleisher's writing was going through a particularly grim and bloody period?
I think it was. That's got to be the worst fate for a lead character in mainstream comics, ending your days as a stuffed exhibit. Fortunately, he's doing better now - forthcoming feature film and all.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Zoltar wrote:I think it was. That's got to be the worst fate for a lead character in mainstream comics, ending your days as a stuffed exhibit. Fortunately, he's doing better now - forthcoming feature film and all.
Indeed it was a terrible and ignoble fate for such a great character. But then again, I suppose that was Fleisher's point. Live a grim, violent life - expect an ignominious and ironic fate following death. It was very much a companion piece to his controversial take on the Spectre - although the irony there was that all he had done with that particular character was take it back to its Golden Age roots.

Still, I'm quietly looking forward to the film.

Last edited by Sid Seadevil on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:Indeed it was a terrible and ignoble fate for such a great character. But then again, I suppose that was Fleisher's point. Live a grim, violent life - expect an ignominious and ironic fate following death. It was very much a companion piece to his controversial take on the Spectre - although the irony there was that all he had done with that particular character was take it back to its Golden Age roots.

Still, I'm quietly looking forward to the film.
Agreed, on all counts.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Zoltar wrote:Agreed, on all counts.
Now, I suppose the question for the show now is which characters we would most like to see featured as Bats "ally of the week"?

I vote for the Creeper.

Oh, oh - and particularly The Shadow!

I so, so want to see an animated version of the Shadow.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:49 am

Sid Seadevil wrote:Now, I suppose the question for the show now is which characters we would most like to see featured as Bats "ally of the week"?

I vote for the Creeper.

Oh, oh - and particularly The Shadow!

I so, so want to see an animated version of the Shadow.
Me too, I wonder if DC's got the TV rights to him? They're getting ready to do a story in the comics involving The Spirit and Doc Savage, either of them would be a great ally.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Zoltar wrote:Me too, I wonder if DC's got the TV rights to him? They're getting ready to do a story in the comics involving The Spirit and Doc Savage, either of them would be a great ally.
Good question. The rights to the Shadow are so damned convoluted that it's actually amazing that he manages to appear anywhere. Certainly, the Grey Chost story from Batman: The Animated Series, - if I recall correctly - was originally intended to be a Shadow team-up - but that had to be altered at the last moment due to rights issues.

I'd more than welcome either Doc Savage or the Spirit guesting though.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoltar Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Sid Seadevil wrote:
Zoltar wrote:Me too, I wonder if DC's got the TV rights to him? They're getting ready to do a story in the comics involving The Spirit and Doc Savage, either of them would be a great ally.
Good question. The rights to the Shadow are so damned convoluted that it's actually amazing that he manages to appear anywhere. Certainly, the Grey Chost story from Batman: The Animated Series, - if I recall correctly - was originally intended to be a Shadow team-up - but that had to be altered at the last moment due to rights issues.

I'd more than welcome either Doc Savage or the Spirit guesting though.
It's a shame really, cos the Shadow is crying out for an animated series really. I mean, visually, he's perfect for one and drawing vintage cars and locations costs a lot less than filming them in live-action would.
Zoltar
Zoltar
Caring Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next