Outpost Wrinkly
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor

+9
Rich Flair
Sid Seadevil
barnaby morbius
Jennyjenkins
stanmore
Zoltar
Patrick
The Co=Ordinator
Frank
13 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Empty Re: Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 am

Any better last night Frank?
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Number of posts : 11054
Awards : Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Person10
Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Richfl10

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Empty Re: Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor

Post by Frank Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:23 am

A bit. Without close friends being there it would have been very grim, I'm afraid, so thank God they came along. We flogged 10 copies in an hour and a half. Blackwell are pleased as 'academic' books never usually make it into double figures on a launch and I've had reports that a few more sold in the shop this morning.

Blackwell were very good and did instore posters and promotion and social media stuff. The Who Shop, very nice people that they are, did very little and basically shot themselves in the foot as far as promoting it went. I know the publishers were not best pleased with them.

Signed copies still available at Blackwell Manchester, at the Who Shop and at Classic TV Press.

And bless Paul Winter for getting some stock in to offer to DWAS members. We really appreciate that gesture. You guys at DWAS have been first class.

Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 922
Awards : Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Person10
Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Creato10

http://www.cathoderaytube.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:29 am

We try our best. Paul deals with offers for members, and it was his idea. Smile
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Richfl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:39 am

Well, it all helps. And you get a mention in the acknowledgements. I essentially blame you for it all Very Happy

On a side note - have you told me which story I'm covering for your last issue? You may have told me but I can't recall.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Creato10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:41 am

Blame me for everything? You sound like Mrs C=O. Laughing

You're doing Robots of Death for issue 395. Wink
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:48 am

I'm sure Mrs C=O often has good enough reason! Laughing

Ah, I thought it was RoD. I shall start on that over Christmas.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 am

Most kind. I am much obliged. rendeer
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 am

Sorry to hear things didn't go better, Frank. But on the up-side 10 copies is very good for an academic work. Especially since the Who Shop so badly fumbled the ball on the promotional front.

Stout heart Teg...er...old chap.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Number of posts : 8275
Location : Back from charting the Undiscovered Country - it wasn't all that
Awards : Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Poster10
Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Person10
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 am

Don't feel disheartened by the book signings, Frank - what really matters are the reviews and the sales I think .Ten people seems quite reasonable from what I've heard anyway.

Amazon have dispatched my copy but given the post situation in Scotland (and Dundee East has additional problems) I don't know when I'll get it... My sister is giving me the VFX book you reviewed so favourably but I don't know when I'll get that either... Or my other Christmas parcels... Or my Christmas cards... Or... Are you all sobbing yet? Laughing

I did actually get some post today including my first Christmas cards - and a letter sent first class by my sister on 29 November. Shocked Laughing
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Number of posts : 695
Awards : Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Kindes10
Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Person10

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:38 am

Still not got the book - or much else!

Article in The Guardian

Article in The Courier
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Awards : Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Kindes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:47 am

andrea wrote:Still not got the book - or much else!

Article in The Guardian

Article in The Courier
Ah, it's a time such as this that I don't mourn my decision to resign from the front line of Royal Mail lo, those many years ago.

Remember: pity your Postie - despise his/her clueless bosses.

I hope the book arrives soon, andrea.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Awards : Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Poster10

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 am

I do pity the posties, especially in this weather. They generally do very well, are pleasant and some problems because of the current weather and the Christmas post are inevitable. It's just this new system seems to have... well, messed things up. Post twice a week at unpredictable times and some of it taking much longer than it should is not really what anyone wants!
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:58 am

My copy has just arrived and since it is not a Christmas present I am free to start reading it immediately. Well, after hoovering, dusting, going to tesco etc.

Or maybe I could just have a little peep at it first...
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:09 am

Wonderful news, andrea! Be sure to report back once you've finished it! Smile
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:16 am

Well, my first dips into it reassured me that it didn't seem way beyond my understanding (don't laugh - I'm a maths and engineering type) and that it looked as interesting as I had not merely hoped but had expected, given its author!

Very much looking forward to reading it.
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:26 am

Excellent news, Andrea. Glad it arrived. I hope you enjoy it.

For those still unsure whether to dip in and buy it then I would certainly ask you to read this review on Horrorview.com

It certainly left me feeling as if it was really all worthwhile. Forgive the shameless self-promotion...but a good review is a good review!
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:35 am

I'm getting my copy through the DWAS Frank. Will read it when panto et al is out of the way & I can rejoin the human race. Allegedly.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Barlow Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:44 am

I'm tempted, but as I'm not a big fan of S5 generally then I'm not hugely enamoured at the idea of reading a book on it, no matter how good I'm sure Frank's writing is.

So if you were to consider a book on the RTD era, I'd definitely buy it Smile
Nick Barlow
Nick Barlow
Councillor Mod

Number of posts : 1213

http://www.nickbarlow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:46 am

From fairly considerable first hand knowledge I have to say that Frank's writing is ALWAYS worth reading, regardless of whether it is about something you like of dislike.
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sid Seadevil Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 am

The Co=Ordinator wrote:From fairly considerable first hand knowledge I have to say that Frank's writing is ALWAYS worth reading, regardless of whether it is about something you like of dislike.
I ABSOLUTELY[/b] agree with this.
Sid Seadevil
Sid Seadevil
Older than Sid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Flair Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:52 am

You never know, Nick, he may give series 5 a right good slagging off, thus re-affirming your dislike!
Rich Flair
Rich Flair
Master Deviant

Number of posts : 1656

Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by The Co=Ordinator Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:37 am

By the way Frank, I love the way that the last two merchandise offers were signed by Colin Baker & Peter Purves. Now it's signed by Frank Collins!

http://www.doctorwhoappreciationsociety.co.uk/
The Co=Ordinator
The Co=Ordinator
Tony the CyberAdmin

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Nick Barlow wrote:I'm tempted, but as I'm not a big fan of S5 generally then I'm not hugely enamoured at the idea of reading a book on it, no matter how good I'm sure Frank's writing is.

So if you were to consider a book on the RTD era, I'd definitely buy it Smile
In a way the fact that I'm not entirely sure what to make of S5 makes me keener to read a book which will give me new thoughts and ideas about it. Which isn't to say I wouldn't appreciate books on the other series as well of course. Come on Frank, a nice little row of books, your name on the spine of every one...? Smile
andrea
andrea
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 am

I'd love to do a book on the RTD era. Whether I can find someone to publish it is another matter!

With regard to S5, I'm not its greatest fan. It is flawed but there is a great deal to enjoy. I don't slag the season off in the book. That wouldn't be cricket. But I try to find a balance of praise where it is due and criticism where it is necessary.
Frank
Frank
Justified and ancient

Back to top Go down

Post by barnaby morbius Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:09 am

Frank wrote:I'd love to do a book on the RTD era. Whether I can find someone to publish it is another matter!

With regard to S5, I'm not its greatest fan. It is flawed but there is a great deal to enjoy. I don't slag the season off in the book. That wouldn't be cricket. But I try to find a balance of praise where it is due and criticism where it is necessary.

i'm going to get it- we need to support struggling writers!
barnaby morbius
barnaby morbius
What about moi computer?

Number of posts : 1609
Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor - Page 3 Lionhe10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next